Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yep, true shoulder season. You could have snow or be 70. I plan on winter quilts and adjust clothing at last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    How much you all want to bet we're carrying winter loads----well except for Spamburgler, he took on the Smokies in winter with what appeard to be a summer loaded Ohm
    This like the BSF hang will set another record, largest number of hangers covering miles over several days.

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    I am coming in shorts and no shoes! :0 JK Depending on weather may be wearing the 5 fingers though.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

hmmmm on the no shoes

reminds of the bare foot sisters on the AT...'garless the connector trail will be fun barefoot

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always
    I sure hope it isn't 70*! I was up in the park the other weekend and it dipped into the teens. I'm a fan of nights around freezing and days in the forties...but I'll take whatever for good hiking and "hanging out" with good peeps.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Images
    Looks like I will be in the Gulf the same weekend, however, I will have a couple of clients with me so I doubt I will be piggy backing your trip. However, these guys are all noobs to hanging so I am sure they would love to see your gear!

Hopefully our paths will cross or even parallel. My plans are Friday in at Savage Gulf Ranger station to Hobbs Friday evening, we will then move to sawmill for Saturday night and day hike to Stone Door and back, moving camp Sunday to Stage Coach and day hiking the Collins gulf trail, then hiking out Monday. I think Friday nights converge but I am unsure of our trail head start time as we have a 8 hr drive in front of us.

Who knows the hiking time from the ranger station to Hobbs?

swank

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Who knows the hiking time from the ranger station to Hobbs?

swank

Approx 8.5 miles with small elevation changes. If you think you are going to push dark take the North Plateau Trail it is about .5 longer but flat (fast). No one will fall into the gorge on that trail

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Approx 8.5 miles with small elevation changes. If you think you are going to push dark take the North Plateau Trail it is about .5 longer but flat (fast). No one will fall into the gorge on that trail
    Yes, I am aware of the distance, but there's 8.5 miles and then there is 8.5 miles....I have not hiked that stretch in a long time and don't remember it at all. You think average fit hikers can cover it in 3-4 hours?

swank

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    The North Plateau to Hobbs Cabin is about as easy as it gets so I would think most hikers would be able to complete in that time. The North Rim trail is rocky in places with more up and downs so it probably is closer to the 4 hours. Group dynamics are always different as you know so I was just trying to provide trail info

Yes, I am aware of the distance, but there's 8.5 miles and then there is 8.5 miles....I have not hiked that stretch in a long time and don't remember it at all. You think average fit hikers can cover it in 3-4 hours?

swank

Hammock
    Grapenut DIY
    Tarp
    HNO Airship
    Insulation
    Leigh-Lo
    Suspension
    Always

swank
    I did Ravens Point to Foster Falls in under 3. It's similar (right around 8.5) and there is a gorge to deal with on the Fiery Gizzard, however, as Mark mentioned group dynamics can change that. Also, I'm not known for lolly gagging either.

I won't tell you not to hike at night, but the rangers frown on it and signs clearly state against it, so be stealth if you do.
    Afoot and light-hearted, I take to the open road,
    Healthy, free, the world before me,
    The long brown path before me, leading wherever I choose.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ftroop94 View Post
    I did Ravens Point to Foster Falls in under 3. It's similar (right around 8.5) and there is a gorge to deal with on the Fiery Gizzard, however, as Mark mentioned group dynamics can change that. Also, I'm not known for lolly gagging either.

I won't tell you not to hike at night, but the rangers frown on it and signs clearly state against it, so be stealth if you do.
    I just did that section today, and minus a lunch break and did it in about 3:45. When I hiked the 8 miles from Savage Gulf RS to Hobbs Cabin back in October, I covered it in about 3:50, including a short lunch break. I'm not much of a speedster any more, but a hiker in sort of decent shape can put their head down and make the first day's hike in 4 hours.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast