Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    So I'm the guy that gets on the plane before everyone else. I fly a lot, in the front of the bus. 100k miles a year. So while not a direct answer here's my seasoned traveler advice.

If travel is a common thing I'd invest in an airline card. Instant status, and you get free checked bags. Call and get the fee waived. Usually you'll get bonus miles, so one or two trips will get you a free round trip.

If you travel overseas get global entry. 100 bucks gets you kiosk entry an no lines. It also gets you precheck. I go thru the security line on average 2 minutes. No shoes off, no laptop out, no toiletry bag out.

Re-read the regs often as they change all the time. Small knives without locking blades under 2.36" are permitted. Generally tools under 4 inches are. I bring fly tying stuff.

By the way I've never slept in an airport or waited in a line after a cancelled flight. But that's a different story.

I'm not sure it has been mentioned, but if you use trekking poles, they will have to be checked. One option is to put your pack in a large plastic bag and check it. That way no issue with your stakes, knives, etc.
    I agree with the comment about Global Entry if you travel internationally.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Kelty 12
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    BW webbing
    Personally i do not fly commercial, I refuse to be treated as a criminal & pay for the privilege. Much less why mess up the oppertunity for a motorcycle ride.
    Most times I can get to the destination just about as fast with all the wait times, plus I am two hours from an airport.
    I do have friends that have done fly and ride (picking up a motorcycle across the country) There hammock goes unnoticed when your also carrying a full face helmet riding gear that is padded and armored. Much less 14in boots that have a steel shank and shin plate, plus straps all the way up the side so they stay on your feet when your bounced off a Buick.
    Most people I know that have done that ship there riding, camping & travel gear ahead of them. I guess most trust UPS Fedex USPS, and some guy they do not know but have agreed to buy a bike from more than the airlines & TSA with there stuff.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234