Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Very interested in a RR with information on how hanging works out! This is a run I want to make before the kickstand goes down forever. Someone posted the idea of a hammock with separate skeeter net and a ground cloth with pad. You just set up the tarp (using a trekking pole and tent stakes), ground cloth, and skeeter net arranged like a bivy for your TQ etc when you must go to ground (shudder).

My knees are so shot that the hammock is pretty much mandatory, thus the interest in how you make it work.

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well for the tree situation I think I will be able to make it without going to ground. I can say when I was up there the tree's are certainly big enough further down south only when you get close to Inuvik it might be a problem... The tree's get much smaller on the other side of the mountains.

Now that I think though the department that I work for had a tent frame out there and it held up. I know it will be hard but I think with enough looking around you can find the right tree's.

Also as a side note the trip is going to be in July/August if you want to come along. I already shipped my Mefo knobby tires to someone I know out there to put em on right before the dempster. Ofcourse though you could wait and have the benifit of having me make all the mistakes lol!. We are planning on camping pretty much every night and mostly eating on the road and at the campsite.

How thick do you think a tree needs to be to handle my 230lb bag of bones in a hammock? I have friends there still and I can recall about how large the tree's were.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I think the DB and superfly is a good choice. As u said size is critical as is versatility. You can use the tarp if you need to go to ground. I'd take foam pad for insulation. It can go between layers of the DB or go on the ground. I have and like my IX uq, but I wouldn't take it on the trip you plan. The foam is bulkier, but more versite. Not much padding with IX, but it is warm. Have fun.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    So would you suggest just a ground pad for under the hammock? Thinking protection plus waterproof?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Superfly all the way

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    Quote Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
    So would you suggest just a ground pad for under the hammock? Thinking protection plus waterproof?
    The only times that I could think about using a ground pad is if it's muddy and you want a clean area around your hammock or if you want to lay some of your gear on the ground. In those cases I would think to use tyvek.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    The only times that I could think about using a ground pad is if it's muddy and you want a clean area around your hammock or if you want to lay some of your gear on the ground. In those cases I would think to use tyvek.
    Well I think I might just rough it. I think I'll save on pack weight and just use the tarp alone. When I was 14 I would camp just under a piece of plastic and a piece of blue foam in a sleeping bag and I was fine. So no ground tarp.

BTW I placed my order for the superfly in Camo. I think it's a good tarp for versatility and in the future maybe I'll look at getting something smaller to carry. Also plan on making a DIY Hammock so I'll make a lightweigh so I will have a summer kit and a adverse weather/winter kit.

Looking good so far. Now I need to spend countless hours researching sleeping bags and top quilts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234