Hammock
    WBXLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-Season UQ
    Suspension
    AWS

Hennessy Super Shelter - The Good, Bad & Ugly?

Hey Everyone,

I bought a HH Explorer Deluxe earlier this year and I'm trying to find the best insulation system for it. Does anybody have any experience with the super shelter?

My primary goal is to keep the overall insulation system as lightweight and compact as possible. Given this, what would you all suggest? Is there some other under quilt out there that would better serve this purpose?

Also, I don't ever plan on sleeping in temperatures below freezing... so it doesn't need to be THAT perfect of a system - just good enough to keep me from being completely miserable in say, 40 degree weather.

Thoughts?
    "I never came upon any of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking." - Albert Einstein

Images
    Tons of info here on the pros and cons of this system, just search for HHSS or Super Shelter etc.

Start with this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=58158

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=51592

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21719
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-26-2012 at 00:10.

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Used mine a lot on my Explorer Deluxe. Worked very well. Lowest I took it was around 22-25*. Put the space blanket in and was toasty all night.
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    There are a few things I didn't like about the super shelter. The open cell foam pad is a bit fragile, according to reviews. They show a space blanket on their videos, but they are also somewhat fragile and who wants to replace gear parts every other outing. I have the HH with its normal fly, and the XL hex fly. Nothing of theirs ever seems to go back in its packing. Have you watched the SS video? Imagine trying to carefully roll and repack the SS on a cold rainy morning. That being said, I do love my Hennessy Hammock... I thought about switching to ENO because their stuff looks smaller (packed) but its a tough choice to make.
    If you are only going to the 40's, I suggest making the KAQ (kick *** quilt) found on this site. It runs about $125 for the supplies, and is good to 40, from my experience, when used with M50 and the heavier climashield (I think it was 6oz?), or you can just buy one from the vendor. It's synthetic, easy to work with and sew, and mine weighs 27oz in its stuff sack, which is no bigger than a coffee can (or one of the self inflating thermarests)
    Last edited by Theosus; 12-30-2012 at 23:11. Reason: Im a dumb a$$
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My son Weasel and I have both used the HHSS exclusively for under-insulation since we started hammocking over a year ago now. We've been out in most types of weather except perhaps heavy snow, with our coldest nights (a pair of them) around 22F with 30+ mph winds. That particular run I think I supplemented the HHSS undercover setup with a fleece blanket, and I think Weasel added in an extra pad he'd carried with him. Neither of us have ever bothered to put on the overcover yet. We both slept comfortably (I was the last person to wake the second morning) both nights, wearing a single layer of winter baselayers, wool socks, and a wool buff. Neither of us use topquilts, but instead sleeping bags (I have a $30 20 deg bag from Sport's Authority, Weasel has some 0deg bag he paid about $50 for).

For us, it works. Well.

I suspect part of that success is using sleeping bags and not just a topquilt.

With all of that said...for what you're expecting to camp in, you're quite possibly just as well of with the KAQ quilt someone else mentioned.

Similar price range, similar temperature range. If you're concerned about whether or not the HHSS will work for you, go with the quilt. Or see if there's someone in your area that you could do a "hang" with that has the HHSS and try it out before you buy it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    There are a few things I didn't like about the super shelter. The open cell foam pad is a bit fragile, according to reviews.
    Yes, I am one who has oft commented on the fragility of these pads. Still, I recently sold my original HHSS from 6 years ago. Over those 6 years, from not being careful and not realizing the fragility and knowing some tricks to avoid damage, I poked several holes through my original pad. Turned out to be a non issue. Very easy to patch with seam sealer. But I got to where I didn't bother to patch, because it really did not effect function. Once you are laying down, any holes are pretty much pushed together anyway. I never felt any cold spots from holes I did not bother to patch. I had 2 additional HHSSs that I got at various times later, and not a single hole in either of those, because I have learned to be more careful. And also to always grab the pad, if adjusting it's position or stuffing it, through the space blanket or UC/hammock. I put those items between my fingers and the HH pad!

They show a space blanket on their videos, but they are also somewhat fragile and who wants to replace gear parts every other outing. I have the HH with its normal fly, and the XL hex fly. Nothing of theirs ever seems to go back in its packing. Have you watched the SS video? Imagine trying to carefully roll and repack the SS on a cold rainy morning.
    I have put the entire HHSS back into it's original stuff sack just to see if I could do it. But I would never bother with any of that in the field. 1st of all, once my SS ( all I use with my HH Explorer UL hammocks) UC is on, it never comes off until hot weather, and I might not take the pad off either. I have done it two ways, both of which are very fast and easy, and my space blankets have lasted for years with these methods.
    1: I remove the HH pad ( with space blanket rolled up inside pad) and place it in a compression dry sack along with whatever else I really want to keep dry, then compress it all down into a smaller package. Then I either put this in or strap it on the outside of my pack. Then with blinding speed ( ) I skin my hammock and UC into HH snake skins, a very fast procedure. This has worked out very well. Once I rehang the hammock and UC as a unit and release them from the skins, it just takes a couple of minutes to retrieve the pad from the dry sack and unroll it back into the UC. OR:
    2: I take the entire HHSS hammock, UC, pad, space blanket, over cover if using, and maybe even my TQ left zipped inside the hammock, and starting with one end loosed from the tree, stuff the whole enchilada ( or Taco? ) into my pack or a separate large dry sack. Works like a charm. When I get to camp, attach to trees on one end, pull out of pack as I walk to the other tree and attach, put up tarp, ready for bed! No separate stuffing of UQs and TQs or bags!

That being said, I do love my Hennessy Hammock... I thought about switching to ENO because their stuff looks smaller (packed) but its a tough choice to make.
    If you are only going to the 40's, I suggest making the KAQ (kick *** quilt) found on this site. It runs about $125 for the supplies, and is good to 40, from my experience, when used with M50 and the heavier climashield (I think it was 6oz?), or you can just buy one from the vendor. It's synthetic, easy to work with and sew, and mine weighs 27oz in its stuff sack, which is no bigger than a coffee can (or one of the self inflating thermarests)
    I agree that, if $ are a major concern, for the $ and for moisture security, the AHE models are a very excellent way to go. Hard to beat the price. Plus I think they will be good to lower than the rated temps. However, I don't think they will stuff down as small as an HH pad and UC will, if full length it will be a fair bit heavier and like all UQs it does not include the extra wind and water protection of the HH UC, which is substantial, and which allows you to get away with a smaller tarp. All (insulation, wind/rain block/space blanket) at about 18 oz for HHSS #1. To get that with any UQ you will need the additional $ and weight/bulk of an UC protector. Or a much larger tarp at least. This is the one major plus that most folks seem to forget about when comparing the HHSS to all other systems. But from personal experience, it is the first plus I think about when I am thinking of using my HHSS instead of one of my fine UQs or my much loved Pea Pod. But, I personally think the AHE KAQ would be a at least bit warmer than the base HHSS, even if heavier and bulkier.

Not trying to talk any one out of the AHE or any other UQ, just stating some pros and cons as I see them and from my personal experience. Either way is a good way to go!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-31-2012 at 13:10.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I liked the Super shelter but I love my Kick *** Quilt ! They make one just for the Hennessy !
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

I'd like to bring this conversation back up... to 2017. I have a Hennessy bottom open that I've been hanging in for the past few years. I love it and not looking to change hammocks. I'm tired of fighting with my Thermarest pad inside it. I had a zfold version and changed last year to the rolled version which was better... a bit. At least it didn't fold up under me. I go on short sections of the AT each summer (a week out in July/Aug) so I don't need tons of warmth. I'm going back and forth on the Hennessy Super Shelter and the Jacks R Better Nest. It feels like the SS would be enough for the time of year I go - and it's clearly much less expensive. Also my Thermarest is 14 oz, the SS is 16.7 oz, and the Nest is 22 oz. I'm also trying to save weight which seems to be another vote for the SS.

I appreciate feedback and input :-) Thank you!

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    IMO spend once cry once and buy a down UQ rated for 40* for summer use. Very compact, super light, and it just plain works, no compromises.
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I have and use the SS and/or 3/4 Jarbridge 20 oz UQ with my Backpacker UL Classic (bottom entry).
    SS Pro - cost, weight, fits just right, it is easy to boost the temp range when needed, due to fit/Undercover the wind is never an issue and bugs never bite thru the bottom.
    SS Con - it is bulky. I roll my backpacker UL, TQ and sleep clothing up in the SS and tie this rather large 'bedroll' outside my pack.

3/4 20oz UQ Pro - it is packable/stuffable
    3/4 20oz UQ Con - due to imperfect fit I lose 10F off the UQ temp rating and more in any wind

Currently my preferred method is to leave the HHSS attached to the hammock and roll it up using the hammock suspension line to tie it up. The bulk doesn't bother me when tied outside the pack. and I haven't poked any holes in the foam. I think the previous posts on the foam being torn was mostly due to not being careful or too much handling.
    Last edited by oldpappy; 03-22-2017 at 10:50.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast