3 Hour Recharge in the Woods

As great it is to get out and have few days out in the woods, that doesn't always get to happen due to time constraints and other commitments. I'm lucky in the fact that within 15 minutes of where I live, I can get to three state recreation areas, covering thousands of acres. The opportunity is always there to take a break and enjoy some quality time, it's just a matter of telling myself to do it. Here in Michigan, we finally got snow and today I had a couple hours to head out to one of my favorite places, Bloomer State Park #3 in the Ortonville Recreation Area.

Last year, I never got out snowshoeing due to our lack of snow and was looking forward to some much needed exercise and some fresh air. I packed up my daypack with the essentials, plus my eno & tarp. I had also gotten a OR gore-tex jacket from Santa and wanted to try that out too. Even though the lot was pretty full when I got there, I know that in the winter, most people take the short trail over to the sledding hill. I got my gear on, headed up the outer loop trail and within minutes I was starting to experience that feeling you get when it's just you and the spirit of nature.

It took a little bit to get back into snowshoeing form and start feeling those little aches and pains to seem to hit me a lot more as I get older. Didn't pass anyone for the first hour or so as I worked my way down the trail. Searching for the perfect spot to hang and take a break, I found what I was looking for: great trees and an even better view of the woods. I set up the eno, pulled out the WW 5x7 tarp (too small for rain coverage, but perfect for a quick day hike) and got out my pot and homemade alcohol stove for some lunch. Lounged a bit in the hammock while my soup and hot cider cooked, then lounged some more while I ate it. It even started to snow a bit, making the woods even more beautiful.

Meanwhile, the mental batteries where recharging even more and I knew I had to get moving soon. So, I packed up and headed back to the trail for the 30 minute hike to my car. I still never saw anyone until I got closer to the people sledding near the parking lot. Getting out for a couple hours does wonders for the soul and provides a way to slow down life a bit. It never hurts to reflect on how each of us fits in as part of the "big picture". Enjoy the time you have, because you just never know what's down the next trail.
    [/IMG]
    [/IMG]

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I did the same same as you Wed during the Blizzard,,,we finally got 11 inches or so of snow and did some snow shoeing and will again tomorrow after last nites dump of another 6 or so inches more..going to take the cross bow just in case I jump some deer as well and will be doing about a 5 mile or so recharge in the snow. Love it like this in the peace and solitude and in all the white fluffy stuff.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Good to have a "recharging station" so close to home. Lovely pics--enjoy the snow.

Images
    Great day hike report. And you are right, for me it is often so difficult to just take the 1st step and get out there. But, it is all so rewarding if I just get out there, even if just for a few hours. Glad you got to some snow time after last years disappointing conditions.

Your story is inspirational. Really got me thinking that I need to get out more, and how a full day isn't necessary for a good recharge. Thanks!
    The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail.
    - Gustaf Lindborg

The suspense is thrilling me!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Good write up. Good observations. There is something magical and rejuvenating about nature. Every season has its beauty but there is something about winter and snow in the woods which resonates with me. Although i live in the mountains for many years i didn't get out to drink deep. The last few years i changed that and get out regularly in the winter. Was out today.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Nice recharge, I too got out last night for some much needed hang time. Gotta love the snow, so peaceful and quiet
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    Cant wait till I can get out in the woods and it look like that we dont get much of that white stuff here in Ga

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    That's what it's all about, good stuff

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Good report and a good message; I'm a bit bummed because I didn't get out over the Christmas break; had a good time with the family and got some work done on the house but I feel like I let myself down by not getting out if only for one afternoon!

thanks
    Gideon

• + New Posts