WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Thanks for the post, Refreshing! This Bridge looks like a great solution to your gathered-end issues. Nice DIY!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Im new on this forum, but I just realized this hang is just over an hr from my house. Im gonna try to make it. my wife works one sat a month and thats the one so I gotta get my kids watched before I can commit.

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by Refreshing View Post
    Agreed, sortof. Your deerstand ropes I assume are dynamic because they are meant to catch a fall. Falling onto these lines is thrilling to say the least! However arborist ropes are static and falling onto one can break bones or even kill you because there is no stretch in the rope.

Safety line is anchored at the top of the tree which gives me full access to the lower branches. I used a gathered end hammock at first and they are too wiggly to easily get in and out of.

I have decided to make a large post with all my canopy camping links and all of the details for each different hammock that I used. I think this will greatly help with anyone interested in the subject. So stay tuned.
    I enjoy your hangs and like I mentioned earlier will join you in the trees. however as a arborist we don't use high static lines for climbing on. We use them for rigging limbs and wood to be taken out of the trees. The ropes we climb on are more forgiving then that. That have to be because of the reasons you mentioned in the way they jolt you on stopping. I forget the ratios but I think it is something in the 8-10% stretch compared to 3-4% ration for static. numbers could be off a little but it is close

Also when you are tied in the tree at night how many anchor spots do you have. I am thinking of Pendulum.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    I enjoy your hangs and like I mentioned earlier will join you in the trees. however as a arborist we don't use high static lines for climbing on. We use them for rigging limbs and wood to be taken out of the trees. The ropes we climb on are more forgiving then that. That have to be because of the reasons you mentioned in the way they jolt you on stopping. I forget the ratios but I think it is something in the 8-10% stretch compared to 3-4% ration for static. numbers could be off a little but it is close

Also when you are tied in the tree at night how many anchor spots do you have. I am thinking of Pendulum.
    Interesting. I use PMI EZ Bend which has 3% elongation at 600lbf. This seemed to be a popular choice over at the Canopy Chatter forums so I stuck with it since I can source it locally. I wonder what percentage a rope must stretch for it to be considered dynamic vs static?

And yes I make sure that my rope is right above my sleeping spot by using redirects before I go to sleep however this means I use one bomber anchor spot then clove hitch the rope to the limb hanging above my hammock so that the two limbs aren't squeezed together in a fall.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    When climbing I use a 11-11.7 mm rope made specifically for tree climbing. I saw a test from Yale cordage one where he had a a weight drop 6' straight down. It weighed only 250lbs. First cordage he used was a static role with a 22,000 breaking strength. He dropped it once and broke clean. The next one was a dynamic one which had a breaking strength of 6,500 a "climbing" rope. He dropped it six times and it didn't break. The second one is the same type of rope I use.
    Last edited by Nighthauk; 12-30-2012 at 15:23.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    Warbonnet- BlackBird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet-SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ-HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    This takes hanging to a whole different level. (way above my head) But I am enjoying the pics and reading about your adventure....
    Thanks a bunch for the post. just-bobby

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Pretty well all of the newer safety harnesses for hunting have dynamic fall arrest built in to the straps. They sew them in an accordian style that rips apart to take the shock out of your fall. I was wearing a simple 2" wide strap with a buckle to keep it from tightening around your chest. Yes it did some severe bruising half way around my chest. Actually I was just kidding you about waking up in the middle of a fall. It didn't take long to hit the end of that strap. Hahaha. Be safe

Hammock
    HH, ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    OP nylon thingy
    Insulation
    JRB nest S2S MCII
    Suspension
    treehuggers, rings
    That is what I'm talking about! Im always surprised I dont see more of this...
    You don't want to die? Thats easy. Don't fail
    -Dan Osman

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234