Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Aloha - flying with your gear?

Happy New Year everyone!

So our planned trip down south to hike the Foothills Trail and then drive down to the Keys for another week has somehow morphed into going back to Maui after my wife managed to find us a flight for a ridiculous amount. To say I'm excited is somewhat of an understatement

Last time we were there we kind of went all out a bit, taking family, getting married, staying in a beautiful condo, excursions, golfing - it was truly a trip of a lifetime for us.

This trip we are looking forward to doing things completely different. It's just us, the hammocks, a change of clothes (my wife will no doubt want to pack more but last time I spend most of my time in swimming shorts and that was about it - we actually sent home 1 suitcase with the kids when they went home - and I just love travelling light), just hanging out at some of the places we either missed or really liked being at last time. I would love to bring only carry on but am not sure if we'll have any issues with the gear?
    - Blackbirds should be ok but they do have some hardware
    - Tarps, again the hardware I have some dutch stingerz on them
    - A cook set & alcohol stove (no fuel obviously)
    - I have a Zpacks toothbrush kit - any issues taking this onboard?

Anyone fly and carry on all their stuff?

We were initially thinking of just putting all that stuff in a checked bag but the fear of losing all our hammock gear is to great (we have 2 lay overs). I mean we could easily stay in a hotel but it would be days to get our gear sent to us if it was sent somewhere else (happened to my MIL on the way home from Maui last time) or worse having it go missing. I also thought we would need to bring our TQ's and UQ's but I just looked up the temps for Feb and low shows 69, we're planning on camping near the water rather than higher elevations.

I'm thinking we could get away with just using our down jackets for top insulation and forgo under insulation (I realize under is better but since our BB's are dbl layer, I could always put our spare clothes between the layers if it got that bad and there's always Walmart). I wasn't going to bring the jacket with us but it's something I can wear on the plane and not have to fill up my carry on with a quilt.
    *edit* just looked more closely at the temps and it looks like a UQ might be in order (our new 40*Phoenix UQ's should be small enough....maybe...)

Any advice about carrying on our hammock gear would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by L84toff; 12-31-2012 at 20:23.

• + New Posts