Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap

Darn CBS I think I FUBAR'd

So I packed into Washington Park north of Payson Az last weekend and it got down to 22°. I was using my 0° incubator with a 0° down mummy bag with my winter incubator top quilt and hot water bottle, problem CBS...? EVERYTHING except my but and hips stayed warm and mostly to warm and cant figure out what went wrong. So my question is should I be trying a pad from mid back to mid thigh? The uq ends were synched off tight to prevent air flow and I even added a bungee in the middle to keep from getting an air gap mid quilt. And my tarp was hung low with the ends closed off and snow piled on the edges to keep wind from blowing. I was debating cutting up Reflectixs( or how ever that is spelled) or using a double reflective layer foam core car window thingy I saw at Wally world. Any thoughts or sugjestions would be nice. Oh and per hammock forums rule #1 and I paraphrase ( If there are no pictures it never happened. ) here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lowclass; 12-30-2012 at 22:11.
    I LIVE FOR THE DAY AFTER TWO DAYS BEFORE TOMORROW.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    i dont know what hammock you were using but i found with my sw i had to only "cinch the ends to where it touched the hammock, and by pulling up the sides I actually created a gap, instead of my body weight taking up the gap___ if that makes sense. with my wbbb i tightned the ends pretty good and that helps with that one, the difference being how much i sag once in the hammock,, alot more in the wbb then the sw. with that said i snug the uq to the hammock and let my body do the rest not to tight and not too loose keep at it you will find what works for you
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    If you are sliding down in hammock and not sliding the incubator down with you it will creat a gap. Try hanging your head end a little higher so hammock is more leveled out with you in it and make sure your rear is not on part of UQ cut for your legs. I have 0 incubator and I just have to adjust it the way it's designed to fit and it is crazy warm. Hope this makes sense
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I would guess that you had a gp under you butt that caused your CBS. Even with the ends and sides snugged up I've had this happen. If you run your hand between your hammock and UQ and find any area that your hand is not pushing them apart you will likely get a cold spot. Try loosening the ends a bit and pulling the side suspension tighter.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    HH Exp Deluxe / DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    The first time I used my DIY UQ, I got CBS. I found that I tightened the UQ ends to much not allowing the rest of the UQ to stay in contact with the hammock, thus giving me CBS. The ends can get to tight and the fabric cannot spread out and then the center cannot make contact with your butt. When I loosened the shock cord in the ends of the UQ, the shock cord running the lenght of the UQ could do there job and hold up the center. After I did this, my CBS went away.

Good luck

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    The problem is suspension adjustment. The quilt will keep you toasty warm. The trick is to get someone of your size to lay in the hammock, in the position that you normally sleep in, while you run around making adjustment to close all gaps from the outside.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    I second Madd777's suggestion of a second person to help setup.

My DIY underquilt is a JRB clone, so you know the design is solid.

The first time I used it was at the Florida hang two years ago. Itsandy helped me to set it up. I didn't have rigging and used bungies. He checked it and it was comfortable to 27 degrees that night.

In later attempts I have CBS off and on, kind of random. I found that using light shock cord helps the setup to be more forgiving.

I also theorize that wind cuts right through my quilt (JRB's may have sturdier material. Mine is 1.1 ripstock). I find that when I add my poncho as a weathershield, it helps quite a bit. I have rigged my poncho with cinches on the ends and carry shock cord rigging
    grinder

Images
    I love my UQs, but them rascals can be tricky can't they, with a lot of fiddle factor? It is probably a suspension adjustment related gap/draft, or you are somehow managing to compress the down right at your butt. Probably the former.

In the meantime, until you get it worked out, the pad under your butt is the quickest cure.

Other likely cures are:
    1: PeaPod or some sort of pod. I have never seen any CBS reported with this approach, nor have I ever had any.
    2:HHSS ( If you are warm anywhere- IOW if it works for you - you are unlikely to have CBS by itself. I certainly never have )
    3: Possibly, if you don't already have one, some sort of JRB style end attached suspension. IOW, shockcords which are attached to loops at the foot and head end of the UQ and go to the hammock end knots or whatever attachment is available. If an UQ moves during the night towards the head or foot, or if you move in either direction, or if it scrunches up and becomes 1/2 inch shorter ( both ends moving towards the middle) you can get gaps. I don't think I have never seen any CBS reported with a MWUQ, which has simple on the end shockcords, so that style suspension MIGHT be more effective, if less convenient.
    4: bridge hammock. No one ever seems to have trouble keeping all parts warm with a JRB Bridge and whatever UQ, I'm imagine it is the same in all bridges.

But in the meantime, put that pad under your butt while you get your suspension problem figured out. Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    StormCrowIncubator
    Suspension
    DIY Strap
    I think I need to check my suspension, I know I thightend the heck out of the ends to prevent a draft. And finding another person roughly my size sounds like a great Idea. Thanks for all the help. I think the next trip will be in single digits so I will apply the loosening the ends and fiddle factor before I go, and take some reflectixs just incase. Thanks all.
    I LIVE FOR THE DAY AFTER TWO DAYS BEFORE TOMORROW.

Images
    I think it was mentioned before but worth repeating. When you climb in the hammock take your hand and feel between the hammock and quilt. It needs to be right up against your back. Even a 1" gap will give you a cold spot.
    hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast