Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE Quilts
    Images

Webbing

For the benefit of the new guy I'd like to learn more about webbing for tree straps.

What are the ups or downs of using nylon or polyester straps? Which is most likely to stretch and how much stretching? How do I Interpret its strength? And finally is the thickness importand?

Thanks

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Nylon stretches polypropylene is the way to go. Most of it is labeled when you buy it. A lot of folks start off with ratchet straps with the hook taken off. I get mine from strapworks or arrowhead equipment.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    For the benefit of the new guy I'd like to learn more about webbing for tree straps.

What are the ups or downs of using nylon or polyester straps? Which is most likely to stretch and how much stretching? How do I Interpret its strength? And finally is the thickness importand?

Thanks
    Nylon stretches bad enough that your butt could be dragging the ground by morning. Polyester or polypro are ideal. Wherever you buy it from should say what its breaking strength is. Ideally a safety factor of 5:1 is recommended. So the breaking strength should be 5x your body weight. Although I think the majority of people, regardless of their weight, use 1000lb break strength straps. It's not the thickness so much as the width. You want at least 1" wide to protect the trees bark.

In short, you want 1" or wider polyester or polypro with a breaking strength of at least 1000lbs.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Nylon webbing stretch, then they relax when unweighted ready to stretch out again next use. Good in some applications but not for hammock suspension as it can do a couple things, first it can leave you dragging rear on the ground. That can leave you susceptible to tearing the hammock or quilts. Second it can affect the comfort of the hammock. They type and build of the nylon will determine how much stretch you might experience as well as your weight and the type of suspension used but most feel its enough to change the hang significantly over night.

Polyester Straps are the way to go. Polypropylene will stretch initially and then not stretch any more, however the strength of most polypro is fairly low. Polyester and most webbings are available in a huge range of strengths as well as thicknesses and variations in how it is woven. Good webbing for hammock hanging will have a tight weave but not be too thick as that can affect the ease of using knots like a Marlin Spike Hitch and it's potential use in rings or buckles that are common adjustments for suspension systems.

Look at the vendors that participate here. We have searched out the best webbings available to use for hammocks suspensions. We have done the testing both in person and some in labs to determine exactly what the webbing we sell can handle.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    For what it's worth I think Paul at AHE sells the best webbing out there. It is very thin and light which makes it perfect for marlin spike applications. It is also super durable and has zero stretch.

• + New Posts