Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    That's what I did on an UQ I made. I used a loop of grosgrain at each corner to hold two cord locks. One for the main suspension through the side channels and one for the end channel shock cord.
    That is exactly what I'm thinking. How's it working for you so far? Any UQ shifting/sagging during the night, or do you find that it stays where you set it?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I just uploaded a video about my quilt suspension. Easier than trying to take a bunch of pictures and explain it. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...095#post894095
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    That is exactly what I'm thinking. How's it working for you so far? Any UQ shifting/sagging during the night, or do you find that it stays where you set it?
    It stays where you place it on the shock cord and prevents any "slide to the low spot sagging".

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Hip, hip, hooray for the LeighLo suspension

, which I'm happy with.....for an UQ that gets moved from one hammock to another.

But, even without seeing Sgt Rock's video, I'll suggest that for normal people, those not fiddling with gear so much they are swapping out large components, that any fixed approach is superior to one with lengthy cords. We need adjustment and adjustability about as much as we need ALL of the holes in the standards of adjustable bookcases.

I'll suggest that superior to any suspension with extra cordage hanging off is 4 to 8 buttons or ordinary clothing hooks sewn to the gunwales or to tabs sewn to the gunwales of the hammock. Or Dutch's titanium or other bits. None of these pose a threat to self-damage your gear or tear anything else when your stuff gets stuffed.

Match those buttons or hooks to buttonholes or receiving ends sewn in or attached to tabs stitched to the sides and corners of the inside surface of the UQ. Some elastic strap might be part of those tabs, for some give for occupants of different weight or for when you move in the hammock and local stretching shows up someplace else. Shock or draw cord can still occupy channels in the UQ sides or ends, adjusted and snugged up with cord-locks, but none of it need be exposed.

Does this approach require fitting, and maybe a half hour hand sewing for each hammock and UQ? Yes, just as the removable lining to coat or raincoat has to have attachment points fitted.

I have mounted removable fenders on bicycles and attached others for 7 months of unpredictable but likely rain in western Oregon. The fact is, every bike frame is different, and fitting which includes drilling holes is just plain necessary for best protection. The removable fenders, like an adjustable suspension, go out of adjustment, including at mid-ride, and never offer as much protection. Trade-offs.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 12-27-2012 at 16:50.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm trying to picture in my mind an under quilt attached to the hammock in multiple points without shock-cords. But, quilts are not generally as wide as a hammock. I'm thinking that I would be loading the quilt with my weight, at least until something gave way. This is starting to sound a bit like a built in underquilt - which someday, given the research here, may end up being the standard.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm trying to picture in my mind an under quilt attached to the hammock in multiple points without shock-cords. But, quilts are not generally as wide as a hammock. I'm thinking that I would be loading the quilt with my weight, at least until something gave way.
    Nope. A few SHORT lengths, each no more than 6" long, of shock-cord on cord-locks --because we're campers -- or heavy elastic strap, on adjusters, takes care of the adjustability. Or, cut button-holes in the straps or tie small loops in the cord ends.

Or loop tabs sewn or glued to the hmmk body, and removable hook tabs at the ends of those short pieces of shock cord or strap.

But, I'm retro and old-skool fond for buttons. Levi 501s and all.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    But, I'm retro and old-skool fond for buttons. Levi 501s and all.
    Ha!! I used to wear those in college! Deja vu!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Mad777....is the way I've done my POD, similar to what you're talking about? It is fully adjustable in so many ways it's not funny. From sides, to length, to angle, to width, and top and/or bottom. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63745 (glad I rechecked that thread, I still need to add my sock pictures....no one seemed real interested in my work there, so then I forgot to finish it )

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I haven't seen Leighlo's suspension as. Of yet but I do have a general idea of this discussed suspension and it sounds great. But to get the real details seems I am a visual guy (pictures and a thousand words and all that!).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    I've been experimenting with a system in which the TED bugnet is sewn to a very light undercover (uc). The Underquilt (UQ), poly batting at this time down in the future, is sewn to the uc. The uc is attached to the hammock at each end with continous loops larksheaded to the uc and slipped over the hammock suspension thereby using the uc as the UQ suspension. So far it has worked out as expected if heavier than desired with the poly batting.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast