Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Now i'm no expert on Hennessys but i believe they have a bubble pad that clips into the Hammock and doesn't move around., just sayin. And like someone else said a 2QZQ UQ Protector, and a couple of hot water bottles.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Images
    You could always get a custom made one to suit you better here...
    Underground Quilts
    I have a few from him, great work.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    Now i'm no expert on Hennessys but i believe they have a bubble pad that clips into the Hammock and doesn't move around., just sayin. And like someone else said a 2QZQ UQ Protector, and a couple of hot water bottles.
    I have not seen the bubble pads that clips into the Hennessy, but I have seen the Super Shelter. I wonder if that is what you are talking about. Since Hennessy does not accept paypal, this was not an option for me. Besides, I like the look of the underquilt underneath anyways. And once I get the removable bug net mod from 2QZQ (???), it will be no trouble at all to adjust in the middle of a frosty night with no precipitation. As for the UQ protector, good idea. I will have to invest in one of these.

BTW, I decided to go with the MW4. It is pricey, but I want to be warm and I have heard they make quality products.

Thanks for all the input guys. Now, for the whoopie conversion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    If your issue with the pad is that it slides around, you might want to consider a hammock with a sleeve. The Warbonnet Blackbird is one such hammock. My pad stays right where I put it.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    See, I really wanted to get away from using a pad. They are so hard to keep under you at night. I love to move around when I am sleeping.
    I'm not aware of an UQ on the market that will handle -20 F by itself. The JRB MW4 is the lowest rated, but that is at -5 F.

The lowest I've gone was around the - 20 F range. That was using a Pea Pod along with an extra UQ and a TQ. Granted, I did need to vent a time or two from it being too warm, but I would not have tried it without those pieces of gear since any of those layers would not have made it that cold alone.

Even though I'm a pretty warm sleeper, there have been times that I was chilled and fatigued before I got into my hammock with its insulation. When you're already cold, tired and possibly dehydrated, most of the time you'll need something warmer than it rating.

Have you gone out in those temps in a tent before? If so, what were you using then to overcome the cold?

My Mt. Washington 4 UQ just shipped out today.......hope to try it out this weekend. Currently we are in the low teens at night here in OH.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    I have been researching underquilts now for the better part of a year, and I think that I may have decided on one. I want to purchase the JRB Mt. Washington 4. The only problem is that I am unsure of it's performance in extremely cold tempuratures. Since I live in north central Alberta Canada, our winter temps range from 0 celcius to -40 celcius, and can get colder with the windchill. Granted, I probably would not be sleeping in my hammock at tempuratures below -30, but you never know. So, does anyone have some advice for this northern hanger. Which underquilt should I go with? Should I even bother hanging in the winter? Any advice is good advice. Thanks.

p.s. I do not have the means to construct my own underquilt, so this is not an option.
    I had a custom made full length down underquilt made by Hammock Gear. I had it made for -15F (-26C). I had it out one weekend last winter and the overnight temperature did hit -26C and I was quite comfortable. That being said I was sleeping in a zipped up -60F wiggy's sleeping bag wearing only base layers and some booties. I also won't mention my Canvas wedge hot tent that I use for winter camping. If my insulation got to the point that was insufficient, I have the option of running my wood stove to raise the inside ambient temperature. I haven't had to do this so far, and I really don't plan on it anytime soon either.

If you are going to be out regularly in temps below 0F (-18C) you will have supplement your insulation or have a custom made quilt to your specifications. If you watch some of Shug's winter videos, he shows a number of ways of sleeping warm in temperatures down to -26F or so.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12