Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi guys I'm one of the guys going to Estonia and the one who has been bugging poor rich with hanging questions lol.

Do you think a peice of memory foam in between the layers would offer the same amount of insulation as ccf?

I'm thinking you will prob get a better deal with memory foam.

Happy New Years chaps

Steve

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacko1066 View Post
    Hi guys I'm one of the guys going to Estonia and the one who has been bugging poor rich with hanging questions lol.

Do you think a peice of memory foam in between the layers would offer the same amount of insulation as ccf?

I'm thinking you will prob get a better deal with memory foam.

Happy New Years chaps

Steve
    Won't it compress with your weight? If it does, there won't be much insulation relative to it's uncompressed thickness. Ought to be very comfy though!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Adding a pad adds R value , just like using a thicker quilt adds R value. If your heat output is not making it into the layers of your UQ, it must mean your heat is staying near your back instead of disappearing down below. If your pad is not thick enough to block all of your body heat from escaping below, then that heat will travel on down into the UQ in a normal fashion.

IOW, I can not see how not losing your body heat down below so that it can warm up your UQ can actually be a problem, though some will disagree with me. On the practical side, many a cold back or butt has been cured by adding a pad to an UQ. It has saved me more than once when I found out I was below the abilities of my IX UQ, and it has saved many others from a miserable night also.

One big caveat! If your pad somehow interferes with the fit and "seal" of your UQ, it might not help or might even make matters worse. I suspect, but do not know, that wider, larger ( but not thicker ) pads and very stiff pads might be more prone to that UQ fit interference. Also, do not forget the multi-use possibilities of a pad: emergency go to ground, sit pad, fire fanner, pack frame, etc etc.
    +1 on what BB said
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images
    I don't have an UQ, just an egg crate texture blue Wally pad and a thin Army CCF. In my RR, I've been very warm into the teens using both at the same time, stacked. Total price of both pads together was around $25-30.

I don't understand what the advantage would be in adding an UQ to one of my pads vs 2 pads stacked. The lay would be the same I imagine because in both cases, I'm laying on the pad. Teens is about the lowest I will be at, so I'm already good there.

The only advantage of UQ/pad over 2 pads I can see would possibly be a decrease in the amount of condensation the next morning between my back (I'm in a sleeping bag) and the top of the pad. It does get wet there. Maybe the condensation wouldn't be so bad because the UQ would keep the pad warmer, I'm just guessing here....

Hammock
    DIY 12' GE Tablecloth
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I recently made an UQ with Climashield that is rated for 40*. I have used it in temperatures in that range and could tell that 40* was an accurate representation of the limit of the insulation. Last night I decided to hang in the backyard to see if adding a pad would actually increase the insulative capabilities of the system. I had some sheets of 1/8" white insulation normally used for protective packing of computer and appliances that I slid into the pad sleeve in the hammock. I used my 20* mummy sleeping bag as a TQ. The temps got down into the low 30s last night and I had no problem with being cold at all. I did notice that there was some sweat on the hammock this morning, but apparently not enough to rob me of any BTUs.

SE

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I have a 40* shamu underquilt... I made a sock that took me down to 25*ish... Adding a pad took me down warmly to 18*... Regardless what the logic is... It works for me...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    I have used a pad with a under quilt and it seemed to help

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I used pads for a while before I could afford under quilts. The only real challenge is to get coverage for the shoulders. Stacking, turning, and using extenders are all workable options. The hammock I'm currently testing has a sleeve, not a double layer. It keeps the pad in place nicely, but no shoulder pads.

The past few nights I've used a full length pad, a 1.75" thick self inflating pad. The under quilt is a 20°F. It's only been 27-30°F at night. The other night I tested just the pad so I removed the under quilt. I really expected to get CBS especially where the pad was creased. To my delight, I was just as warm underneath with the under quilt--EXCEPT on my shoulders. The previous nights I slept blissfully, but with cold shoulders I didn't sleep as deeply. Side sleeping helped a little.

I'm sure the UQ would be helpful with the pad at folder temps, but it really didn't add anything to my warmth except around my shoulders.

I agree with others that any added insulation and thickness would help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12