Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Newbie

Another Newbie

I happened to run across this forum while I was looking for lightweight backpacking gear. I have camped my whole life in a tent. The only place I had ever seen a hammock was in the backyard, never in the woods.I guess I wasn't running with the right crowd. Anyway I am planning an elk hunting trip to Colorado next year in September. I think, after a lot of reading, that a hammock is the way to go, but I have a few questions.

1. Which one? There are soooooooo many. The one that I like the best(from pic's on the net) is the Hennessy's.

2. I will be backpacking in quite a ways in and for 1 week + and I will be moving camp daily(carring it on my back) so I am trying to keep space and weight to a minimum. As far as insulation goes, I will have a Marmot Hydrogen 30* down bag. I know I will need more and I saw the undercover and pad and the overcover. I was wondering how low this would take me.

3.I plan on upgrading to a bigger tarp than what comes with most tarps. The one I like so far in the Speer winter tarp. Good choice???????

I have been reading non-stop on this forum and several other web sites for the last week. There's a lot of info to absorb so I figured I would ask a few spicific ?'s. I'm sure I will have a lot more in the future.

This is a great site.

Thanx for your responses in advance,
    Scrat

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site.

1) My first hammock was a Hennessy. It's kinda the gateway hammock. Some like it as their favorite, many go on to other hammocks.

2)Cant speak for the undercover/overcover. Most use pads and or an underquilt.

3)The Speer winter tarp would be a fine choice for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrat View Post
    I happened to run across this forum while I was looking for lightweight backpacking gear. I have camped my whole life in a tent. The only place I had ever seen a hammock was in the backyard, never in the woods.I guess I wasn't running with the right crowd. Anyway I am planning an elk hunting trip to Colorado next year in September. I think, after a lot of reading, that a hammock is the way to go, but I have a few questions.

1. Which one? There are soooooooo many. The one that I like the best(from pic's on the net) is the Hennessy's.

2. I will be backpacking in quite a ways in and for 1 week + and I will be moving camp daily(carring it on my back) so I am trying to keep space and weight to a minimum. As far as insulation goes, I will have a Marmot Hydrogen 30* down bag. I know I will need more and I saw the undercover and pad and the overcover. I was wondering how low this would take me.

3.I plan on upgrading to a bigger tarp than what comes with most tarps. The one I like so far in the Speer winter tarp. Good choice???????

I have been reading non-stop on this forum and several other web sites for the last week. There's a lot of info to absorb so I figured I would ask a few spicific ?'s. I'm sure I will have a lot more in the future.

This is a great site.

Thanx for your responses in advance,
    Scrat
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - what FF said. Most folks seem to start with one of the HH models and move on from there. Also check out www.speerhammocks.com, www.warbonnetoutdoors.net, and www.jacksrbetter.com.

For insulation, you'll need something substantial on bottom for Colorado in September. What kind of insulation depends on the lowest temps you expect. Underquilts will be warmest for bulk, and CCF pads will be warmest by weight. Each has advantages and disadvantages over the other, though...read up on the option to see what's right for you. You can also combine them...like a 30F underquilt with a 1/2" CCF pad for pretty cold temps, if the pad doesn't give you back sweats.

Good idea to get a larger tarp. Be sure to check out the MacCat (www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com) in addition to the more rectangular winter tarps.

This site might help you with the basics:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html
    Last edited by Just Jeff; 12-31-2008 at 21:10.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, and you may as well buy one of each. My personal favorites are the Claytor Jungle, the Bear Mountain Bridge, modified to 36 inches and the Warbonnet Blackbird, but in reverse order. Good luck on your search. As mentioned above, the Hennessy is a good choice too, and like the Claytor comes as a nearly complete package. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Scrat!

Here's an idea. Hunters need to recon their prey right (I'm not a hunter)? So, just come on out to Colorado for a little recon. I've got several hammocks (including a Hennessy, Warbonnets, TrekLight, Claytor, etc...blah, blah, blah), and I'll take you hiking with the hammock of your choice. You can learn me the ways of the hunter and I'll learn you the ways of the hanger.

First lesson: Underquilts gooooooooood. Undercovers confusing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Scrat,

Welcome to the hanging gang.....Lot of choices in good gear these days... Hard to really go wrong, just evaluate based on your personal style/preferences.... Your starting considerations, HH and Speer tarp are both great choices.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Thanx everyone for the welcome.

I want to appologize I made a mistake in my first post, I will be going on the hunt(my first in Colorado) in Sept 2010.

Just Jeff..........the lowest temp could be in the 20's. You never know in the Colorado mountains. I had a buddy who went last year and the lows went from 50's one night to them having 6" of snow the next, so I want to be prepared for anything. I tried the Warbonnet link and it didn't work. I have read a little about them and I would really like to check them out. Thanx for the MacCat link, I really like those. I have read a lot on the to the woods link as well. Thanx for the response.

skskinner....... thanx for the response. I haven't seen the Claytor Jungle but the other two I have. I will check it out.

Cannibal.......... Thanx for the generous offer. If I can work it out for 09, and if your serious, I would like to try to take you up on that offer. What underquilt would you advise?

From what I gather from the responses and what I have read so far, I guess the best thing for me to do is buy one see if I like it and if I don't, buy another and another until I find the one for me.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Scrat ......
    Lotsa choices and all good ones.
    I have one I made myself from Just Jeffs Site and A Warbonnet Blackbird.
    I have a video review in the Warbonnet hammock section of this site or here is the link to YouTube: Warbonnet BlackBird Hammock

I find pads always work and UQs are wonderful. In combo ... they are truly failsafe.
    You will find tons of helpful folks on this forum.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Shug......... thanx for the link. Very good review. I like the triangular ring and webbing design.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast