Thread: My Virgin Hang

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

My Virgin Hang

Hello All,

Spent my first night every sleeping in a hammock and just wanted to share my observations. The setup was a WBBB DL 1.1 with web suspension, 3-season Yeti UQ and 3-season Mamba TQ. Santa left this for me under my Christmas tree and I could not wait to try it out ☺

I set up right next to my house between two trees. I do not have a tarp yet, but with a clear forecast I planned to sleep under the stars. I was excited that the forecast was overnight temps in the low 20’s (ended up being 22 degrees) since I wanted to test the 20-degree rating of my system. Once I figured things out I found setting up the WBBB and UQ pretty easy. With no worry of bugs at these temperatures I rolled away the bugnet, staked the shelf side pullout, kissed my wife goodnight, and called it a night.

My observations…

WBBB Comfort: I am hooked on this, no comparison to sleeping on the ground. Normally I sleep on my side, but here I was quite comfortable on my back. I think I still need to do some tweaking in my hang, but even if it was less than perfect it was way more comfortable than the ground.

Warmth: Given the temperatures I slept in my wool socks, my thermal underwear pants, a (gasp) cotton T-shirt and a wool beanie. With this sleepwear I can verify that my 20-degree system is indeed a 20-degree system. Not that there weren’t some cold spots, but I can live (and sleep) with this.

Problems: Well, I do regret not getting the wide TQ. Lying on my back was no problem, but when I went to my side gaps would open up. I do not think it would be a problem at warmer temps but at 22 degrees it would wake me up sometimes. I do need to experiment with the two draw cords on the WB Mamba to see if they help. I am only 5’ 8” so I did not need a long TQ. Does anybody know if WB will make a Reg length TQ in wide?

Yes, the footbox did get cold after a while with my torso length UQ. I solved this by curling up in fetal position once in a while to warm up, then stretching back out into the footbox for comfort. It was really no big deal and if I were on the trail I think I would just stuff some extra cloths down there rather than carry a pad,

Pleasant Surprise #1: I did not need a pillow. As long as I was on my back it was great. The hammock was like one big pillow ☺ In fact this might create another problem. I was so comfortable that I did not want to get up in the morning. My son finally came out to bring me back into the house.

Pleasant Surprise #2: The views. I had the zipper side pointed towards sunrise and what a way to wake up. I really enjoyed just lying there watching the day dawn and watching the birds greet the day. In fact as much as I enjoyed the WBBB, I think that my next purchase will be for a netless hammock for when it is outside of bug season. And I also resolve to keep the tarp (when I finally get it) deployed in a snakeskin whenever conditions look clear. I have already spent too much of my life living inside of boxes.

I have a photo of my rig and the view from my hammock below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IMScotty; 12-26-2012 at 15:44.

• + New Posts