Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    I hung a few weeks ago in temperatures very similar (maybe a degree or two warmer) with just a Big Agnes Air Core pad and was fine. In the scheme of things that's really not all that cold. I used my coat as some added padding around my shoulders and upper body and that seems to really help. I'm going out tonight and tomorrow as well and I've added a small (20" x 18") piece of Wal-Mart CCF in case my feet get cold, but that's more because of them slipping off the pad than anything.

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The hot water bottle trick helps things stay comfy too.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Is this a car camping trip, or are you packing every thing in? If weight and bulk are no object, you could probably rig something up with extra sleeping bags/pads etc. Another thought--in Ed Speers book "hammock camping" he teaches that when its just too darn cold to hang , its better to go to ground and be comfortable. I've been on hammock trips where its way too cold for my gear----its not a fun experience. As I'm sure you know, hammocks can be alot colder than sleeping on the ground-------be careful!
    Last edited by stevebo; 12-28-2012 at 12:38.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    If it's your GF's first time out with you, you might want to invest in chemical warmers. If she turns out miserable, it may be hard to get her to try another trip.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Think about running by Wally world and picking up blue CCF pads for each hammock. They weigh next to nothing and strap on outside anyway. Better to have, than wish you did at 2 AM

And yeah, this is an overnight trip with about 12 of us. So no car within about a 6 mile hike.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ........... But like Ed Speer always said, if you just can not keep warm enough for whatever reason on a particularly bad night, just go to ground like you always did before.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    .... Another thought--in Ed Speers book "hammock camping" he teaches that when its just too darn cold to hang , its better to go to ground and be comfortable. I've been on hammock trips where its way too cold for my gear----its not a fun experience. As I'm sure you know, hammocks can be alot colder than sleeping on the ground-------be careful!
    Ha! Beat you by 45 mins, I win! Then again, what's the saying? Is it "great minds think alike"?

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Think about running by Wally world and picking up blue CCF pads for each hammock. They weigh next to nothing and strap on outside anyway. Better to have, than wish you did at 2 AM

And yeah, this is an overnight trip with about 12 of us. So no car within about a 6 mile hike.
    Yeah, that is different, you MUST be warm enough. But still, if you are prepared to go to ground as an absolutely last resort, you are covered.

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    I was wondering myself if there is going to be a fire? Alway a good way to get warmed up and hit the hammock again. The hot water bottle doesn't hurt but the hard part is keeping your body on the pad threw out the night. The feet are always my concern. Wool is the name of the game there. Hope that gives you some help.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    DIY The Green Machine
    Tarp
    Tad Pole
    Insulation
    TQ TBA UQ HG 20
    Suspension
    UCR Whoopies
    Find out if there will be a fire, always helps. Wool for the feet is important plus keeping your body on the pad is super important. The blue W/M pads work well. Hope that helps.
    ~My therapist has told me that the first step to recovery is admitting my problem, Hello I'm a Hammockolic~

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Oh...there will be fire!
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly & HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    If it's your GF's first time out with you, you might want to invest in chemical warmers. If she turns out miserable, it may be hard to get her to try another trip.
    +1 on the chemical warmers for just in case emergency warmth.
    I slept on pad many times & stayed warm in that temp. The key is to keep the wind off you or everyone if at all possible. Have fun you can always stoke up the fire hangout & take a nice nap in the daytime when it warms up.
    I usually do any way.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast