Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

-10º .. 1/2 UQ & Pads Sleep Report

It was a blustery, damp 0º when I crawled into the ol' DIY hammock at Midnight last eve ..... used the DIY 1/2 UQ with my Down Vest spread inside to boost warmth and a blue CCF pad and ripstop nylon covered GG thin pad in my SPE.
    0º REI sleeping bag as TQ. I must say that I was very warm on my back, head and buttocks. Around 5AM my feet were starting to get cold ... I think that pad alone under feet in what dropped down to -10º was just not enough for the long night. So I grabbed my down parka, zipped it up and slip it over the end of my bag over my popsicle toes and that helped but took 30 minutes to do so. My feet were in 2 pairs of SmartWool socks and covered by my trusty JRB Down Sleeves.
    Wore a thin fleece balaclava, Possum Down Beanie, down hood and put on my polarfleece face mask at around 3:30AM. Two SmartWool tops, wind shirt and thin fleece shirt and Thru-Hiker DIY Kinsman top were adorned on my torso. Legs were in old REI Capaline long johns, fleece tights, wind pants and Mont Bell ThermaWrap pants unzipped until around 6AM when I reached down and zipped them up. Then my cat, Timmy Tooleman, came out and jumped up in the hammock with me... my wife had let him out for his 5 minute rabbit hunt!
    Very frosty on inside of tarp as to be expected. One set of doors open and one set closed. Windy somewhat last night.
    In summing up this night of sleep I conclude that in a brutally cold Minnesota night I will absolutely be warmer, especially in the foot area with my full DIY UQ. Will probably take out the GG pad and haul along the BA Insulated pad. Maybe will try the 1/2 UQ theory again with the blue CCF pad and the BA Insulated pad instead of the GG pad and see if my foot area stays warmer. Ahhhh.... Testing.
    On a side note ... when I woke for good at 6:45 I made cocoa from the hammock with a MiniBull Mini-Atomic and it boiled 1 1/2 cups of water in about 12 minutes. Cold stove and pot. Slept with water so it was good to go and slept with alcohol in my pockets so the fuel was somewhat warm. Nice and quiet ... slower than MSR stove but no flare ups and less fiddly. I just laid back and waited and stared at my tarp with the lovely ice show.
    That is my 1/2 UQ-Pad-Frigid Weather Report.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug of the Frosty Feet
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Interesting, I like your comment about the full length UQ might have been warmer. I have been looking at the 3/4 ones and wondering about that. Thanks for a great report. Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Liking the reports from the Frosty Front Line shug.

One of the benefits of being on top of a "shorty" Downmat is that it lifts me up off the hammock body a wee bit, which means less compression on the lower legs, helps the foot box of the overquilt or bag to do its thing.

minus 10 is a good challenge any way you look at it.

Going through the list of your sleeping gear, I understand now why you pull a pulk around

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    Interesting, I like your comment about the full length UQ might have been warmer. I have been looking at the 3/4 ones and wondering about that. Thanks for a great report. Mule
    Having both is the ULTIMATE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Liking the reports from the Frosty Front Line shug.
    One of the benefits of being on top of a "shorty" Downmat is that it lifts me up off the hammock body a wee bit, which means less compression on the lower legs, helps the foot box of the overquilt or bag to do its thing.
    minus 10 is a good challenge any way you look at it.
    Going through the list of your sleeping gear, I understand now why you pull a pulk around
    Grizz
    A feller don't wanna get cold out there...... Most of the time I sleep in what I am wearing outside. Had been out by the fire for 3 hours or so and normally just crawl in with what I have on. Nice in the morning to just get out and be dressed ... the epitome of laziness. Looking forward to taking the pulk out Jan. 11th with Kurt ... a poster on here. We are finally about to get a trip together in the Frigid Minnesota north Woods. Not totally confirmed yet but looking good.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    That was a pretty good report. Thanks for the effort. The thing I was wondering was how long would it take to assemble all of that in the field? I believe I have enough kit to get me down to -30 F, but I would not want to carry all of that with me. Okay come to think of it, I probably would not want ME to be out in the field at -30 F either!

Nevertheless, I would not want ponder a simple 47 step process for setting up when I'm tired and cold already. I'm slow enough when I am not tired or cold.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    That was a pretty good report. Thanks for the effort. The thing I was wondering was how long would it take to assemble all of that in the field? I believe I have enough kit to get me down to -30 F, but I would not want to carry all of that with me. Okay come to think of it, I probably would not want ME to be out in the field at -30 F either!

Nevertheless, I would not want ponder a simple 47 step process for setting up when I'm tired and cold already. I'm slow enough when I am not tired or cold.
    Actually very easy .... I do practice a lot though. But the pads slip easily into the SPE ... I usually have one out on the ground in the field to sit/kneel on and before bed just lift my bag to the side and slip it into the SPE. The UQ is very easy to attach ... I use Warbonnet guys technique as it is very fast in winter when you don't want fingers exposed too long. Shock cords in channels down the side of the UQ ...easily adjustable up or down ...mitten clip to hook it to hammock. Takes about a minute. down vest is just laid in there. Tarp set up I use figure 9s as they have proven very solid and reliable to me. Very quick ... no knots. Hammock has webbing and cinch type buckles so that is also very quick and light. All in all a very efficient and COMFORTABLE system for me.
    In winter there is bulk and some extra weight but it is winter and one wants to be sure that a warm sleep is awaiting.
    My winter pack for a 3 to 4 day trip is around 26 -30 pound normally. Food included.
    Shug

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

You were braver than I was last night

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    0º REI sleeping bag as TQ.
    That is my 1/2 UQ-Pad-Frigid Weather Report.
    All secure in sector seven,
    Shug of the Frosty Feet
    I find that at cold temps my mummy bag works better to keep my head warm than anything else I've tried. Is your REI bag a mummy?
    Feet: the only thing I've found that'll keep my feet warm is my boot liners: 400g Thinsulate.

I was going to do a little VBL testing last night, but we ended up doing some entertaining and I ran out of time to set up.

The temperature continued to drop this morning and bottomed out at -12 at 8:30AM - you coulda claimed a few more degrees if you had hung a few more hours ;-)

The 11th is a go!

--Kurt

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    I find that at cold temps my mummy bag works better to keep my head warm than anything else I've tried. Is your REI bag a mummy?
    Feet: the only thing I've found that'll keep my feet warm is my boot liners: 400g Thinsulate.

I was going to do a little VBL testing last night, but we ended up doing some entertaining and I ran out of time to set up.

The temperature continued to drop this morning and bottomed out at -12 at 8:30AM - you coulda claimed a few more degrees if you had hung a few more hours ;-)

The 11th is a go!

--Kurt
    Cool!
    It is a mummy and in the early morn i pulled the hood around on my head in a quasi quilt/mummy mode. Ahhhh ... good.
    Good night to be out as today is a goof off day. No show tonight.. first time in 10 or 11 years.

Images
    Amazing results considering you used a thin GG pad, and that is all that was under your feet? So yes, a full length quilt would have been better, but also- as you are planning to test- just a thicker pad?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Amazing results considering you used a thin GG pad, and that is all that was under your feet? So yes, a full length quilt would have been better, but also- as you are planning to test- just a thicker pad?
    BillyBob .... I had the blue CCF pad as well. Put on the full UQ now and will use just the BA Insulated pad with that on next sub 0º night ..... can't wait!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast