Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner

Kansas>KC Area-Woodridge Campground> Another round???

Had some enthusiasm for another get together sooner rather than later back out at the Woodridge Primitive Use area. I've seen some new names that have noted they might come, and several "repeat offenders" that said they'd like to see another run.

How about the weekend of Fri-Sun (Feb 1-3)? Again, back out at Woodridge.

Car camping at it's finest, and a good chance to show off the new stuff that might have come your way over the holiday season.

I've found my stash of cast iron cookware, and momma is talking she wants to come and bought some long-handles to help her cope with the chill.

Who's interested? Of if you've got an alternate suggestion, I'd be glad to look for the spinoff thread.

Hammock
    W00T! (so far)2
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat type
    Insulation
    0* Crows nest UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/CRL
    I had a thought earlier today after thinking about these gatherings.

How often do noobs show up with their shiny new gear, without very much experience, and how much love and patience is shared trying to get them properly set up to have a better time?
    I would be hesitant to attend and become a burden until I am more comfortable.

As an example, I have been hanging in the living room in my new hammock and haven't quite been able to get it optimized for some reason. My plan is to get familiar with the gear and move to the backyard with it and see how the DIY UQ and cold weather stuff is going to work.
    ------
    Matt

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by IADC43 View Post
    I had a thought earlier today after thinking about these gatherings.

How often do noobs show up with their shiny new gear, without very much experience, and how much love and patience is shared trying to get them properly set up to have a better time?
    I would be hesitant to attend and become a burden until I am more comfortable.

As an example, I have been hanging in the living room in my new hammock and haven't quite been able to get it optimized for some reason. My plan is to get familiar with the gear and move to the backyard with it and see how the DIY UQ and cold weather stuff is going to work.
    I'd suggest coming on out. First off...I've got to say that the folks who've all been coming out to our KC area hangs are just awesome people! I've not been laughed at yet...in fact, I was impressed with how willing folks are to HELP!

Seriously...don't think that you've got nothing to offer and should stay home. That's SO not true at all. Come on out, sit around a fire with a bunch of folks, check out how folks have all come up with these different ways to solve the same problems that we all deal with.

Trust me...I really do think you'll have a fun time, you'll learn a lot, and you won't feel like anyone felt you were "too noobish" to come out!

I'd only been to one hang with just a couple of folks before...and the next thing I did was to invite folks to come on out to my neck of the woods.

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I agree, its a friendly crowd, and a great opportunity to ask and learn. We're all a bunch of gear junkies. Best of all, if you're not comfortable you can bail, cars right there.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UL and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Put me down as tentative... A little far out to know if the family will plan anything, but I would love to come out, if only for one night.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered & Whipped/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings Duh
    This is a possibility. I'm going to hawn jan 19 so we will see. Where is this located?

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Count me in, Owl. I had a blast. (I am looking forward to doing some OT&E on some new DIY gear.)

I agree great crowd...and I guarantee plenty of firewood (but not your safety). (It took nearly 8 gallons of water to extinguish the coals)

Matt, be sure to view Shug Emery's channel on youtube. I am pretty new to hangin' (there is definitely a learning curve), and his many videos saved me countless hours of trying to reinvent the wheel.

http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0

As an added bonus, if you get there early enough you may just be lucky enough to
    view the migration pattern of Weasel.

Chewy here is a link to google maps: http://goo.gl/maps/dyuuc
    Last edited by RamenShamen; 12-27-2012 at 13:50.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Whoopies/DutchStuf
    I am down, the 3rd is my Birthday even! All the better reason to come!

@IADC43 - Brother Man I consider myself a noob at hammock camping compared to these guys. Matter of fact I have never camped with them. But no way in my mind do I feel like that my lack of experience with hammocks would hinder these guys.

I see it this way. I would rather hang with them and absorb the vast accumulation of knowledge over trying to learn on my own. Often when we attempt to learn things the hard way (On our own) it gets expensive with trial and error.

I expect that at these get together events, new people come and learn a great deal. It would be no different than asking on the forums. Come, enjoy, meet new people. I'll be there... I did not get the name Hoot for nothing!

When people are passionate about something, they never feel burdened to share that passion.

As mentioned, if you have not already, watch Shug's Videos. His passion brought him to spend countless hours making videos to teach people all about hammock camping.

http://youtu.be/d7NZVqpBUV0
    Hoot's YouTube Channel - Please Subscribe!

Hoot's Facebook Page - Visit it and give it a Like!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Ramenshamen has the right of it...the migration pattern of the Weasel is something to behold!

Other thought...if you can, try to get out there early enough to be able to spend a good bit of time hanging/adjusting your setup before dark hits. It's a lot easier to see what's going on in the light...esp if you've not hung your gear before.

So, looking at the list so far, I see:

Owl
    Weasel
    Ramenshamen

Possible:

Fugawhee
    Kerflop
    Chewy

Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly