Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters Double
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x12
    Suspension
    Whoopies

DIY underquilt on the cheap?

I have been reading posts about UQ and am thinking of combining ideas. I plan on an overnighter at the end of January with temps around 20-30f. I am a pretty warm sleeper so tell me if this would work. I was going to use an old sleeping bag (pretty heavy) not sure of temp rating, folded in half with emergency blanket in between the layers with paracord as the suspension and using a cheap Walmart CCF pad wrapped in fleece inside the hammock with me. Do you think this would be warm enough? I use a mummy Kelty mummy bag that I usually sweat in.
    I am on a strict budget, I thought hammock camping would be cheaper but since I cannot wait until spring and want to sleep out now it will cost some money and the wife will not hear about it.
    I plan on bringing a tent for back up since this will be my first overnighter in a hammock and in the winter

Thoughts?
    Thanks
    Ed

To an extent insulation is insulation. Now everyone knows a 50* bag isn't going to be as warm as a 0* bag of course. Now I've yet to sleep in a hammock but on paper it sounds like it should work. I guess if it were me and I was really unsure of the temp rating of the bag I planned to use for the under quilt I actually would lay a space blanket on top of the ccf pad to lay on.

Last weekend I went out and tent camped, the temperature was below zero. I had a space blanket inside my bag on top of my body, in hindsight I wish I would have wrapped it around completely before sliding in the sleeping bag. Although I slept amazing my back was substantially colder than my front. I also had a wool blanket wrapping my bag in a cocoon and I was on top of a ccf pad in a tent on a tarp on pine bows. The bag I slept in was rated for 20* fyi.

So at the very least it wouldn't hurt to bring the space blanket.
    The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid that you will make one. -LRon Hubbard

Life is easy, it's the path's you take that can be difficult.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    I always suggest to do some testing before hand, in the backyard or somewhere close so you can test your gear and have an easy out if need be. I would say it would work if you dont mind the weight.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    If you have a pad and a good bag you should be able to survive. I would test in a location that you can bail if you need to, but I know of lots of people that do it with no more than a pad and bag.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm thinking you might be too warm. Depending on the temp rating of the bag, I'd say try it by itself as a UQ without the pad or emergency blanket. Possibly as a single layer instead of doubled up as the extra room to wrap up around your shoulders is going to help a great deal. If it is big enough you could zip it up around the hammock as a pod system to really heat up your hammock.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I can get by with 1 1/2 ccf pads criss-crossed under my torso. It's toasty down to freezing. I've never been below 20 in the hammock.

I think you'll be fine. I know you won't die.
    grinder

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
    I can get by with 1 1/2 ccf pads criss-crossed under my torso. It's toasty down to freezing. I've never been below 20 in the hammock.

I think you'll be fine. I know you won't die.
    +1

If you are bringing a blue pad, why not just get a second one and cut in half. You can set the halves up beneath the main pad under your butt and shoulders. If you're anxious to use the 550 cord, use it to sew the two layers of pads together. You could then leave the second sleeping bag at home. Two blue pads should provide about 40* of warmth. Your Kelty bag will make up the difference.

• + New Posts