Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

Colorado Fall Hang / Warbonnet Ridgerunner release party

We just got home and settled in from the CO Fall Hang, and big celebration of the release of the awesome Warbonnet Ridgerunner. Brandon brought along quite a few Ridgerunners, and it's a good thing he did - they were a hit We held the hang at Burning Bear campground, near Grant, CO, and had temperatures fit for a winter hang. It was a great weekend with great people, and even the few tent dwellers who showed up were very nice

The planning thread is here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59882

We arrived around 4:30 pm on Friday, and there were already a few people set up. Unfortunately, I'm terrible with names, so I will not do a very good job of saying who all was already there. We've been wanting to try out our latest crazy contraption, so we debuted the new, portable-but-heavy MustardDog stand:

By day light, it looked more like this:

For more on this stand, see this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...d.php?p=828703

Friday night, we all relaxed around the fire, eating the amazing chili LanceHawk provided, and enjoying the warmth of the fire. As the day stretched on, several hangers joined us, until our total number of hammocks set up for Friday night was 11. I managed to snap some pictures of a few of the setups, and please let me know if I am mixing any of these up... I am terrible with names.

Slowanderer's awesome Cuben fiber winter tarp:

Ice Man's sweet Camo Superfly:

Boothill and Sodakgrrl's side-by-side winter tarps. I absolutely LOVED the way they connected their panel pulls on the tarps facing each other. Genius. Their entire rigs were DIY - quilts, hammocks, tarps, the works. Very impressive setups (and some of the few that weren't Warbonnet hammocks... at least for the first night )

Boulderman had the full Ridgerunner suite going - Spindrift sock, Lynx UQ, Cloudburst tarp, and the full UQ. By the end of the weekend, he wasn't the only one outfitted in a pretty sweet RR setup.

By morning Saturday, we had hit a nice low overnight, but the best was yet to come

Keeping with the gear theme, lots of folks definitely brought along gear to play with. MrsMustardman and I did most of our cooking with twigs gathered off the ground, using our BushBuddy Ultra and Backcountry Boiler. We brought three or four more other stoves, but never even got them out of the car.

The Backcountry Boiler was a big hit at the hang, and we boiled a LOT of cups of water in it. The amount of flame you can squeeze out of this thing when you really get some air going through the chimney is downright impressive

All weekend, we had some tenacious critters trying to steal our food, including this chipmunk:

and many, many of these jays:

And boy was there food to steal. In addition to the Chili from Friday night, on Saturday we had an outright absurd feast. Off the top of my head, we had: Meatball sandwiches, three flavors of chicken wings, burritos, beef stroganoff (which froze SOLID within a half hour of the stove being turned off), potato and macaroni salad, steak with potatoes and onions, tons of desserts, bananas with chocolate and marshmallows melted inside, a brownie-cookie hybrid that was just AWFUL , and many more desserts. It looked something like this:

As night rolled around, the temperatures dropped FAST, so we decided to go all-out with our insulation scheme, and added the Spindrift to our Ridgerunner, as well as borrowing a Winter Yeti and Winter Lynx from Brandon, and a Travel Sock as well. We liked them so much, we bought all three from him in the morning

By morning, it had gotten quite cold - even colder than last year's winter hang. Some of us had some trouble staying warm, but overall the night was a huge success. We ended up with 13 hammocks hung for Saturday night.

In the morning, we gathered everyone up for a group picture, before we all rushed to take down our hammocks and head our respective directions. Ice Man had a long drive back home, so he cut out early in the morning, but I think we got all the rest of the Saturday night hangers:

The better half and I finished up the day by driving up over Guanella pass, and stopping at Tommyknocker brewery in Idaho Springs for burgers and beers with Brandon. A great finish to a GREAT weekend.

I wanted to thank all of the folks for coming out - from as far away as Iowa and South Dakota, and making this one of the largest, most successful Colorado hangs yet. The feast ya'll provided was just incredible, and the company was even better. We had a blast and can't wait to do it again - perhaps slightly warmer this time
    Last edited by Mustardman; 10-08-2012 at 16:07.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    My post from the "planning" thread...better posted here:

It was a pleasure meeting all of you. I only wish we could have stayed Saturday night but alas my wife didn't want to "hang" . I did take a few shots and will post a teaser of our drive. The link takes you to the rest of the shots.

Here's a shot from the top of Guanella pass on the way to the camp ground from I70 / Georgetown:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...ng%2010-06-12/
    Where ever you go, there you are?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    ...We had a blast and can't wait to do it again - perhaps slightly warmer this time
    Wait, I thought this was the FALL hang? Don't we still have the WINTER hang to plan??!
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    Oh and how'd you like the Spindrift Mustardman?
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    Oh and how'd you like the Spindrift Mustardman?
    MrsMustardman took the ridge runner for night 2 - I was in the blackbird with the traveler sock. We both thoroughly enjoyed the extra warmth, although we got a decent amount of frost above our faces that would occasionally rain down a bit of snow on us. Still well worth it though to cut the wind and chill out of the air.

Images
    I am bummed that I missed this. My son and I are just getting into the hanging. He is playing football this year so it will be a little while before we get out to a gathering. Great pics. thanks to all

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HangDenAround View Post
    I am bummed that I missed this. My son and I are just getting into the hanging. He is playing football this year so it will be a little while before we get out to a gathering. Great pics. thanks to all
    We would have definitely loved to have you - there was WAY too much food and we needed more hungry campers!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    3 season WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Great Time at Burning Bear

Thanks for allowing me to learn from ya'all... I had a great time, and sorry I missed the Saturday night feast..

I trust the South Dakotans made it back home ok

I would like to say you guys will see me at the next hang, but you probably won't because I will be invisible under my NEW CAMO SUPERFLY!!!

Thanks, Brandon!

(and I hope this post ends up where i intend it)

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Thanks for joining us, Lance - it's always exciting when we get to welcome new hangers at these events, and I think we had two this time around. I was glad to hear you kept warm at night, and got a chance to play around with different insulation options. You might possibly have been the first person to buy some Warbonnet gear during the hang, but you were far from the last

Hammock
    Clark TX 250
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Had a real blast! The highlite of the day was that super aggressive camp robber bird showing such disdain for humans that it landed on my head! Sitting at the table talking to Slowanderer, and felt something hit the hood of my parka. Slowanderer said "You won't believe this, but there's a BIRD on your head!" Soon as I said "get the camera." it was gone and couldn't be lured back for a photo, even with a cracker. Maybe I should've checked to see if it didn't "express it's opinion" on me. It was a real pleasure meeting the people behind the names here on the forum. Thank you all for showing up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast