Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images

Underquilt suspension theory discussed

I've read several threads lately discussing under quilt suspensions. Seemingly, a trend is developing to add additional suspension lines. These address the challenge of keeping tension on the quilt, locking in the location of it, and keeping it from scrunching up underneath you. All good things.

However, this method appears to add more complexity to the underquilt suspensions. In a quest to accomplish the same objectives yet simplify the system, I have developed an underquilt suspension theory. It's a theory because I haven't built it yet, but want to lay it out here to either turn it into a better theory before I make it a reality, or to shoot it down so I don't waste my time & materials. Here goes:

Place a Klemheist loop with Dutch tarp-hooks on the ridgeline near the head end of the hammock. Run 1.75mm Zing-it to strong cord-locks on each corner of head end of quilt. Adjust position of quilt using these cord locks.

Run reinforcing of 1/2" grosgrain through side channels in quilt, with fixed attachment to each end of the quilt. (Optional)

Run 1/8" shock cord from strong cord-locks on the corners of the foot ends of quilt to another Klemheist loop (with Dutch tarp-hooks) on the ridgeline near foot of hammock (or foot end knot on netted hammock). Adjust the tension on the quilt using these cord-locks.

To adjust upward pull on the quilt, move the Klemheist loops inward toward the center of the hammock to increase it; to decrease upward pull move them outward toward the ends.

In the case if a hammock with a zippered net, attach the quilt suspension to the hammock end knots. Add "triangle thingies" if more upward pull is desired.

As is usual, run 3/32" shock-cord, with cord-locks, in both end-channels at head & foot of the quilt.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

This sounds great in concept, but hopefully you get to put it to trial so see how it will work (with pic's of course).

I have been thinking the same as you for quite some time, although my attempt was I attached 4 dutch quilt hooks to my hammock ridgeline (netless hammock) two at the foot and two at the head, attached via prussic loops then attach the shock cord to the quilt hooks . This was done in a attempt to pull the quilt up and out, instead of just out like when attached normally too the hammock ends.

Surprisingly it work extremely well and allowed me to fine adjust each side of the quilt to fit the lay and kept it (quilt) pulled up and I have yet to have any sag.

I am still trying to think of a way to make this work for a netted hammock, but no such luck yet. I have been toying around with SGT Rocks method, which is using the quilt hooks attached to the hammock body itself as the quilt's attachment point but haven't had the time to try it out. But I recently acquired a Darien UL with this already done, so here soon I will give this a run and see how it works.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Didn't dutch's new quilt hangers sort of solve a lot of problems? Ecspecially matched with the quilt hooks?...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dutch's bling are great quilt attachments. And, they can be added to the system I proposed, to enhanced it further. However, I believe that this system of lines allows full adjustment of the quilt, all from within the hammock, with a minimum of lines.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    I would think you'd want some shock cord at the head end?
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Some of the hammocks now have loops spread along the edge (Papa Smurfs do)
    I just run my suspension through the end loops and my quilt cant move.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    Knotty design, 1.5 oz stretch side
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images
    A while back I made a couple of sew-up PLUG's. The question of what type of suspension to use seemed to be across the board as far as ideas. I ran across a video by "The Proffessor" about a cuban under quilt for his bridge hammock and the susupension he used for it, I also ran across the same suspension being used by Leighlo in their quilts. This suspension system seems to address all of the concerns experienced but an underquilt. Leighlo uses a section of 1/8" shock cord with 1.75 tech line to line locks. There is a section of shock cord thru the side channels with with tech line fastened to each end of the shock cord. The tech line runs up to a triangle with a mitten hook and back to the corner to a line lock. Very clean, simple and light weight. My version is 2.2 mm zing thru the side channels with 1/8 shock cord up thru the mitten hooks and back to line locks. The nice part about this set-up is it is easy and simple. The mitten hooks are a break-away if you miss your hammock, so they are a safe guard. The shock cord and tech line allow you to keep the UG snug to your under/backside and the line locks on the corners keep the UQ from bunching. The great part is once it is under tention you can slide the UQ back and forth along the shock cord to adjust its position. I have seen several ideas trying to do this but this set-up seems bullit proof, I have tried to find fault with it over the last 8-10 hangs and I can't. Once you adjust it your first time it is always the same and the fact you can just slide it back and forth is great. My hats off to Griz and the folks at Leighlo for this set-up. Try it and see if you don't find it the best!!
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Here are a few pix of a suspension I was fooling around with last month. It was with a DIY UQ made from a kid size sleeping bag. The problem I had with it was that I was using it on an 11' long hammock & I try to max out the diagonal lay. It moved around too much. I had some extra tent fly bungees and used them to run from the quilt grommets up to the ridge line - pardon the messy rig, but I wasn't planning to cut anything to fit precisely since there's a new UQ in the shopping bag for January.
    I had used one looped bungee to attach the ends to the whoopie suspension, but that worked until I moved around. The DIY quilt was set up for adjustment both lengthwise and width-wise. Got that dialed in, then added the bungees to the ridge line. It's ugly, but it works very well, and it's dark at night.

Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

LeighLo's new underquilt suspension as of 9 DEC 2012

I hope that helps

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I've had the same thoughts on an alternative UQ suspension setup, but couldn't figure out how to get it to work with a netted hammock.

My current thought is to attach cord locks to each corner of the UQ that the shock cord UQ suspension runs through. Once the suspension is set tight enough to keep the UQ against the hammock set the cordlocks to prevent the uq from accordioning up and causing a draft and therefore CBS.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast