Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies

The 83 Percent

I have looked around here and can't seem to find an answer to this nagging question. If I missed it apologies.

As a rule of thumb a structural ridge line should be 83 percent of the hammock length. Two parter:

I presume the length we are talking about is the hammock length as it it were flat on the floor?

Suppose this rule of thumb doesn't work. Does increasing or decreasing the ridgeline length increase sag, an by extension flatness of lay?

Much obliged in advance.
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hammock
    Eno single nest
    Tarp
    BCUSA G2 multicam
    Insulation
    down bag/sleep pad
    Suspension
    SRS, webbing
    I run a 25' ridgeline and it seems to work well But I have several longer and shorter lengths on my rack just because I already use those lengths for climbing/rigging different stuff.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Yes 83% of the length of the hammock fabric as laid out on the floor, measured in inches.
    83% is just a good starting point. Less than 83% will give more sag greater than 83% will give less sag only you can be the judge as to which feels best.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclismo123 View Post
    I have looked around here and can't seem to find an answer to this nagging question. If I missed it apologies.

As a rule of thumb a structural ridge line should be 83 percent of the hammock length. Two parter:

I presume the length we are talking about is the hammock length as it it were flat on the floor?

Suppose this rule of thumb doesn't work. Does increasing or decreasing the ridgeline length increase sag, an by extension flatness of lay?

Much obliged in advance.
    The first poster must be referring to tarps.

As for a hammock, yes, the 83% of the length of hammock when stretched out, or layed on the floor. I use a whoopie sling for my ridgeline, so I can adjust either way. If you shorten the ridge, it will give more sag, some find this more comfortable. I recommend using the adjustable ridge, then when you find the sweet spot,you can leave it. I use one of the bread wrapper twist ties to keep the whoopie from coming off the hammock.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    Yes, it's the full hammock length if laid flat. Rule of thumb is 80-85%, I believe. Testing it for yourself to find the perfect lay for you. 83% would be about average.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Much obliged in advance.
    Is this a hypothetical or are you having a particular problem? I've experimented with the 83% rule, give or take a few degrees, but always come back to it.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

yes.

Much obliged in advance.
    Shortening the ridgeline will give more sag, since the fixed hammock length is now suspended from points that are closer. Longer ridgeline == less sag, by the same token.

Somewhere there's a sweet spot---just where depends on the hammock and the individual---where by nestling in at the right spot in the hammock at the right angle with the right length ridgeline, you feel pretty flat.

For a given ridgeline length, try different diagonal angles. Your spot may call for more of an angle than you'd imagine. If the problem is that you cannot escape the ridge of tension going down the hammock, then probably you're too tight and you want to shorten the ridgeline and get some more sag. If to get flat you have to have so much of a diagonal that you cannot keep your whole body on the hammock, then probably there's too much sag and you want to length it a bit.

It can take some experimenting to get it dialed in for yourself.

good luck
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Also, as a rule of thumb, going too short on the RL tends to increase hyper-extension of the knees while going too long tends to increase calf ridge issues.

Hammock
    Grey Goose DIY
    Tarp
    JRB or AHE
    Insulation
    Top & under quilts
    Suspension
    Straps & woopies
    Thanks everyone, question answered. The experimenting is the fun part!
    To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist half full. To the engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Images
    That's where adjustable ridglines, come in handy. When you get a new hammock, put it on so you can adjust to find your sweet spot. measure that mark and replace it with a fixed ridgline. Or you could leave the adjustable one on too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast