Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just got my SkeeterBeeter - no directions???

Sorry for all the questions, but...I got the package deal from REI w/ SB and tarp for island camping. This being my first camping hammock, I dont have any idea of how to set it up right. It didnt come w/ any directions. Got the hammock part figured out easily enough, but what about the suspension for the bug net and then the tarp. Can the bug net be set up semi permenantly so it is up automatically when hammock is set up? Is the bug net tied off to tree as well, or to the hammock or s ring? Does the tarp just drape over the bug net? Can it work w/ out it?
    Also, I am really happy w/ the hammock. Seems well made packs up nicely in individual bags, ect. How durable is the netting on these things? The reason I ask is I have 3 "pea" sized holes in it and I have never used it. 2 look like small tears, the other looks like it got "stretched". I am sure its not supposed to come this way, but is this something that is normal after a while and I'll have to deal with at some point anyway? I have some scape material that was in the hammock that I can probrably fix it with, but I may see about getting it replaced if this isnt the norm.
    Sorry for long post, thanks for any help w/ this stuff!

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

How did you fix your holes?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Mine came with directions I think, I don't remember using them

The videos should help.

The netting is incredibly tough, BUT I too tore mine (My fault, will not go there right now) I just stitched the tears (1 - 3") closed by hand, they held for about 2 years, till I wore the zipper out & cut the netting off. The zipper probably withstood over 2500 openings & closings. Likely had I not modified the netting by making the net much shorter thereby adding stress to the zipper, it would have lasted 3 to 4 times longer.

My netting had the ridgeline run through it (the reason for the modification refered to above), & went into place when I hung. So, yes you can rig it so it stays attached & up off you.

Most do not suspend the tarp on the hammock, the tarp is (Usually) a separate entity: either with or without it's own ridgeline. That way you can put your tarp up independant of the hammock. Most times this is not very imortant, but during a Thunder Storm, it can keep your gear dry.
    You hang your SEPARATE Tarp, get it all tight & staked down, THEN hang your dry hammock under your shelter. I keep my tarp in an outside pocket so I don't need to open the pack to get it out when it is raining, I st the tarp up, put everything under it, me included, then I hang the hammock*, change to dry clothing if needed, get my stove & food out & have dinner.

* My quilts are in the same "Black Bishop" bag with the hammock, & are in place as soon as I hang the hammock. From "My tarp is up" to "I can get in my hammock" takes about 30 seconds. If I hurry, I CAN do it in about 15 seconds. Total set up including the tarp, normal effort: 2.5 minutes. I am in a BIG hurry (Really motivated), less than 1.75 min.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    I ended up swapping out the 4.5 mm suspension cord that came with my SB Pro with 550 cord. It's lighter and packs smaller. Also in pinch you can use 550 cord for other things and it's cheap to replace if need be. The only downside to 550 cord is that it stretches the first or second time you put your weight on it. After that, it doesn't stretch.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

I finally got my media player working and looked real quick at the vids.

You would think you wouldnt need directions, huh. BUT...I got the FF tarp and SB hammock combo. All the accessories were together so I am not sure what goes w/ what. I have some stretchy cord as well as small diameter rope. I assume the stretchy cord is for the netting? And the small diameter rope is for the tarp? I didnt find the small rope until after I tried using the tarp w/ the streachy cord, and it didnt work real well. Havent tried the static rope yet. They dont cover that in the vid, can someone tell me if this is right?

I didnt fix the holes. I emailed Grand Trunk and they are going to replace it. I just need to send mine back first. Gonna put it to its first test first week of feb, so I need to get familiar w/ it before then...
    Last edited by justfish; 01-11-2009 at 13:23.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    BA Insulated & SPE
    Images
    The bug net cord should be the lightweight black kinda stretch loose weave cord. At least that's the one that came with mine. As for the tarp, I can't help there. Didn't get the FF.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Well here it is.....I just ordered the REI package deal on the GTABE. I have been trying to get a feeling for how things are going to fit me, I am not the most normal size (built like a firehydrant). Plus I have to factor in the weight, mine not the hammock. Since I am a newb and trying a hammock out for th first time I think this is a good option for me. I was hesitant to jump on this deal because I could not get the people at REI to confirm that this was actually the SB Pro. After reading all of the "trash" talk on another thread I thought I would try this thing out. I will eventually write a review of my findings and pass them on so other firehydrants out there can try this "Hanging Out" thing as well. Besides, if it is not to my liking I'm only out 70 bucks and I can either return it, have the 100% REI satisfaction guaranteed, let my daughter use it when we go camping or signifigant other, at the time, or etc........ I wish I would have found this site a couple of years ago, cold unforgiving ground can play *(&%$(&^)&^ on a tired, overworked, beat up body.

Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    bigbamaguy- I like your signature!
    "No easy life without hardship before it"...or something close to that.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Let us know when you get it!

I like my SBPro - like you said - I think it's a very inexpensive way to get into hammocking...

I wouldn't worry about your size or weight. I'm 6' ~200lbs and the SBPro is huge - and I've been in it with both my kids piled on top so that's probably a good 300 with no issues.

And I'm saving my pennies for a Clark or Warbonnet...

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast