Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    still working on that one...

Best hammock for me? Please help!

Hello all! I am new here, this is my first post. Like many, I was completely set to buy a ENO double nest after hearing a friend swear by it and how great it was. Then I went to bass pro to buy it and discovered they do not carry ENO, but another brand, Blue Ridge. SO, naturally I came home and started googling and discovered that there is so much more out there beyond the ENO. So I started researching but could not find the anwser to my biggest question. Right now I am planning on a back packing around the world trip, and I plan on taking the hammock as much of it will be off the beaten path (Amazon, India, Vietnam, etc). What attracted me to the ENO besides the awesome reviews is how light weight and packable it is. What I dont like is that you have to buy several pieces and set them up. And that there are obviously better products out there as well. Right now, money is NOT the issue one bit. I will pay more if it is really better. I definately need rainfly and bugnet capabilitys, but one of the most important features has to be packability. I am not totally concerned about the weight, but the ENO folds up really small - about the size of a grapefruit. This is actually one of the most important features to me as I will be traveling very light and fast. Think, carry on size backpack...two to three changes of clothes max. Carry on size, no checked bags here. So I need a bomb proof hammock that is not going to take up all the space in my pack that I will need for essentials. I do not mind paying for a Hennessey, or Clark. Infact, I would rather pay for a Clark. But do they pack as light and fast? I also would LIKE to have mult-season capability...not just the jungle hammock which limits where I can go. Any reccomendations are greatly appreciated and welcome. Thank you in advance!

Hammock
    Also, any recomendations on packs if you have it...I have a black hawk 3-day pack from the military that is worn out and a Arteryx that is too big. I could get away with the 3-day pack but I kind of want somthing new....if you have any ideas they are welcome!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Luckily, many of the quality choices are as - or more - packable than the ENO. As you want something that's integrated and cost isn't an issue, I'd recommend either a Warbonnet Blackbird or one of the Dream Hammocks. They're both amazing quality, light, packable and will treat you very well. I'd then do a Warbonnet Superfly tarp or maybe a HammockGear Cuben Fiber tarp (if you want to really spend some $$).

Also, make sure you consider what temps you'll be in. If anything lower than 60 or 70 degrees F, you'll need something to insulate you on top (a sleeping bag or top quilt) and underneath (an underquilt is probably the most packable and comfortable). I'd recommend doing some research here on the forums - my favorite is HammockGear.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hellkitten View Post
    Also, any recomendations on packs if you have it...I have a black hawk 3-day pack from the military that is worn out and a Arteryx that is too big. I could get away with the 3-day pack but I kind of want somthing new....if you have any ideas they are welcome!
    ULA and Gossamer Gear packs are great (the Circuit, Catalyst or Mariposa would all treat you well). I also have an Osprey Exos and really like it. Packs are pretty particular, though, so it might be worth going to a store and trying some on, if you can.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Hi Hellkitten. Welcome to the forum! For your needs, might consider a hammock with an integrated budget. It's one less thing to set up and pack. If size/weight are primary considerations, would suggest something like the Dream Hammocks Darien UL.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/DarienUL.html

For light weight packs, could go with ULA, Gossamer Gear or even lighter with a cuban fiber pack like those from Zpacks.
    http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml

For weight considerations, would consider grabbing a cuban fiber tarp as well. Several cottage vendors offer them, including Zpacks, Hammockgear, others.

Good luck! Please let us know what you end up with and provide updates on your travels!

Bruce
    Last edited by bdaabat; 12-26-2012 at 23:40. Reason: Added links

Hammock
    I see the warbonnet comes in Multi-cam. THAT is cool....I definately want something that is not going to stand out and multi-cam is the best camo patteren out there....

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    Btw: would also suggest reviewing Shug's videos:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15516

Bruce

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Check out Elemental Horizons packs. I passed on my ULA once I tried the EH Kalais. It's the best fitting pack I've ever worn including my ULA Circuit.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    Welcome aboard! Can't possibly go wrong with a Warbonnet Black Bird. If you don't weigh much get the 1.1 single. It packs down incredibly small. I don't even bother packing mine. Just stuff it in my pack around other stuff to fill up any possible empty space. Good luck on the trip.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When it comes to packing fast, you'll probably want to keep the rainfly/tarp - which may be wet - away from the hammock - which should be dry.

Hennessy sells "snake skins" that work with other hammocks too. They slide on the hammock from the suspension line - one from each side - and enclose it in a nylon tube. You can fold the tube up, wrap the suspension lines around it and put it in your pack. Also, from Campmor, Bliss sells their version of a snake skin for half the price of Hennessy - about $10.00. Once again it is a nylon sleeve, but designed to go from one end to the other instead of two parts meeting in the middle.

Or ... you might decide to keep your fly/tarp in a nylon wrap like a snake skin to keep the wet away from other gear. I don't like that idea myself, I prefer to tie wet gear on the outside of the pack.

Also bear in mind, astonishing though it may be, that at some point you may not find trees or support to suspend your hammock. In that case it has just become a "bivi bag" and you'll need a ground cover that maybe that insulation pad.

At some point, more money doesn't mean better; it just means more money. But the cut and the rigging, the "feel" is going to be different. Just like two pair of pants with the same waist and inseam from two manufacturers will fit differently.

I started with a classic Hennessy and that sold me on hammocks. Now I'm playing with WarBonnet. And I have a ENO single nest I keep in the car.

As much as the bottom opening of Hennessy is unconventional, there is something to say for the simplicity of just sitting up, putting your feet down and standing up - no messing with zippers.

If you do get a zipper model, I suggest you put additional pull cord on the zipper, preferably the reflective kind.

Paul

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast