WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thinking about trying to get there since my Mt. Rogers trip turned into an overnight. It would be Saturday, though. Is the potluck on Friday or Saturday night? Definitely going to keep this in mind.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The potluck is Friday, I believe, but I'm coming in on Saturday and bringing group feed so I'd say there will be a steady stream of food all weekend

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ &amp; M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    I was going to prepare my chili on Saturday, but friday works for me. If I get there in time.
    Last edited by HomeMadeHiker; 01-21-2013 at 20:07.
    Directionally challenged...comicly so.

Not all who wonder are lost...But I'm probably just lost.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, actually, I don't think it's going to work out after all. Still trying to get organized and dry/clean my gear. Also, my son's Cub Scout Pinewood Derby is Saturday and I'd have to leave after that was over, so it would be Saturday late afternoon at the earliest. At 3 1/2 hours to get there, it makes a lot of driving for a very short overnight. I'll just try to catch the next one. You all have fun up there!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Okay guys, I'm totally taking back my hike in plans for this weekend. I went up today and hiked in on the Hemlock trail then tried to pop up out of the gorge to site 9. Definately not happening. Later I did get up on the North Rim trail for a while and tried to get my bearings but I ran out of time because I wanted to get back out in time to call my safety contact person. I did get in 5 or 6 miles of hiking in some pretty nippy weather. What I got confused on was the bike path on the top of the gorge, wasn't sure if it was part of the North Rim Trail or not. I've got some other maps to consult maybe I can figure it out. In short there are only a couple of places where it's even possible to climb up out of the gorge without gear.

Ive decided to just hike in from the parking lot like I always do and enjoy some group feed and good company. Let's hope for some good ole Ohio winter weather.

David

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Thanks for the scouting intel Dave.

Hope you avoided the pile-up on 71 Dave.

Hammock
    Wife Made
    Tarp
    Wife Made
    Insulation
    Wife Made
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the Intel. What time is the potluck kicking off on Friday? We are thinking we can come Friday afternoon/evening. Doesn't sound like dessert had been discussed?
    Travel Journal: http://clackstont100.weebly.com/

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by robblandon View Post
    Hope you avoided the pile-up on 71 Dave.
    I did. I like driving up the 3C Highway, it's very scenic and relaxing but you may have to wait on a few horse and buggies.

David

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Thanks for the response HomeMadeHiker.......but it appears I was having pipe dreams. She isn't even released from the hospital yet, and through these past couple of days, I've come to the shocking, emotional realization that my dad's dementia has really progressed fast, so when I finally get to take her back to her home, I'll have my hands full with both of them. I've been trying to mentally hide from that part of my dad's world/mind....however; I guess it's time to pull my head out of my butt, stop excusing it, and regretfully face it.

I miss all of you!!! Have a great time, I hope it snows, and you all get to test your cold weather gear. I'm probably going to try mid February to hit this area again because it's so close to the ski lodge, and I don't want to completely miss "Winter". Hopefully some of you could head out again then.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast