WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup

Hammocking with dogs

Well, been a while since Ive been on here and a buddy got me all back into it again. That and we have a 20 mile Scout hike/campout this coming weekend. Might be snow on the ground, maybe not. Looking at the forcast its supposed to be around Mid 40's to Low 29 or so. We are hiking 10 miles up, camping then 10 miles back down. I know my dog can handle the hike but havnt taken him out on an overnighter yet while hammocking. He is an Australian Shepard/Blue Healer mix.
    So, what are your experiences or expert advise on taking a doggy and what to do with him at night? He doesnt wander and does listen to me, very smart doggy. THanks

Hammock
    Underquilts.com doublenest
    Tarp
    12x10 DIY w/ doors
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Woopie/Tree Strap
    Well he may be a great asset to your hikes in any real survival situation or if you are packing light. That dog can carry quite a load! Not to mention with the Blue Heeler you have a nice hunting dog there, and ferocious if needed to be.

The only real way to know is to take him and introduce him to it. Though you would be IMO well advised to start with a day hike and laying in your hammock and setting up whatever you plan to be his bed with him attached to a tree. This way if he isn't receptive to sleeping under your hammock you aren't up all night 10 miles in the woods.

But if you already know he will be relaxed through the night and with the new sleeping arrangement then basically take an extra ccf or some kind of warm fleece blanket and lay it under your hammock for his bed. This will protect him from the elements should it snow or rain and his warmth might even radiate up to you a bit.

Whatever you do have a great time.

Hammock
    WBRR & WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom Old Man Win
    Insulation
    My fat butt
    Suspension
    My kids
    There are many people on here that take their dogs on trips with them. There are also many threads about if people have the dog sleep with them or on the ground under them.

Hammock
    BB 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies & straps
    Before my lab was killed he went with me on every trip whether it was tent or hammock. He was so well behaved I never had to worry about him and he loved sleeping right under the hammock. I have a fiest/pitt rescue and she has issues . First she has to be close to me and wants to climb in so it adds 40lbs of weight and she's a bed hog. She also hates bugs especially the little ones that like to crawl on people and pets. This fall we got into a few seed ticks and chiggers and they drove her nuts! In the middle of the night she would get frustrated and jump up like I was doing something to her and run to other campers for relief . I couldn't help but laugh uncontrollably! She tried to claw her way into the tent with a friend of mine to hide because she thought something was after her. He has to take ambien to sleep and didn't wake up . The next morning he wanted to know what happened and why his tent was collapsed. I told him "well you invited her to spend the night with you and she got mad when you wouldn't let her in. Good memories anyway

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1, HH Scout
    Tarp
    Modified Chinook
    Insulation
    UQ Incubator 20'
    Suspension
    Dutch & WBBB setup
    Ya, he's really good. Did a 20 mile day hike with us and I think he did about 25 when it was all said and done. Went after every ground squirrel in sight. Well, called up to Cumberland Gap where we're going and 2" snow only on top of the mountain. Weekend is supposed to be nice. So hopefully it will be gone before we get up there. Also forgot to mention the kids will be sleeping in a cabin that has large flat boulders for a floor. Havent been there before but thats what I was told. So I will bring a fleece blanket but I'm pretty sure he'll sleep with my son on his sleeping bag. Never thought of using him as a pack mule but dont think I would anyways. I dont mind carrying his food. Thanks

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have a 3 yr. old Goldendoodle that I take hiking every chance I get. From my research a dog can safely carry 7-10% of its body weight (that is between 3.5-4 lbs she can carry) . My dog has her own pack in which she carries her own food (enough for 2-3 days), collapsible water bowl, and her lead to tie her off night so she don't go wandering off. As for sleeping, I have an old yoga mat of my wife's that I cut in half for her to sleep under my hammock. When it gets cold she will climb up into the hammock with me and lay down at the foot of the hammock which isn't bad since it will keep your feet warm.

Personally, I don't think the fleece is a good idea for the dog if they are going to be on the ground. The fleece will try to adhere to every leaf, twig, or plant that it comes in contact.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    My dog comes with me on almost all of my outings. I tie a lead to my whoopies. He never wonders, but I just sleep better not having to worrie about him. He's a boxer, so he doesnt' have much hair. This weekend it got down to 18*. I wrapped my down jacket around him and I hung my hammock a little low so he could get up against me. He did fine. I would think that the pooch you described would do fine.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

I have a little doggy (chi/pek mutt we think) who always comes with me when I camp. I am a little tough on her about the weather and accomodations in that I think she is a dog and should acclimate and learn to tough it out when it's cold. Unless it is a safety situation or she is outright shivering I wouldn't put a coat on her (she already has one ) but some people do.

My bf has a short haired doggy who he accomodates a little more nicely. He will put her in a coat or rain jacket or what have you. He also has her wear a pack for overnights. I don't think it's a pack mule line of thinking, more of a way for her to know she's on the team, has a job and is pulling her weight. She's smart. She's an Aussie mix too. You might want to look into a dog coat or something to keep your dog from getting wet if it'll be snowing. Not too expensive and there's some after Xmas sales going on.

At night Tori (my dog) will dig herself a hole and hunker down. Last time we were out I think it went down to about 30 and she dug herself a hole and I covered her with leaves. I looked and felt to see if she was shivering every so often. She wasn't. I do tie her off nearby. She probably wouldn't run (yours listens so it'd probably be alright too) but it just gives me peace of mind.

Little long winded. Good for you taking the doggy. I think they like it as much as we do.
    "For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous.
    Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant!" - Edward Abbey

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This video may give you some ideas on how to camp with your pup. They're the best trail buddy you could ask for.

Fronkey

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    I've got a beagle/catahoula mix that goes with me on camping and river trips (except trips to Nat'l Parks where dogs aren't allowed). The biggest concern I would have is making sure your pup stays warm. Also be sure to check your pup's paws and make sure they aren't getting tender or getting stabbed by stickers.

I generally don't camp unless it's over 40 degrees, so I haven't had him in super cold temps. When it gets below 60, he usually ends up jumping into my hammock and sleeping next to me. The other night, I did a test hang in my back yard and it got down to around 50. Not only did he climb into my hammock, but he crawled down into my sleeping bag (had it draped over me like a TQ) and slept there the entire night. It was like having a space heater in my hammock. Granted, he's a small dog, so he fits in my hammock just fine.

When I'm not sleeping, I keep him on a leash tied to a tree or something because he will wonder off and follow a scent trail if left to his own devices.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast