WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Just got home, safe and sound. Great trip, report likely to follow. Site 10 was a great success and during my solitude on Saturday I found lots of fun trails to explore next time. Had a great time*chatting with everyone at what was my first backpacking potluck.
    A warm and comfy weekend adventure out in the woods is just what I needed to charge up my battery. Thank you guys so much for your company.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    ....did everyone bail out after just one night?? Sure glad the Ranger didn't have a hiss fit over the vehicles like he did in June. Was site 9 really that full? Perfect snow and weather for everyone though, I was totally envious as I watched the snow fall. (would have been a great Saturday to go tubing).

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    ....did everyone bail out after just one night?? Sure glad the Ranger didn't have a hiss fit over the vehicles like he did in June. Was site 9 really that full? Perfect snow and weather for everyone though, I was totally envious as I watched the snow fall. (would have been a great Saturday to go tubing).
    Guess, I just know how to ruin a party, If this happens again next year I might take it personally. So once again folks the only person to stay two nights at a frosty hang in Ohio is... a Hoosier! (just sayin) (Ok I'm done about that).

Site 9 was packed to the gills with Bush Crafters, I think around 17 at one point. But it was actually a blessing in disguise, Site 10 is pretty dang cool. It can easily handle as many hangers as site 9 (tents not so much). Great views of the river and opposing ridge. Also some smallish cliff bluffs to climb around on, not as much traffic either.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeMadeHiker View Post
    Guess, I just know how to ruin a party, If this happens again next year I might take it personally. So once again folks the only person to stay two nights at a frosty hang in Ohio is... a Hoosier! (just sayin) (Ok I'm done about that).

Site 9 was packed to the gills with Bush Crafters, I think around 17 at one point. But it was actually a blessing in disguise, Site 10 is pretty dang cool. It can easily handle as many hangers as site 9 (tents not so much). Great views of the river and opposing ridge. Also some smallish cliff bluffs to climb around on, not as much traffic either.
    I like site 10 far better than site 9....however it is noisier there (or at least it was in summer and fall). Other than the noise factor, it is my fave so far. I'd like to try some of the others on the other side though. I haven't stayed at any of those yet. My only other problem with us going to the Mohican area is that there is just too much to do in that area, so we're never at camp for too long during the days. It's just more of a sleep area for us.

Way to nail the Buckeyes, with a good Hoosier slam though If we head out, it's for at least two nights....unless we have to bail because of a leaky tarp, like we did our last time out, heck, we didn't even get our first night in

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Glad you all had a good time, maybe I can make the next one. I went to Brown Hollow for the night last night and had a great time and thought about your hang.
    Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Packed up and left around 4ish Friday for Mohican.

Heading north on SR 3 just before downtown Loudonville a deer came out from the east attempting to cross the road.

It struck my car, destroyed my passenger side mirror, dented my passenger door in to the point it can't open and dinged up my passenger rear quarter panel.

BE CAREFUL DRIVING ANYTIME BUT ESPECIALLY AFTER DARK ON BACK ROADS. DEER ARE DANGEROUS!!!

If I had arrived there a split second later and T-boned it, who knows what would have happened.

I usually attempt to be at camp before dusk to avoid situations such as these. If it had been light, I may have seen the deer heading for the road, maybe not but I would have had a better chance at least.

I stop into McDonald's to assess the damage to my car. I swing back through to see if the deer is still there. It hopped off into the woods.

Successfully shaken up, I head the mile or so to the park and pack lot. Attempt to make it up the hill and end up sliding all the way back down to the lower lot. I admit defeat, squeeze my car in to an empty spot at the lower lot, and head in for the hike to spot 10.

I like spot 10 better than 9, however, even in the winter, there were kids/teenagers/youngins getting rowdy at the cabins below after midnight so I could only imagine the noise during high season.

I make it to camp. Luke, HomeMadeHiker, Bannerstone, USMCStang, CB and his wife Monica (I believe? I can barely remember forum names not to mention real names ) and Loki their dog (who was very well behaved and a ball of fun), and Brother Jeffrey were there.

I made camp and settled around a nice fire with great eats (the chocolate banana bread is a cold weather must! Stayed defrosted, moist, and delicious even at below freezing temps all day and night).

Hit the hay around 11-midnight. Slept fine in my tablecloth hammock with stacked 15* Incubator and 40* Phoenix with stacked 40* and 20* Burrows on top. Superfly tarp kept the snow off me. Temperature hit 20 according to my thermometer and we got maybe 1-3 inches of snow overnight.

Woke up, broke camp and hung around the fire Saturday morning. Hiked the MTB trail back to site 9 to say hey to the BCUSA guys. They had some interesting setups (and even a few hammocks!). Some of the hot tents looked toasty. Most of us headed out to check out spots 1-3 on the southern side of the park.

The next warmer weather hang should be planned for these spots. There is a stream crossing to reach them (hence why we would want to wait for warmer weather to plan to hang there), but the sites looked pretty cool and you wouldn't have to pack a gallon of water like we have to do at spots 8-10 as spots 1-3 are right on the creek. Trailhead coordinates for spots 1-3 are 40° 35' 49" N, 82° 18' 46" W

All in all a fun night (except the deer situation, of course).

Got to hang with good friends and meet some new folks.

Did Treeslayer ever meet up with you HomeMadeHiker? Felt bad leaving the guy that traveled the furthest all by his lonesome on Saturday.
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 01-28-2013 at 08:10.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    Did Treeslayer ever meet up with you HomeMadeHiker? Felt bad leaving the guy that traveled the furthest all by his lonesome on Saturday.
    He sure did, we had a great time chattin about this and that by the fire.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Glad you're ok Eric...sorry about the car damage.

So, what did you think about those other sites?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Glad you're ok Eric...sorry about the car damage.

So, what did you think about those other sites?
    The hike is about the same distance but a pretty decent climb on the way out for the non-backpacker types.

Spots 1-3 are right on the creek. You actually need to wade through the stream to access the camp sites - pretty cool. Once the water is warm enough we should plan a hang at one of the spots (2 looked to be the coolest of what we saw [mind you we couldn't cross the stream]).

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415