WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Had to Abort Mission! Extreme wind!

I Set up in the yard while battling 40mph+ winds!(And Snow). I planned on staying out there tonight to get ready for Mt Rogers next month but after I laid down for a bit the wind kept picking up. Im pretty sure there were a couple of gusts that reached 50-60mph!! 15 miles away from me at Grandfather Mtn they recorded a 121mph gust tonight! The Guy line for my superfly snapped and sent the tarp pressing against me in the hammock. The wind actually started to swing me and I decided to get out and pack it up (tough task!).

This brings me to question...How much wind have any of you been able to endure?? I definitely have to say that the SF was taking a beating but held up great! I cant believe that my guy line gave before any component on the tarp! Big Props to WB!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Tough break, no pun intended. Try again tomorrow after the wind dies down.

Agreed on the SF. That's a great promotional video(if there is one). "So strong, you'll break your lines before the tarp". Great job Brandon.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have also sustained winds in the SF up to 60 mph. Held up great. I did have shock cord on each tie out that helped with the tension and the wind. Nothing broke on mine.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Major advantage the woods have is that you can generally pick a more sheltered spot to setup in. I know in my backyard I've only got one place to hang, and if the weather is not favorable for that spot (wind direction mostly) I'm stuck inside in the bed.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    May I ask what your tie outs were made out of... I know the SF doesn't come with any so I was wondering what broke... Hoping its not zing it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    On my last hang a gale force wind in a driving snow storm just pulled my needle stakes out of the ground and sent my cuben tarp flapping high. Me...I was out in a snow storm in an open hammock with gear blowing away. I ended up doing a bivy under my buddy's WB SF until it got light enough for us to break camp. The SF held(but I think it had something to do with my stakes).

a while back i was camping and was faced with sideways rain and 50 mph gusts.steady 40 plus, my fly came unstaked once, i wrestled with it and tied my shroud line to a root that was sticking up out of the ground. the other side never did come loose. yes i was a rockin. loved it.i have a claytor jungle hammock and fly with tree straps and cinch rings set up. thought for sure i was going to be wet by morning. i snuggled up in my intermediate marine corps sleeping bag and fell asleep. next morning was sunny out, outside the hammock everything was still very wet, but me, the hammock, and my sleeping bag were dry.im glad i made sure there were no dead branches up those trees before i set up !there was wood everywhere when i got out of the hammock to walk around.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Not sure what the speeds were, but I have been in some significant winds. One was a nor'easter storm a few years back. A tree came down nearby (I thought it landed on Ordin Aryguy). Serious winds is just one reason I use good knots and tie off to other trees/saplings instead of using stakes and/or other hardware. (Just one characteristic in my site selection protocols).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Major advantage the woods have is that you can generally pick a more sheltered spot to setup in. I know in my backyard I've only got one place to hang, and if the weather is not favorable for that spot (wind direction mostly) I'm stuck inside in the bed.
    I only have one hang spot in my yard also. That is where I was and I guess I learned not to go out there in those conditions anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    May I ask what your tie outs were made out of... I know the SF doesn't come with any so I was wondering what broke... Hoping its not zing it...
    My tie outs were some camo cord I got at wally world a few years ago in the camp section. It is kind of cotton like stuff and I know it is nothing special however, I have used the same stuff in many different situations and it held great. I was using a truckers hitch and it broke at the cinch point. I definitely need to invest in some Zing it!!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    40 mph wiinds using a combination of gutter nails and msr groundhogs for stakes is the best I have done. The Ti stakes wouldn't hold in that wind, they kept coming out.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast