Just Jeff.........Thanx for the link

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking

Hope I don't de-rail the subject

Been interested in hangin' for years too. Newbie here also. Maybe I'm searching wrong but maybe you guys can help. What about those of us with a "fussy spine"? I have to lay on my side (just right) and straight. Crushed disks dictate. Yet my ground dwelling system prevails in weight. Any additional input for wanna-be hangers like us?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of folks here with back surgeries and pain thought their days in the woods were over until they tried hammocks. Everyone's issues are different so there's really no way to know for sure until you try a few. There are different ways to set up hammocks that change how they lay, so it might be worth it for you to drive down to one of the hangouts and have someone walk you thru a few models before you decide. And inflatable pads like Expeds and Big Agnes can also change how it supports your back...play around with it to see if it works for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ziggy, although I've never sustained a back injury (knock on wood), I'm a dedicated side sleeper. I lay very flat in my ENO DoubleNest just slightly asym and am very comfortable like that.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I broke back vertebrae & ribs in 2002 & I'm thankful for how well I've healed. I believe the disk issues are far more tricky, & like Jeff said everyone's different.
    My biggest issue is scar tissue from the surgeries that makes laying on anything too firm, painful, so I sleep on an Exped Down Air Mat (DAM) in my hammock. Been using that system nightly for quite a while now.
    I spend a fair amount of time sleeping on my side too. I use the DAM softly inflated & it conforms & supports me perfectly.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy Trek View Post
    Been interested in hangin' for years too. Newbie here also. Maybe I'm searching wrong but maybe you guys can help. What about those of us with a "fussy spine"? I have to lay on my side (just right) and straight. Crushed disks dictate. Yet my ground dwelling system prevails in weight. Any additional input for wanna-be hangers like us?
    Not to be picky Ziggy but I think you mean herniated (intervertebral) discs, not crushed discs, if you had the latter, you'd be on a morphine drip somewhere, until they fixed it.

In any event, you can sleep "in between" in most hammocks, not on your side and not on your back, think 45, you can't do that on a $2000 mattress.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    Cannibal.......... Thanx for the generous offer. If I can work it out for 09, and if your serious, I would like to try to take you up on that offer. What underquilt would you advise?
    Of course the offer is serious; I'm always looking for an excuse to camp.

As far as the underquilts go, kinda depends on your priorities and tolerances. I haven't really found a 'bad' one yet, but I'm partial to the Warbonnet torso quilts now known as the Yetis. I've got all three of the major quilt makers represented in my basement; Jacks R Better, Warbonnet, and Speer. All great and all with strengths and weaknesses over the others. Not an easy choice.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Looking
    Tarp
    Looking
    Insulation
    Looking

Thumbs up Wow, Good info!

Thank you guys -- I now have direction. Take-a-knee, yes, they just looked crushed on the MRI. Oddly, over the years the situation has improved and not worsened.

Well this information will save me some wasted time or money when I take the plunge. The Mid State Trail, in PA, is said to be a hangers trail. Not many spots for ground dwellers.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Of course the offer is serious; I'm always looking for an excuse to camp.
    Get y'alls selves some airplane tickets out here & join us at Mt Rogers in Jan
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Ziggytrek,
    I here you and feel for you. In 2002 I went thru surgery that left me with rods and pins between L5-S1. I thought my camping days were over. Then came the hammock. Works great, no problems. I sleep better in it than my own bed at home. After hiking all day, the hammock affords me a good nights sleep. Hope it works out for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast