Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snake Skins

Snake Skins

Who uses them and why? Well, I know why, but do they take up MORE room in one's pack? How do you store them completely wrapped up loose or in a stuff sack itself altogether?

I'm learning much on this forum but still extremely wet behind the ears....I'm trying to keep weight down but yet remain simple and fast as well.

Since I live in Minnesota with the state bird being a Mosquito (I kid ) I'll be purchasing a bugnet as well....or I suppose I could make my own. Either way would you also leave this on the hammock itself to be wrapped up in the snakeskin or remove it all together.

I realize that having one big bag is sometimes a challenge with packing but then too so can several small bags. Personally I'd like just one bag for everything so I don't forget it....

Pardon me for asking a million questions at once and they are all kind of random as I'm just starting into Hammocking which looks to be another disease that steals my money.

Hammock
    HH Explorer asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    I use them on my Hammock and Tarp, I think the hammock take up a little more room or it may be that its not quite such a convenient shape when packed. The tarp lives on the outside of the pack so its not such an issue.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    0* and 20* UQ
    Suspension
    slings w/marlin sp
    Images
    I prefer a skin for my tarp, as it is often somewhat moist or wet. It's so easy to pack it up when I'm ready to go. It also manages guylines better than packing into a sack, in my opinion. When I pack it away, I just fold it in half several times and wrap the end lines around it for compression (though I may be moving to a full ridgeline rather than guylines at each end).

I find that it is just as easy for me to just stuff the hammock into its own pouch and be done with it. If you do want to use skins on a hammock, I'd recommend separate ones for the hammock, due to the moisture.

As far as bags, I like to have several for organization. It is a bit heavier than putting everything in the backpack, but I find that a good balance of bag sizes (small/medium) is best. That way I can smoosh everything in there easily, yet still readily find what I need.

Good luck, and as always, hang your own hang!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by hilo4321 View Post
    I prefer a skin for my tarp, as it is often somewhat moist or wet. It's so easy to pack it up when I'm ready to go. It also manages guylines better than packing into a sack, in my opinion. When I pack it away, I just fold it in half several times and wrap the end lines around it for compression (though I may be moving to a full ridgeline rather than guylines at each end).

I find that it is just as easy for me to just stuff the hammock into its own pouch and be done with it. If you do want to use skins on a hammock, I'd recommend separate ones for the hammock, due to the moisture.
    Ditto! Plus some characters to get to 10

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    I use them on the tarp only. Slide 'em on and store in the outside pocket of my pack.

Thanks for the input guys! Much appreciated.

Hammock
    DIY D.L. Hammock, Eagle Nest pro
    Tarp
    Kelty12',9' & SF
    Insulation
    Down UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Do you take the bags the tarp comes with.. Poke a hole in the back end, add grommet to it.. Feed the line through.. to create the snake skin??. Or use other type bag.

As I keep, evolving in my ever quest to Be a professional Hanger.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I used mesh snake skins on my tarp and keep that on the outside pouch of my pack in the event it needs to dry or I need it in a hurry.

I used rip stop snakeskins for my hammock (Hennessy -WITH a bug net...that I NEVER regretted!).....but I now use a bishop bag because all of my whoopie slings would get tangled in my pack around all the other little bags. PITA.

As far as little bags in the pack (for medical, cook kit, snacks, etc) I used separate sizes and all different colors so I know EXACTLY which bag I am grabbing and what is in it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chug View Post
    Do you take the bags the tarp comes with.. Poke a hole in the back end, add grommet to it.. Feed the line through.. to create the snake skin??. Or use other type bag.

As I keep, evolving in my ever quest to Be a professional Hanger.
    Chug-

Someone here on hammock forums made my snakeskins.

What you are talking about is sort of an improvised bishop bag.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I found the Hennessy Snake skins are good for two, not three, items. So I can fit the hammock and fly or the hammock and undercover. I use the snake skins for hammock and undercover - keeping it dry and separate from the fly, which could be wet.

But now, I've found the Bliss sun shade - or what ever they call it. It is sort of like a small bishop bag - and I consider a bishop bag to be a snake skin without taper; a really fat snake skin. Anyway, I'm considering using the Bliss bag for hammock, undercover and maybe even UQ - so they are all together - and use the HH snake skins just for the tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast