WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Lowe's and home depot are as far away as any other quality store... But Walmart may be worth a shot, we have one of them out in the sticks

Edit: after looking around fronkey himself uses a different sock than his bug net, has a flap on the side that he can get in and out of, he took it down to -19 or something ridiculously cold like that...

I think that may be the answer to my problem, it requires no shock cord, maybe something to secure the flap(magnet, Velcro) and the ends can just cinch up with knots and paracord... It may take three widths of my material but that's not too bad but we shall see once I ha e some sleep... I have been up 24 hours or so going non stop, poured concrete, drove a few hundred miles, then pulled a 12 hr shift, I is ready for a nap... I'll be back closer to lunch time...
    Last edited by Brute1100; 12-24-2012 at 07:04.
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Lowe's and home depot are as far away as any other quality store... But Walmart may be worth a shot, we have one of them out in the sticks

Edit: after looking around fronkey himself uses a different sock than his bug net, has a flap on the side that he can get in and out of, he took it down to -19 or something ridiculously cold like that...

I think that may be the answer to my problem, it requires no shock cord, maybe something to secure the flap(magnet, Velcro) and the ends can just cinch up with knots and paracord... It may take three widths of my material but that's not too bad but we shall see once I ha e some sleep... I have been up 24 hours or so going non stop, poured concrete, drove a few hundred miles, then pulled a 12 hr shift, I is ready for a nap... I'll be back closer to lunch time...
    I actually did have something to weight down the flap when I went to sleep. I sewed in pockets on the inside that I could throw stuff into and weigh it down. I just used a water bottle and some other things and it worked great.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    My problem is that shock cord cannot be found locally... What about magnets, holding it together... I can get magnets at Walmart, and sew them in the bottom seam to hold it together...
    Try a Jo Ann Fabric place... They have all sorts of cool stuff. rip stop nylon, grosgrain ribbon for tie-outs, cord locks, plastic snap buckles, and other stuff. I found mitten hooks there once, but didn't see them last time. Hobby lobby has some of that stuff too. I've seen shock cord in both places of varying sizes, but I ordered mine from thru-hiker or owfinc, I dont remember which.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

I think a sock and a pad combined with your current set-up will either get you close or too the mark! If you find you get cold a hot water bottle, hand warmers, or adding more clothes will help you out.

Also make sure you eat a big, hearty, calorie dense meal just before bed, also have a pee bottle as this will help you keep the warmth in as when you get out of your hammock to go water the shrubs you will lose all that built up warmth!

One last tip is try not to over-do it, if your body begins to sweat you will get chilled very, very quickly so it's best to add things a piece at a time and give your body a chance to heat up the area, rather than piling it all in there all at once.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    11'ers, playing with wider options
    Tarp
    HG4S, Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Custom, EE
    Suspension
    Whoops, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I think a sock and a pad combined with your current set-up will either get you close or too the mark! If you find you get cold a hot water bottle, hand warmers, or adding more clothes will help you out.

Also make sure you eat a big, hearty, calorie dense meal just before bed, also have a pee bottle as this will help you keep the warmth in as when you get out of your hammock to go water the shrubs you will lose all that built up warmth!

One last tip is try not to over-do it, if your body begins to sweat you will get chilled very, very quickly so it's best to add things a piece at a time and give your body a chance to heat up the area, rather than piling it all in there all at once.
    solid advice!

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    You might work yeah but I agree trial runs are your best bet.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Sock concerns... My fabric is water proof, not breathable... I can't blow through it, is this workable or not?
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123