Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Check out these videos and illustrations for a continuous ridge line and tarp flyz and hooks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=63271

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brains View Post
    I use AHE cinch buckles and webbing for the suspension and before I got a quality (nylon) tarp, I used to used a poly tarp, I had a small section of paracord wrapped around the webbing in a prusik knot on each end to which I would run a ridgeline from end to end. Then I would feed a loop through the grommet and insert a twig in each end. When the tarp was in place I would slide the prusik knots in opposite directions to tighten the ridgeline, which would tighten nicely even while in the hammock. Today I used the cinch buckles and new tarp in the same manner but when I got in the hammock the ridge sagged down. I could not make it any tighter. What am I doing wrong and what should I do?
    Thanks
    Ed
    Was it the same size trees use always use?
    Just thinking out loud & if Im picturing your set up right as described if the trees are on the smallish side they will bend in a little with your weight making some additional slack. Any who like others said use a separate line for the tarp much more versatile.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Tree size was the same, I have not actually gone anywhere else but the woods behind my house, same 2 trees all of the times I have been out.
    These tarp flyz will do the trick. I have an outing coming up which will have people there who gave hammock camped before to help me out. This us so overwhelming, who would have thought?
    Thanks
    Ed

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Over or under

Brains,
    ridgeline above or below depends a bit on the cut of the tarp and a few other factors. If you use a separate ridge line, you can rig it as circumstances dictate.

For example, if your tarp has a catenary (arch) cut for the ridge line, you may want your ridge line above to allow the catenary to do its thing. Also you may want to lay some wet clothes on the ridge line to dry (Multitasking).

If your tarp has a straight cut ridge line, or it might experience a heavy load - like it you don't have ideal rigging and you can see water may pool in an area, or you might get a snow load, you could put the ridge line below the tarp for extra support at the crown.

I've always run the ridge line under; before I read comments on this forum. Now I think I'll try it on top as it slightly minimizes rubbing wear and unless there is fierce winds, snow, etc. I can't see a reason to put it under. Sure it gives a little more support to the tarp, but usually the tarp is engineered to be supported just by the D-Rings/loops/etc. at the ends.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If the weather is nice I hang my tarp under the tarp ridgeline. If it is going to rain I hang the trap over the ridgeline. Its all a matter of personal preference. I use Dutch Gear for most of my hammock and tarp suspension. I will try other stuff but always find myself going back to Dutch Gear.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    Is there an easy way to modify a tarp so it can be hung both ways? I currently have a chinook tarp that someone gave me after my car was broken into and all my gear was stolen. I'm in the process of rebuilding. Slow and steady.

Dutch, I was checking out your store, is the tarp flyz and zing-it the best set up for ridgelines that don't stretch?

Happy new year everyone!
    Last edited by Hototo; 01-01-2013 at 19:10.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    If doing a CRL(continuos ridgeline), most use about a 30' length. I would lose the paracord. It stretches too much. Use Zing-it or Lash- it for your tarp. If you don't have that right now, you could use braided masons line. It can be found at most hardware stores.
    I used to use 30' and swapped to 50'. I had several times that I fell short and had to rely on dog bones to make it work. My 50' line of 1.75 Lash-it only weighs an ounce. It's a little more line management but I have it if I need it.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Lash it or zing it are the best fro the tarp flys. I have his whoopie hooks their top notch.
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12