Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks

Looking for the Ultimate Ultralight UQ Recommendation

I'm builing an ultralight kit for 3 season backpacking. I currently own a HG 0 degree underquilt and a Phoenix 3/4 20 degree underquilt. The next step is something I can use for most of three seasons in Missouri including the summers. I've looked at getting a 40 degree HG Phoenix but there's really only about 3 oz of difference between that and my 20. For so little weight difference I'd be inclined to simply make due with my 20 degree Phoenix.

I've been looking at Te-Wa brand underquilts; they seem to have a 40 degree UQ that only weights 10.5 onces so that would be a significant weight savings.

I'm looking for recommendations for a truly ultralight underquilt. This will be teamed up with a Darien UL hammock that only weights around 13 oz or so.

for the top quilt I'm looking at Zpacks 40 degree top quilt that only weights a tad over 11 oz.

The goal is to come up with a low weight, low volume TQ, UQ and Hammock for true 3 season use here in Missouri.

Your thoughts and experience are highly sought and appreciated!!

Merry Christmas
    Gideon

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Get the te-wa. I have seen his gear and if I did not make my own stuff I would be set up with the-wa stuff. Very well made....meticulous attention to every detail.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I'm builing an ultralight kit for 3 season backpacking. I currently own a HG 0 degree underquilt and a Phoenix 3/4 20 degree underquilt. The next step is something I can use for most of three seasons in Missouri including the summers. I've looked at getting a 40 degree HG Phoenix but there's really only about 3 oz of difference between that and my 20. For so little weight difference I'd be inclined to simply make due with my 20 degree Phoenix.

I've been looking at Te-Wa brand underquilts; they seem to have a 40 degree UQ that only weights 10.5 onces so that would be a significant weight savings.

I'm looking for recommendations for a truly ultralight underquilt. This will be teamed up with a Darien UL hammock that only weights around 13 oz or so.

for the top quilt I'm looking at Zpacks 40 degree top quilt that only weights a tad over 11 oz.

The goal is to come up with a low weight, low volume TQ, UQ and Hammock for true 3 season use here in Missouri.

Your thoughts and experience are highly sought and appreciated!!

Merry Christmas
    Gideon
    I have a Te-Wa for my summer quilt and I've modified the suspension to use Dutch quilt hooks directly to the hammock body. After modifications it is 9.44 ounces and doesn't have a bunch of lines going everywhere as another plus.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    You might take A look at warbonnet 3 season Yeti At 12.5 oz not only is it light but packs down very small because its one of the shorter quilts and you know the quality is there guaranteed.Also its on sale $165 P.s. and dont blame this one on me.
    Last edited by rngn; 12-25-2012 at 23:31.

Hammock
    WWM
    Tarp
    HG Palace and Hex
    Insulation
    Sniveller & Breeze
    Suspension
    Full suspension?
    Images
    I also have the Te-Wa breeze with one oz over stuff and love it. I use it down to the low 30s with no issue.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    You could also contact Hammock Gear and have them make you one out of 10D or M50. They also use 900fp down so if you had them make one with one of those materials to the same size specs of Te-wa (HG quilts are wider) it would be lighter.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Images

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I made the 3/4 IX UQ a few weeks ago & I'm very happy with it. I've used it in the basement @ ~50* several times.
    I've put it on top a few times also. Now I need to learn about vapor barriers.

For comparison my current custom 3 season set (20*) from Hammock gear the TQ weighs 16.62oz and the UQ weighs 11.79.

Now mind you these are custom, the TQ was made to larger specs (bigger footbox, different taper, wider head end, and one baffle short) and the UQ was made smaller than the stock phoenix.

So all I'm saying is Adam will do custom work, all you need to do is give him a call and find out what he can do for you.

The other quilts that were already mentioned are fantastic, and the z-packs bag is probably the lightest bag out there. But for true weight savings the best thing to do is go custom as then you (and the maker of course) have control (somewhat) of what materials are used and what gets left off (or not needed, like the zipper on the z-packs bag, Velcro on the top edge of the z-packs bag) but Joe will work with you on all this as well, not sure if he will change the dimensions (make it narrower)??

Also don't forget IX, IX is def lighter than the rest, but not as compressible as down, so if space is a requirement then "shucks" it was worth a shot.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    FWIW on IX. I'll speak my peace and move on.

I had high hopes after talking with Mac about his IX stuff that it would fill my need for an UL underquilt based on his sales pitch. I tried it and froze my butt off. I told him about it and got another layer sent to make a double layer - still froze my butt off. I cobbled together a three layer based on his instructions and still didn't find it living up to the stories. By that time it was as heavy, and much bulkier than if I had got a down quilt. In the end, I got a Te-Wa down quilt. I found out later I'm not the only one that has this experience.

So I don't doubt that IX may work for you, and it seems to work for others. But in my experience with IX, success is not universal.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast