Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    When is your trip? Is it a year from now that you're training for or have you already done that and are ready to go? If you aren't in a hurry and I hope you aren't because choosing the right rig for your personal needs is a process. Something you have to decide by trying out diff. configurations and testing in the field.
    The best first move is for you to attend a hang where folks are gathered so you may actually see hammock rigs and try them out. One of the biggest hangs of the year is about to happen in about 3 weeks in Florida! If you can get to Buck Lake in Ocala National Forest between 17-22 you will have a plethora of rigs to check out and many folks to get all the info you want to help make the many decisions you will need to make before your trip.
    I am an active sleeper too and I also started out in a ENO Doublenest. I loved it but at the time it was all I could afford. Now I have upgraded to a longer hammock and I can sleep better on my side, which I prefer. And of course the suspension that comes with the ENO has a lot to be desired. It's heavy, the Slap Straps stretch even though their new Atlas Straps aren't suppose too but they still take up too much room in a pack. The Guardian Bug Net is very bulky too and is heavier than others out there. I have no experience with ENO rain flies except that I know the fabric they are made of does not pack down as small as a Silnylon tarp or other fabrics preferred by backpackers like Spinn or Cuban.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    On ENOs; I like em! An ENO Single was one of my first 5 hammocks. They are the shortest of the hammocks made from that materiel and in that style. If that is what your buddy likes, tell him to try a Ticket To The Moon, or better yet, a Trek Light. Same basic hammocks, but longer. In this game, more often than not, longer is better.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I would not leave on a trip around the world with a Backpack I've never used or a pair of boots I 've not broke in.

Spend some time getting to know your hammock (regardless of brand) and you'll find a set-up that will work.

Good luck and happy hangin'

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I stopped paying attention when you said money wasn't an object. When I was a hammocking whippersnapper, like you, I thought by research, I could find the perfect hammock and be on my way. Ha! And ha, again! Most of us have more hammocks than we'd like to admit. We have pads AND under quilts. A few of us have hammock socks and those of us that don't would love to buy or make one.

My advice, other than to speak slowly, sit up straight and for goodness sake, turn down that music, is to buy several if you can't borrow several and see what works best for you. Of course, you'll ignore my advice and when you finally find out I'm right, you'll think you figured it out all by yourself.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I did the Appalachian Trail this year.
    The worst thing I did equipment wise was going with a pack "just by research" meaning, on the internet.
    500 miles in, I traded my ULA for an Osprey Talon.
    I would give that Elemnetal Horizons Kalais Pack a go as well.

You MUST try these on- WITH ALL OF YOUR GEAR ( or heavy sand bags they have at outfitters).
    You will be sorry if you don't.

Also, an integrated bug net is a must with the locations you mentioned.
    I used a Hennessey Hyperlight. I would also try Papa Smurf's Darien UL.
    I kept mine in snakeskins although I think bishop bag is better.

I used a MacCal Ultra without any failures.
    I would have liked doors at points where it was colder.
    Use mesh snake skins for the tarp.

Get the Warbonnet Superfly or the Hammock Gear, 4 season cuben fiber tarp.

I guess if money is not an issue, you can trade gear out as you go.
    By about 500 miles, you'll know what works for you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    still working on that one...
    Well, money is an issue...but I believe in the philosophy of "I am not rich enough to buy things twice" although from what others say, this might be untrue in the hammock world. Still, I can only take one so I do not mind paying more for the RIGHT one. Trying them out is going to be tough. I am in Ft. Myers, FL. All that is here is basspro and they do not have anything! Thus, the requested help. There is some really good advice here and I agree with just about everything I have read. Thanks guys.... The Warbonnet really seems to be getting some recommendations. I have done plenty of sleeping out on the ground with nothing except a poncho, so I am pretty sure they will all be somewhat comfortable. And like I said, I am going to use a pack that I can carry on a plane, or will fit under a seat of a bus, etc. The point being that I do not want it out of sight if the traveling gets dodgy. So I need something that really packs small. But at the same time...I would really like to have multi-season capability. I like the fact that the Warbonnet can be used on the ground as a bivy too. And I totally agree that integrated bug net is important! That is one of the put-offs of the ENO right now.
    Thanks
    P

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Being from Fort Myers, are you going to be able to make the 3rd Annual Florida Hang in Buck Lake, Ocala? It will be held from this Jan 18-21 (Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend). I ask because it will be the largest hang in Florida, yearly and attended by many hangers from outside of Florida as well.

There is a show and tell portion of Sat, I believe, where you can check out many beds (over 70 forum member hangers + guests, looking at over 100 folks). You can see most hammock types out there and try them out. A "Parade of Homes", if you will.
    There is also a raffle with a few hammocks as prizes. Also, there will be a few that bring extra hammocks and tents alike just to be ready to share if needed. I'm sure you will find what you like if you haven't found it by then.

What I'm saying(in such a log way, sorry), like others, is go and find some hangers that will show you their rig in person, to help in your decision so you can try and get the best bang for your buck, the first time.
    Happy hanging.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I second making the Florida hang if at all possible. You'll have the opportunity to try most every hammock available. You you'll also have the opportunity to see different tarp, suspension, and insulation configurations.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hellkitten View Post
    Well, money is an issue...but I believe in the philosophy of "I am not rich enough to buy things twice" although from what others say, this might be untrue in the hammock world. Still, I can only take one so I do not mind paying more for the RIGHT one. Trying them out is going to be tough. I am in Ft. Myers, FL. All that is here is basspro and they do not have anything! Thus, the requested help. There is some really good advice here and I agree with just about everything I have read. Thanks guys.... The Warbonnet really seems to be getting some recommendations. I have done plenty of sleeping out on the ground with nothing except a poncho, so I am pretty sure they will all be somewhat comfortable. And like I said, I am going to use a pack that I can carry on a plane, or will fit under a seat of a bus, etc. The point being that I do not want it out of sight if the traveling gets dodgy. So I need something that really packs small. But at the same time...I would really like to have multi-season capability. I like the fact that the Warbonnet can be used on the ground as a bivy too. And I totally agree that integrated bug net is important! That is one of the put-offs of the ENO right now.
    Thanks
    P
    Hey......you can see my Warbonnet BlackBird and also an add on bug net for a netless hammock on this video of mine at 1:00 in.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    still working on that one...
    AWESOME video, you did a real nice job with that.... I am just about sold on the Warbonnet. Any reason a Clark would be better? Any advantages? I like the Warbonnets style - bug net built in, lightweight, and you can use it as a lounging chair. What about a rain fly?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast