Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post

The last trick I do is add a trucker windshield screen between my UQ and hammock in the deep cold. This really helps. I'm not sure if the emergency blanket material will have quite the same effect.

All this with a hot water bottle and I've been down into the teens comfortably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    What about a ccf pad inside with you?
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganhanger View Post
    Would you happen to have any old sleeping bags you could mod into a pod? Something like Shug does.
    Considering your lack of time and inability to test at home, these 3 options sound good with the CCF pad the most bomb proof, most likely to get er done. Well, actually the pod sounds good also, if you can get one set up and working right.

Recently one of the folks used just a space blanket to push a 45F UQ to ~23F. But a lot of that was probably due to the vapor barrier effect of the SB. And doesn't IX already act somewhat like a VB? One VB is as warm as two, so it might not give you much additional boost, though you would also pick up some radiant block, but don't think that would help enough.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mountain Bridge UL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRBShenado& MtWash
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can attest to the value of a wind sock. I tested my 40* set up with a wind sock down to 21* just two nights ago. I measured a 10-12* difference between outside temp and inside. I still need to tweak my clothing a little more to get from cool to warm first thig in the morning.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you don't have enough material to make a full sock then I'd suggest using what you have to make an Under quilt protector since it sounds like you're confident in your TQ solution already. UQPs keep teh wind from robbing the UQ of built up warmth and many people claim they add up to 10° of additional warmth.

If you can find one locally at a decent price a poncho liner can be rigged as a no sew UQ in about half an hour. Most people seem to keep warm to around 40° with this alone. Adding it to your current UQ should get you down in the 20s I would think.

The walmart blue CCF pad is bomb proof and can be strapped to the outside of your pack. For the price you really can't get better warmth. Be sure to wear some sort of wicking clothing or you will likely wake up cold and clammy during the night.

Another cheap pad option is the EVA floor mats sold at BigLots. I successfully took one down to the low 40s before getting a chill. They are typically less than $20 and come on a roll 96"x48" so they can be cut to size or left full size if you don't mind wrestling with it a bit in the hammock at first. They are also far more breathable than CCF so no condensation issues in my experience.

If you have an old rectangular sleeping bag laying around or don't mind picking up a cheap one from Walmart/Target/Kmart/favorite big box store they can be easily turned into a pod. Even the ones without a foot end zipper pull almost always have a small opening at the end of the zipper that your hammock suspension can fit through.

Good luck on whatever option you decide and have fun. I know this is my favorite time of year to go camping. Everything is so still and quite and the skies are extra clear at night.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    If I have enough material... I think I do, could I use fronkeys bugnet design for a sock design...

I thought I remember reading somewhere a sock and a bugnet use the same design just different material...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Good question! I have this same issue coming up jan 5. Going to a state forest with a group. Likely it will be in the 20s. I have a home made KAQ which served me well into the 40s. I have a 20* sleeping bag, but I'm a bit worried the UQ won't be up to the task. I like the ccf pad idea, I have one, and I usually take my home made fleece bag liner just because I like the feeling vs the nylon of the bag. Between those and a space blanket, I think I'll be covered. I'm going to order a down UQ, but I guess my backup would be to put the hammock on the ground, and tie it just high enough to keep off the bug net. The hand warmer idea sounds great too! On my first trip, I didn't know a thing about UQs, so it was just me in my bag swinging in the breeze at 40*. That was a long, painful night.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    If I have enough material... I think I do, could I use fronkeys bugnet design for a sock design...

I thought I remember reading somewhere a sock and a bugnet use the same design just different material...
    My concern would be that if a breeze blows through you'll likely loose some UQ warmth from the small hole in the bottom that rests against the UQ. Otherwise it should work fine.

I'd acutally suggest looking at the TED style sock. It uses roughly the same amount of material and is, IMO, easier to get in and out of.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    My problem is that shock cord cannot be found locally... What about magnets, holding it together... I can get magnets at Walmart, and sew them in the bottom seam to hold it together...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I've never been able to get a 40 deg UQ to work at 40, let alone 25. But my 40 deg top quilt works fine in the mid 20's.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    My problem is that shock cord cannot be found locally... What about magnets, holding it together... I can get magnets at Walmart, and sew them in the bottom seam to hold it together...
    Walmart has elastic. It isn't as heavy as 1/8" shock cord, but should do in a pinch...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    If you have a Lowes/Home Depot/Habor Freight look for small cargo net for the back of quad bikes and motor cycles. They are typically just long bits of shock cord woven into a net with hooks around the perimeter. Now that I think about it Walmart I think even carries them.

But as John said, you can always just use elastic, just may need to double it up to ensure it holds. You would need to test this as I'm unsure how strong the elastic would be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast