Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    my Te-wa Winter Coat 0 degree (w/over stuffing) is 20.7 oz.
    Rock, do you think this could be hooked to hammock body? i like that idea
    Last edited by kayak karl; 12-26-2012 at 11:25.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Te-Wa makes a coat? Cool.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Might I suggest the Wilderness Logics Summer Series UQ. Rated for 45 degree temps and weighs 10 oz. Marty at WL is awesome to work with and you'll get your UQ in a timely manner. All my WL gear has been top notch.
    KJ

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Wow, some really good info; sounds like 40 degrees and 10 - 11 oz is more than doable; just a question of deciding on the exact path and with which supplier. I'll take some more time to read over/research your posts in greater detail. Sounds promising though. I'm really looking forward to ultralight backpacking this summer!!

thanks everyone.
    Gideon

Oh I forgot to put in my original post I also have a custom 45* Hammock Gear quilt set- TQ weighs 9.85oz and UQ weighs 7.9oz.

I think you could very easily hit your target with room to spare.

I would have to agree with SGT Rock IX works for some but not others, but I wouldn't write it off without a test drive. Maybe there's someone near you that has one that you could try???
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I have the te WA that you speak of and I love it.

Construction is very good quality and it has worked for me very well in the 40s. I haven't had a chance to test its lower limits, but its been said I can take mine, with the overstuff, to approximately 31
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Oh I forgot to put in my original post I also have a custom 45* Hammock Gear quilt set- TQ weighs 9.85oz and UQ weighs 7.9oz.

I think you could very easily hit your target with room to spare.

I would have to agree with SGT Rock IX works for some but not others, but I wouldn't write it off without a test drive. Maybe there's someone near you that has one that you could try???
    Kind of funny, the IX experience seems to be about like the HHSS experience: great for some, terrible for some, some in the middle.

And even funnier, while I have had some great HHSS experiences and none I would really call bad, my experience with IX has never met expectations. Not as bad as Sgt. Rock's, but I never came very close to getting to freezing. However, I still think I might could do better in the future as I was getting better results each time I used it. And mine was one of the originals with no end channels or draft tubes etc.

My best night with IX was the time I added that same UQ inside my PeaPod. That was one warm night, way more than similar nights without the IX.

But at the opposite end of the spectrum are TeeDee and Tiredfeet, both of whom I believe have been plenty warm enough with 3 layers at 11F. So it must have some potential, but apparently fit is even more critical than we are used to.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I appreciate the great input; the TeWa sounds like a real strong candidate unless I go custom. After looking at everyone's input I decided I should focus on the Top Quilt first as there's a greater opportunity for weight savings. Currently I'm using either a 0 degree HG TQ or a 30 degree Marmot down bag as a quilt. both of those weigh 27 oz.

I've found a sleeping bag by ZPack that's rated at 40 degrees and weights 11.8 ounces. I've written them to see if they can make it with the sewn foot box and "no" zipper.

That would save me 15.2 oz....so I'll focus on that first and continue to use my Phoenix 3/4 20 degree for now.

Thank you everyone for the input and...

Happy New Year!!
    Gideon

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    +1 one the Wilderness Logics SSUQ, with a space blanket, 15* sleeping bag and light weight cotton/poly workout pants and a light weight fleece pullover I've been comfortable @ 28*.

Hammock
    undecided
    Tarp
    zpacks
    Insulation
    supershelter
    Suspension
    whoopie dutch hook
    I have a UQ on order from stormcrow 40 degree. Had him not put the baffles on it saves 1 once then He used a combination of Nobul 1 and 2 fabric that will save an additional couple of ounces. I changed out my suspension some and save another 3/4-1 ounce. 40 degrees easily under 10 ounces. Waiting to weigh it to verify, but have now doubts, and the quality is outstanding as you already know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast