Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Trail stick suspension

This is an idea that was spawned off of Bonepile's SRS(single ring suspension thread). It involves using a length of cord from the hammock and an ordinary trail stick as the adjustable point of the suspension. The idea is that the tail end of the rope is constricted under the loops formed around the trail stick. To me it is important to choose a stick that is both rigid and at least 6" long. One about 1/2" thick should be good. Also, keeping the loops toward the center, to avoid them coming off the ends, is a good idea. The original way I rigged this, is with two opposing half hitches. I actually hung my hammock from this and it worked without slipping. However, I think for safety's sake, making three wraps in between the hitches would be better. This idea is brand new, and has not been thoroughly tested. I am merely throwing it out there as an option for a lightweight suspension. Hang at your own risk!

Here is the original that I hung from.

This is what I would recommend doing. Three wraps bewteen the opposing half hitches.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    This is an idea that was spawned off of Bonepile's SRS(single ring suspension thread). It involves using a length of cord from the hammock and an ordinary trail stick as the adjustable point of the suspension. The idea is that the tail end of the rope is constricted under the loops formed around the trail stick. To me it is important to choose a stick that is both rigid and at least 6" long. One about 1/2" thick should be good. Also, keeping the loops toward the center, to avoid them coming off the ends, is a good idea. The original way I rigged this, is with two opposing half hitches. I actually hung my hammock from this and it worked without slipping. However, I think for safety's sake, making three wraps in between the hitches would be better. This idea is brand new, and has not been thoroughly tested. I am merely throwing it out there as an option for a lightweight suspension. Hang at your own risk!

Here is the original that I hung from.

This is what I would recommend doing. Three wraps bewteen the opposing half hitches.
    I love it! No rings or hardware to carry. Just using what mother nature provides. How cool is that.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonepile View Post
    I love it! No rings or hardware to carry. Just using what mother nature provides. How cool is that.
    That's cooler than a Frozen Butt hang in Minnesota
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I've been playing with this some too.

Do you find it has a greater tendency to slip when not loaded? My limited experiments suggest it might but I didn't try this last iteration with the wraps in between the opposing hitches.

I'm not trading my whoopies or straps yet but it's a dandy little bit of backup information to have if nothing else!

HFG Approved!
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Whatever else it does, it makes it possible to hang without slipping and without knowing how to tie knots. I know, it has half hitches, but I don't really believe they should be called knots as they are only twists in the rope. A big plus is that beyond the cost of the suspension line it is free. Light weight and free and effective, that has got to appeal to someone.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    I've been playing with this some too.

Do you find it has a greater tendency to slip when not loaded? My limited experiments suggest it might but I didn't try this last iteration with the wraps in between the opposing hitches.

I'm not trading my whoopies or straps yet but it's a dandy little bit of backup information to have if nothing else!

HFG Approved!
    When I initially tried it on an allen key, it slipped when I pulled on it. I would think you could use something slick, such as a length of arrow shaft, but I would then definitely recommend the additional three wraps. I didnt find any problems adjusting with the trail stick. I will say that I am using the SRS suspension. However, if I lose a ring while in the woods, it's nice to know this is a viable option. I am not a gram weenie yet, so carrying the rings is ok with me. However, those who are could use this and not carry any hardware.
    RON

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The catch as I see it is that with the stick, the minimum hang distance is about the same as a whoopie sling so there is no gain, but you still have to find the correct sticks and assemble the suspension on site with each use.

It is nice knowledge to have as a backup though...

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The catch as I see it is that with the stick, the minimum hang distance is about the same as a whoopie sling so there is no gain, but you still have to find the correct sticks and assemble the suspension on site with each use.

You are absolutely right. There is no real advantage over the whoopies I was using. This will not be a suspension for everyone. But, one advantage would be to Hennessey users, that have the suspension cord already rigged on the hammock. This is an option to use without removing the suspension. That is the beauty of having multiple suspension options. There's one for everybody.
    RON

Hammock
    grand trunks ultralight hammock
    Tarp
    british army basha
    Insulation
    thermarest pad
    Suspension
    webbing & paracord
    that is a great idea thanks

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post

The gain comes in that you can use much shorter line for the same hang distance. 6' Whoopies use 12' of line. For a 6' adjustable setup like this you could get away with using something probably as short as 7'. With two lines that's 10' of line you save. According to Samson Ropes specs, for 7/64's Amsteel blue, thats a savings of 13.6 grams, just shy of 1/2 ounce.

*No, I don't cut the tags out of my clothes.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast