Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tree Savers for Tarp Ridgeline ?

I haven't seen anywhere where folks are using tree savers for tarp ridgelines... I would suspect that tarp ridelines would cause some damage to the bark from the tarps taking a beating during rain or windy situations ( i.e. there has to be some rubbing/pulling from the line flexing with the tarp ). I know I saw in the Florida State Parks thread it said the hammock and tarp must be suspended from the same tree saver but what is everybody else's thoughts on the matter ?

Thanks in advance

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    There are many people who use straps with tarps; it's not unheard of. The forces are a lot less with tarps than hammocks, so unless you're talking about hurricane force winds, very little damage is possible from a tarp. In fact, in some cases the tarp will fail first.

One tree saving technique that I really like and am now using was introduced by CB200T: using a length if hollowed 550 cord so the tarp ridge line can easily slide without damage to the tree.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=64377

I can attest that this works great, especially with dyneema cord.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I've seen this brought up before. On my second hang, I noticed the lash-it I used for my tarp cut into the trees. So I got some tubular 3/4" webbing and ran the lash-it through the webbing. Now I have a different tarp with thicker lines. I didn't use anything with it last time. However, I will use the webbing again if it appears to be cutting into the trees. Basically, it seems, thin line tends to cut. Thicker probably won't.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

dejoha, Thank You Good Sir

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    June makes a good point about cord size, and it should be noted that tree type makes a huge difference too. In my neck of the woods with pines with thick, ruddy bark, if the cord rubs a mark, it (thankfully) isn't cutting into the Cambian layer; it's only cosmetic, and minor--precisely what the bark is intended to protect against. That said, we aim for minimizing marks, however superficial. Some trees with soft bark are worse off for the wear and extra care is needed (even webbing can leave an impression). Using carpet squares or closed cell foam padding between webbing and tree can further minimize damage.

As an LNT trainer, I would say that local guidelines apply. Talk with local forest managers and get the best intel for where you will hang to make the best determination. No one solution is a blanket answer for every situation every time.

Junebugdawn,

Thank You for your response as well .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have noticed in the past with 550 cord that is likes to eat into wood when pressure is applied to the line. In both Afghan and Iraq we used 550 as clothes lines and after a day of hangin' the wash you could see in the 2x4's that they where were slowly being eaten ( 12 hrs period ). On the 13 hrs drive home last night from Florida my mind was wandering and I kept going over tarp ridglines and 550 clothes lines and how they are not much different i.e. both have anchor points around a stationary object, used to suspend things and are a thin line.

In some of the pics I have posted here you can see where I am using 2" white cargo chute webbing that goes back from my rappelling and climbing days of using 3 anchor points for the top rope.

Thank you for the responses so far

Hammock
    Hennessy/ENO/DIY
    Tarp
    Mosquito Diamond
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It makes sense that the "thinner skinned" trees will suffer more damage. I can always anchor on the same straps, if it looks like could damage the tree.

Just want to be sure I don't do anything that might make it harder for the next hanger by causing damge.
    To become Old and Wise, First be Young and Foolish.

"A man who will not read, has no advantage over a man who cannot read." - Attr. Mark Twain

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thinking that in campgrounds and parks...especially drive-up..where you may be scrutinized it may be a good idea to put something on. Even just for show.
    Now....I backpack more than park camp and rarely see the scrutinizers and I usually go back in the woods where it is unlikely that many will hang exactly where I am at that time. There I don't worry about it. Maybe a tree with woodpecker holes and other natural markings. Though I may consider putting sticks between my line and tree if guilt rises up in my campers soul.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition A-sym
    Tarp
    Hennessy Cat
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings.com
    As long as it is not raining I set up my hammock first and then position my ridgeline to rest on my tree huggers. It can be done while raining if you go back and re-set the lines over the huggers after securing your hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have some 1/2" mule tape (or something like that) I use for my vertex, when I noticed the dyneema cord I have on my edge was starting to leave marks in the sweetgum I regularly hang from in the yard. Not girdling damage, but I could see it getting worse over time and repeated hanging.
    The mountains are calling
    and I must go...

-John Muir

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast