Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I have no problem helping, may be a quick lesson though as I don't have that great a knowledge base. I have just adapted my ways for the trail way. But there are others that are attending that are much wiser than I.

Take your time, hike your own hike, enjoy the time out!!!!!! Thats what this is about!!!!!

The daily mileage is very low so I am sure we all will be taking our time and enjoying the scenery. Although I cannot guarantee that we all will stay together 100% of the time. But I wouldn't let that stop you, from my understanding everything is pretty well blazed and marked.

If I may make a recommendation, I would print off the maps and study them so you have an understanding of what to expect and make a copy along with an itinerary and leave it with your family, better safe then sorry and while out in the wild anything can happen. I do this for every trip, so it may just be me.

Sounds good to me . Thanks. I had planned on letting the family know the plan thanks for the link to the map, by he way
    It's not the fall im scared of, it's the sudden stop at the end!!!

Only hang as high as your willing to fall- H.F. member

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WVwanderer View Post
    XTrekker,

I think I'm going to be able to do this hike. I've taken a vacation day on Friday the 5th and I think I've gotten all my gear ready. This will be my first hike with the hammock. I've built myself a turtledog style hammock stand for my basement and sent a couple nights so far sleeping in my ENO DoubleNest. I've made an underquilt from a kid's sized sleeping bag.

I plan to arrive at the trailhead parking lot around noon on Friday. I was thinking that with the snow melt that the west branch of the loop will probably be very muddy since it follows the creek. I might be better to do the hike clockwise and take the east branch first and go to the overlook campsite for the first night. The second day would be a leisurely walk to camp 2 for the second night. If I'm going to have to get my feet wet I'd rather do it on the last day (where dry socks are in the car) than on the first day. The bad part about this direction is that there is no water at the overlook campsite (unless there is snow) and we'd have to carry-in water for first night and second day (but it would be a short second day). What do you think?
    I'm up for whatever. Its a short hike and an easy climb. We can play it by ear and just focus on enjoying ourselves. I have no problem hiking it clockwise.

I plan to take my time and enjoy the company and have some laughs.

Also, if anybody is coming from the Hampton Roads area and wants a ride just let me know. We can work something out.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    I figured I'd go ahead an try and get things organized alittle better since we are getting close the the trip date. For those who are going to be able to make it can you please reply and let us know.

I talked to some others and it seems the best route for us to take so that we can all meet up at the same camp is to hike the valley section first. This would be a counterclockwise hike on the loop.

Friday around Midday (little after lunch), I am planing to hit the Trailhead. I'm over 3 hours away so it just depends on traffic and how fast I can get out the door. Friday Night I plan to camp at the second camp on the loop marked on the map. Saturday Morning we can meet up on the summit and hang out for the day and camp there over night. Sunday morning is a simple hike out and farewells. Should be alot of fun and relaxing. Its a short hike with medium elevation change(3000'). If we loose each other on the trail then just meet up at the camp site. Ill be rocking a Blue External Frame Pack and generally a Bright Orange Hat. We all hike at different speeds so dont feel the need to slow down or speed up on my account.

MapSmall.jpg

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    i pluged the coordinates into google and can't see anything usefull can someone post a link to a better map. Xtrekker where did you get the map you posted
    All the links are in the OP. The cords are the exact location of the parking lot and trail head. If you plug the cords in google maps it will take you to the parking area. Just get directions to there from your location and you will be fine. The map i got is from the link in the OP. It takes you to the hikingupward page with all the details to the hike including additional maps and directions. The site also has a printable Topo Map of the trail..

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    I'm just over 4 hrs away i'm going to try to get there between 1-2 hopefully earlier.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Here is map off of google for how to get there.

Untitled-1.jpg

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by visionarylion View Post
    I'm just over 4 hrs away i'm going to try to get there between 1-2 hopefully earlier.
    Im about the same. 3h 50m. Ill probably be there around 12-2pm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing

VA/WV>White Rocks Hike-n-Hang>April 5th-7th, 2013

I'm about 2.5 hours from there.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    SupaFly
    Insulation
    Flight jacket Zepp
    Suspension
    diy whoopie& strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    All the links are in the OP. The cords are the exact location of the parking lot and trail head. If you plug the cords in google maps it will take you to the parking area. Just get directions to there from your location and you will be fine. The map i got is from the link in the OP. It takes you to the hikingupward page with all the details to the hike including additional maps and directions. The site also has a printable Topo Map of the trail..
    Thanks I figured it out. I'm sorry I have been such a dumb*** .

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I'm in Richmond, have a 2 seater plus two dogs. It would be a tight fit but I could carry one person with pack or am willing to carpool and split gas.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast