Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock Knee

Lock Knee

Does anyone else have problems with knees being uncomfortable because the feet are supported and the butt is supported but the knees are not?

I have a few ways to try to help fix this but was wondering how others deal with this problem.

What I do is put a stuff sack with clothes under the knees, the more stuff in the sack the better. Sometimes I can move around to create a fold that lets the feet sag down a bit and supports the knees. But usually after a couple of hours, I have to get up and walk around a bit to ease the discomfort.

Maybe I just need to stretch more?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    Does anyone else have problems with knees being uncomfortable because the feet are supported and the butt is supported but the knees are not?

I have a few ways to try to help fix this but was wondering how others deal with this problem.

What I do is put a stuff sack with clothes under the knees, the more stuff in the sack the better. Sometimes I can move around to create a fold that lets the feet sag down a bit and supports the knees. But usually after a couple of hours, I have to get up and walk around a bit to ease the discomfort.

Maybe I just need to stretch more?
    What hammock are you using? I had the same problem in my HH ULB - part f the reason I quit using it. I think it was a combination of the way the hammock is whipped at the ends and the fact that the ULB is probably a bit too short for me at 6'.

I whip my homemade hammocks using Jeff's "W-whipping" and that makes a nice, high ridge through the center and nice, deep pockets at the foot - supports my knees fine.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I feel that in mine. I am able to put enough stuff under my knees so this is not a problem. You might want to try pitching your hammock tighter, looser, different whipping, or longer ridgeline. Basically just different from what you are doing. I found that for me, just changing something small made a big difference in the way I felt.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    hook and bag double
    Tarp
    decathlon 3x3m
    Insulation
    snugpak underquilt
    Images
    It's funny this should come up as I was just about to post about knees. My left one has been acting up recently, it feels kind of like a mild hyper extension. I cant work out if its hammock caused, hammock exacerbated or just one of those things.

I'll have a go at changing the sag, possibly even have a crack at a home-made as i'd hate for this to be a deal breaker.

Images
    When I was in Panama, sleeping in a net hammock, this seemed to be a problem. The way I addressed the issue was to sleep at more of an angle. It seems that if you are already using an asym hammock it is probably caused by the hammock being to short. Or it could be the pitch of the hammock?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Try more angle and sleeping on your side with your knees bent.

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    What hammock are you using?
    I whip my homemade hammocks using Jeff's "W-whipping" and that makes a nice, high ridge through the center and nice, deep pockets at the foot - supports my knees fine.
    I use homemade hammocks, and have tried hems, folds, knots and whipping to secure the end. However I have always kept the ends even and not tried pulling out sections of cloth to shape the hammock.

I will take a look at the W-whipping page, that sounds promising. Anybody have a direct link?

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    I use homemade hammocks, and have tried hems, folds, knots and whipping to secure the end. However I have always kept the ends even and not tried pulling out sections of cloth to shape the hammock.

I will take a look at the W-whipping page, that sounds promising. Anybody have a direct link?
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock2.html
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make a longer and wider hammock, then hang it with a LOT of sag and lay way diagonal (yes, way diagonal is the technical term). After some experimenting, you'll zero in on the right length/width/sag combo for you.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Wink

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I sleep on my back with my feet flat on the groun.....uh I mean air (I guess flat on the pad will work) With my heels about 18inches from my rear and my knees spread about a foot apart pointed at the ceiling..uh.. tarp) It kind of looks awkward but i always sleep this way and it feels real comfortable.

like this ____/\_ (Artistic masterpiece ends here)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast