Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

Observations on Cold Butt Syndrome

I've got a HG 20* Phoenix with 2 oz. overstuff, and I just bought an HG 0* Incubator with 2 oz. overstuff. However, I'm beginning to think that my CBS has nothing to do with anything but my own physiology.

I live for REM sleep, perchance to dream. I usually enter a period of quality REM sleep around 3:00 am. and if I'm lucky, I could dream till five am. Coincidentally I usually get CBS during this same time period.

So what if CBS has nothing to do with the shock cord losing tension in cold weather, or all the other advice I've read here on how to regulate your temps, etc., and so on?

According to Wikipedia at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_eye_movement_sleep

"Body temperature is not well regulated during REM." This may explain why I always start sweating during REM sleep, no matter what the weather. I could be butt naked or inside a 0* mummy bag, but when the REM sleep comes, I'm gonna sweat. It's a fact.

And of course, when you sweat, there's evaporation, which leads to cooling, which leads to cold butt syndrome or other cold spots. You can adjust the suspension all you want, but that doesn't address the problem that you're sweating.

Now if somebody has a solution to my physiological problem, I'm all ears. And please, Les Stroud fans, don't toss me any "You sweat, you die" adages. Much as I like Les Stroud, that's just an absurd statement. There's probably more truth in "You don't sweat, you die" than Les Stroud's argument.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Underquilts alone never seem to work for me either. I always carry a pad for sitting on during the day and for under my butt at night. It is the only thing that consistently works for me.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Underquilts alone never seem to work for me either. I always carry a pad for sitting on during the day and for under my butt at night. It is the only thing that consistently works for me.
    Stupid question - how do you keep that pad clean and dry? Mine seems to get mighty schmutzy after sitting on it all day, especially if the weather is inclement.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I wipe it off with a pack towel.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I usually have to vent my feet and lower legs in the middle of the night. For some reason, my lower legs and feet just start roasting midway through the night. Later on, I just put my quilt back over my legs. Not really a CBS situation, but it is a metabolic one for me. The pad under me will provide insulation, but it also make me clammy.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm gonna have to experiment with a pad. For me, it's always just one cold spot, maybe one butt cheek or a spot on my back. A pad might be the simplest solution.

I've got plenty of insulation for the temps I hang in, so a spot solution is probably my best bet rather than getting out and fiddling with suspension. If 95% of you is warm and this one little spot ain't, that suspension is gonna take a lot of tweaking to get it dialed in.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I guess I am a mutant, but I like a pad. I've been working on reducing bulk, so instead of my good old trusted 10.5 or so ounce pad and quilt, I've been cutting that down to a butt pad and using some 3/4 quilts that are slightly heavier.

It does get a little moist under me at times, but nothing I would call clammy or uncomfortable. Maybe it is what happens when you spend 23 years getting use to sleeping in crappy places like Louisiana swamps.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I am a mutant, but I like a pad. I've been working on reducing bulk, so instead of my good old trusted 10.5 or so ounce pad and quilt, I've been cutting that down to a butt pad and using some 3/4 quilts that are slightly heavier.
    What are the dimensions on that pad? I use a 21" x 16" section of 3/8" ccf pad doubled over to add some support to my GoLite Jam 50L, and it also serves as my sit pad. I could probably increase it to 24" x 16" and it could serve three duties: pack frame, sit pad, and spot warmer.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images

Maybe it is what happens when you spend 23 years getting use to sleeping in crappy places like Louisiana swamps.
    .....or Slickrock in June.

Images
    ... Maybe it is what happens when you spend 23 years getting use to sleeping in crappy places like Louisiana swamps.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!

I agree with the posters saying we are all different (tall, short, fat, skinny, warm, cold, good sleepers and bad) and until you realize that, you will keep chasing someone else's perfect setup that may not work for you. While I love this forum, reading it can cause my confidence to falter in my rigs "perfectness."

Bottom Line, find a setup that works for you, then stop reading those threads if you are weak like me. Must buy more gear.....

swank

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast