Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    For anyone whom may be interested since I am not familiar with the area I figured I would print the available maps and pack my compass along (been lost before in an unknown area and had to use these to get back on track) but I wanted to know the declination well according to here http://magnetic-declination.com/# it is -9* W so if you are packing your compass you may want to set it, or not if you don't care....

Not sure if this helps any of you whom are planning on attending this outing?????
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Useful info, CB. I enlarged the map and clicked on the exact spot where we will be lost, and got -9° 49' West.

Your welcome WV. Heck as long as we know where we will get lost then I can stop worrying about it
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I think I am going to try and make this one. This will be my first official hang! Any suggestions on things I should bring, do, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Man View Post
    I think I am going to try and make this one. This will be my first official hang! Any suggestions on things I should bring, do, etc?
    Plan your gear according to the weather and temps, don't wanna be cold.

Plan the same as you would for any other backpacking trip 3 day / 2 night.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Is there anybody in the Hampton Roads area that wants to carpool?

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    im glad your bringing your map CB, i am a little worried about getting lost as im not verry good at map reading, maybe you could teach me a little. also i am a total noob at hikeing and am concernd that my slow pace will be a problem, as i really don't want to get seprated from the group. if those things will be too much of a problem let me know and i can not come but i really want to come
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    im glad your bringing your map CB, i am a little worried about getting lost as im not verry good at map reading, maybe you could teach me a little. also i am a total noob at hikeing and am concernd that my slow pace will be a problem, as i really don't want to get seprated from the group. if those things will be too much of a problem let me know and i can not come but i really want to come

I have no problem helping, may be a quick lesson though as I don't have that great a knowledge base. I have just adapted my ways for the trail way. But there are others that are attending that are much wiser than I.

Take your time, hike your own hike, enjoy the time out!!!!!! Thats what this is about!!!!!

The daily mileage is very low so I am sure we all will be taking our time and enjoying the scenery. Although I cannot guarantee that we all will stay together 100% of the time. But I wouldn't let that stop you, from my understanding everything is pretty well blazed and marked.

If I may make a recommendation, I would print off the maps and study them so you have an understanding of what to expect and make a copy along with an itinerary and leave it with your family, better safe then sorry and while out in the wild anything can happen. I do this for every trip, so it may just be me.

Re: VA/WV>White Rocks Hike-n-Hang>April 5th-7th, 2013

Wish I was making this hike with you guys! White rocks is high on my todo list.

Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WL OMW, DW Hex
    Insulation
    Lynx & Wooki UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cilp Straps
    XTrekker,

I think I'm going to be able to do this hike. I've taken a vacation day on Friday the 5th and I think I've gotten all my gear ready. This will be my first hike with the hammock. I've built myself a turtledog style hammock stand for my basement and sent a couple nights so far sleeping in my ENO DoubleNest. I've made an underquilt from a kid's sized sleeping bag.

I plan to arrive at the trailhead parking lot around noon on Friday. I was thinking that with the snow melt that the west branch of the loop will probably be very muddy since it follows the creek. I might be better to do the hike clockwise and take the east branch first and go to the overlook campsite for the first night. The second day would be a leisurely walk to camp 2 for the second night. If I'm going to have to get my feet wet I'd rather do it on the last day (where dry socks are in the car) than on the first day. The bad part about this direction is that there is no water at the overlook campsite (unless there is snow) and we'd have to carry-in water for first night and second day (but it would be a short second day). What do you think?

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast