Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SQWERL View Post
    thanks for taking us along. i second that getting "AT fever". I gotta get in better shape and do a bunch more hiking.
    I hear you. I've been running, so the cardio levels weren't bothering me. However, my quads were a little stiff when I got back home; I went to grab something out of a cooler at work and stood back up and realized that I have to do more weight lifting before I go back to the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by richtorfla View Post
    Thanks for sharing. We have been to Helen and stayed at Unicoi campground. Real nice place! Me and the kids jumped up on the AT at Unicoi gap for a day hike. It was the steepest climb up I had ever done! A real calf burner. Glad you got to get out. Anna ruby falls was just down the road from Helen. Nice falls. Short hike to get to them. They paved it there since its a tourist visit. I love that area.

Glad you got to get out! Nice break from making pizza!
    Absolutely beautiful area. The whole family wound up going to Anna Ruby, but I didn't get any video of it. That was pretty, and easy to get to. We also did a trail at Unicoi, but I don't remember which one it was. Again, I wasn't really videoing; I was talking with the family as we walked along.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Great way to spend the holidays

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter View Post
    Great way to spend the holidays
    It most definitely was.
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Ditto on the AT fever. Thanks for sharing the video. I hope to follow your lead sometime in 2013.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLazy View Post
    Ditto on the AT fever. Thanks for sharing the video. I hope to follow your lead sometime in 2013.
    Thank you! Not sure if I'm the best guy to follow, though; I seem to get lost pretty easily...
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Hello FLRider!

lol puddles are funish to step in! I can’t remember who said it, but it’s known as type 2 fun. I wonder how Blood Mountain got its name. It sure is a special place, I can feel its specialness from here. Three weeks of food is a lot of food. Well, that was really good, FLRider, looks like you had a great time! Thanks for the video!

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Nice video, Rider. Brought back my AT fever, too, but that's pretty much constant for me. I remember Wildcat Mtn as the first real butt-kicker on the AT, short but STEEP!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruciehi5 View Post
    Hello FLRider!

lol puddles are funish to step in! I can’t remember who said it, but it’s known as type 2 fun. I wonder how Blood Mountain got its name. It sure is a special place, I can feel its specialness from here. Three weeks of food is a lot of food. Well, that was really good, FLRider, looks like you had a great time! Thanks for the video!
    Puddles are great to step in--if it's not 45* F (~7* C). Your toes get a little chilly at that point. I will say, though, that the Smartwool socks my MIL got me last year performed excellentlly with my lightweight runners. They kept my feet from getting cold when moving, even under those conditions.

The "Type 2 fun" thing was Andrew Skurka. Don't remember just exactly which of his blogs he first mentioned it in, but it's the sort of fun that's good for free beer later. Not so much fun at the time.

According to Wikipedia, there are conflicting stories as to how Blood Mountain got its name, but the most common story is that the local Cherokee and Creek tribes had a battle there over territory. Sure wouldn't want to be trying to fight in that terrain, especially with muscle-powered weapons. But, well...I guess they did.

Thanks, Bruciehi5! It sure is a beautiful portion of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    Nice video, Rider. Brought back my AT fever, too, but that's pretty much constant for me. I remember Wildcat Mtn as the first real butt-kicker on the AT, short but STEEP!
    Wildcat was pretty steep up from the gap, yes. And so is the blue blaze to the shelter there. But it wasn't too bad; the short length meant it was easy to push through.

Blood Mountain was just as steep in spots, especially the last mile or so, and a lot longer. And it was...interesting...coming back down on slick, wet leaves covering slick mud. I shouldn't have hurried the way that I did, but...well...I survived it, at least.

Thanks, Duffy!
    --Floridahanger

Nothing like spending the holidays with a bunch of trees. Sometimes better than family and nearly always a welcome break from the hubbub. Good for you!
    "For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous.
    Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant!" - Edward Abbey

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanDerkins View Post
    Nothing like spending the holidays with a bunch of trees. Sometimes better than family and nearly always a welcome break from the hubbub. Good for you!
    Yeah, the ability to be alone out there and just mull things while I take in the absolute glory of nature is worth it to me. It was still great being with the family, but some time away from people--even one's own family--is necessary for me from time to time.

It was a great trip!
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast