Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Light Hiker Bedroll

I am wondering if anyone can tell me anymore about the light hiker bedroll. I get the idea it's basically a top quilt that's made out of some material? But I don't get what the material is or if it's comfortable.

Seems like these have kind of fallen off the rails. I don't see it on the website anymore and most of the posts I have found on here are mostly talk about it being light and packing small (good but I'm looking for more)

What are you laying in? Is there insulation in them? Do they zip up like a sleeping bag or are they like a quilt? Why did these not catch on?

Thanks everyone

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    One description I googled..." Double Layer IX Top Quilt".

IX = Insultex, a thin foam similar to the PE packing foam TV's come in with a scrim layer added to both sides. Think ~1/16" foam which also acts as a vapor barrier.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Bedroll was, to my understanding, discontinued. I don't recall if it's being replaced or not. I have it and it's lightweight ripstop (30d?) which is pretty comfortable. I don't mind it and it's good to about 40 on its own. I may have been a little lower. I've used it to the mid 20s with the addition of a fleece blanket.

It's basically a very thin top quit with a sewn footbox. There's no zipper. I looked on my website but I don't have any pics that give you a good representation.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images
    Just found one in the for sale thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65206

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Just found one in the for sale thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=65206
    That's why I am asking about it. I wanted true opinions though not necessarily just the sellers opinion.

Still unsure how I feel about it though... Seems like a neat idea just not sure if it's the best fit for me. I am a motorcycle camper so being able to squish something down small outweighs weight of a item. Not sure if the rolled up nature of this quilt is the best fit yet. Seems like it might be but I just would like to see more information.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
    That's why I am asking about it. I wanted true opinions though not necessarily just the sellers opinion.

Still unsure how I feel about it though... Seems like a neat idea just not sure if it's the best fit for me. I am a motorcycle camper so being able to squish something down small outweighs weight of a item. Not sure if the rolled up nature of this quilt is the best fit yet. Seems like it might be but I just would like to see more information.
    If you're worried about sheer packability, down is probably the way to go. It'll cost an arm and a leg compared to some of the other options--unless you DIY--but it also packs into a smaller space than anything else. Including IX. IX is great for weight savings, not so much for volume savings.

Anyway, that's what my experience being around both has indicated. Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Well, it's made of IX, which can conjure up lots of different opinions from different folks.
    Since it's IX it will only compress but so much, if you've never seen IX then the best way to describe it is think of packing peanuts. It's a flat piece of the same material. It insulates very well, but comes at the cost (?) of being a vapor barrier. It is for this reason alone many people don't like it. It is superbly light weight and insulates extremely well for it's weight.

I use it in an under quilt I made, and the best way I can describe it is it's like sleeping on a heating pad, which I love! (I use 4 layers)

I've seen One of these bedrolls before and I really like the design of the product, it actually is kinda upsetting that it has been discontinued from the vendor, however I can understand why it was - chances are too many people didn't understand what they were getting into and they faulted the vendor, rather than their own misunderstanding of the product.

Given the right understanding of the product and how it works, and the right usage, you will likely love it. However, misunderstand how/when to use it and, well you'll likely hate it.

While the product listed in the marketplace will probably sell to some one who has been looking for the bedroll for sometime now, I would offer that you checkout DIYGearSupply.com, Scott has some IX that he sells for a pretty good price, you could probably buy a few yards of it, try it out, and then know for yourself if it will work for you or not. If the bedroll is still available at that point, you can get it, and you'll have the extra IX that you can use to inset an extra layer for When you want to take the bedroll into colder temps.

Enjoy the journey~
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    The Bedroll was, to my understanding, discontinued. I don't recall if it's being replaced or not. I have it and it's lightweight ripstop (30d?) which is pretty comfortable. I don't mind it and it's good to about 40 on its own. I may have been a little lower. I've used it to the mid 20s with the addition of a fleece blanket.

It's basically a very thin top quit with a sewn footbox. There's no zipper. I looked on my website but I don't have any pics that give you a good representation.
    I'm glad you have one. How is the breathability? I made a 3 layer 3/4 length UQ, & I like it. Easy to make, light & it tools up pretty small.
    I was wondering about making a TQ, but thought it might be to hot. I want it for ~40*
    Can you post us some pics? Dimensions
    Last edited by ibgary; 12-29-2012 at 10:23.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It's not really breathable due to the IX. It does seem to squish down into my pack ok, though. I have ever roll it up.

I'll see what I can do about getting some specs and pics.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Seems like a neat product but I think I might look for something different. Might not be the best product suited for me at this point. I am too rookie to go with this I think. I might try the DIY stuff at some point but dropping over 100 on something I'm not sure about right now probably isn't the best idea.

Thanks for the experience and help everyone!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast