HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com

material- too many choices perhaps?

So a few questions- I've e-mailed Randy but I figured I'd post this here to you the owners of the 253 hammocks he's already made!

And here it is!

I'm a heavy guy, what do you suggest material wise? I'd like a tough material that's still comfortable and soft. double layer of course. I was thinking the 1.9 oz night grid- but i don't get the difference between a lot of the fabrics... with that said I think the 2.6 crinkle is cool but it just doesn't look as tough and resilient in the photos(haha). Without the opportunity to really touch and handle the material it's tough for me to just shell out nearly 300 bucks. what are your recommendations for all this?

I want this to replace my hennessy as my go to hammock. As you noticed I started a thread awhile back on the hammock forums to show me their dangerbirds. This has given me an idea on the range of colours but not much on how the guys feel in them. For instance, how jarring is the colour difference on the crinkle taffeta, will I be waking up in the morning light getting glittery reflections and thinking I'm stuck on the set of a twilight movie?

And finally, I plan to lose a lot of weight over the next few years, is this hammock going to cocoon me when i do lose said weight? I don't want excess material flapping in the breeze and my face all night.

Well thanks a lot! hope to hear from you soon.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    How heavy?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Do you need a double for use with a pad or is a single layer still an option?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    The taffeta is certainly nice against the skin, but I personally prefer the slight stretch that 1.1 ripstop provides. As already mentioned, it depends a bit on your exact weight and needs. If it were me, I'd probably go with a 1.1 or 1.6 DL. That way, it'd hold your weight and give you the flexibility of using something in between the layers if you ever need to.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    HH, ENO, GT, soon-BIAS, Dream
    Tarp
    70D Hex more soon!
    Insulation
    Nest/sniveller
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    I'm 265 so most single layers are out.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surreal_trip View Post
    I'm 265 so most single layers are out.
    Most any double-layer should serve you fine in this case, especially if you plan on shedding a few.

Is the weight of the hammock an issue (for backpacking, etc.)? If so, I'd go 1.1 DL. If not, I'd go with the 1.6 (or as a last resort) a 1.9. As I mentioned previously, I like the slight stretch of the lighter ripstops.

In the end, though, any double layer will serve you well. Unless weight of the hammock is an issue, it might just suit you to choose whichever color you like. In the end, aesthetics are important.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I'm pushing 260 now. and really need to get out more than I have lately.

Many of you know I like a heavy, non-stretch fabric under me and don't care for any "springyness" in my hammocks.

My regular "shop hammock" now is a single layer 2.3oz Woodland Camo Poly/Nylon blend.
    It's got a great feel to it and is rock solid. I've got it rated at 265lbs, but I'm thinking it would be plenty comfortable for someone heavier than this. I even decided to take this one out for last month's Boy Scout campout. I'm thinking I need a new DangerBird using this fabric.

The other fabric I've been real happy with is the 1.6oz ACU Camo ripstop nylon. Soft, pliable and not the slightest plastic feeling. If you're thinking double layer, I'd suggest looking closely at this one.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w doors
    Insulation
    Warm and fluffy
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm pushing 260 now. and really need to get out more than I have lately.

Many of you know I like a heavy, non-stretch fabric under me and don't care for any "springyness" in my hammocks.

My regular "shop hammock" now is a single layer 2.3oz Woodland Camo Poly/Nylon blend.
    It's got a great feel to it and is rock solid. I've got it rated at 265lbs, but I'm thinking it would be plenty comfortable for someone heavier than this. I even decided to take this one out for last month's Boy Scout campout. I'm thinking I need a new DangerBird using this fabric.

The other fabric I've been real happy with is the 1.6oz ACU Camo ripstop nylon. Soft, pliable and not the slightest plastic feeling. If you're thinking double layer, I'd suggest looking closely at this one.
    What fabric feels the best on the skin and is the softness that would support 230# in a SL?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Contact me with your address and I'd be happy to get a swatch of the 2.3oz Woodland Camo mailed out to you.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'm told Ed Speer used Supplex nylon for his extra-strength hammocks. I started out with this fabric (from Quest Outfitters), and I still like it a lot. It's tough enough for dog hammocks, but feels incredibly soft. Use it single layer.
    PapaSmurf's 2.3 oz Poly/Nylon blend sounds like a good choice, too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast