Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Aloha - flying with your gear?

Happy New Year everyone!

So our planned trip down south to hike the Foothills Trail and then drive down to the Keys for another week has somehow morphed into going back to Maui after my wife managed to find us a flight for a ridiculous amount. To say I'm excited is somewhat of an understatement

Last time we were there we kind of went all out a bit, taking family, getting married, staying in a beautiful condo, excursions, golfing - it was truly a trip of a lifetime for us.

This trip we are looking forward to doing things completely different. It's just us, the hammocks, a change of clothes (my wife will no doubt want to pack more but last time I spend most of my time in swimming shorts and that was about it - we actually sent home 1 suitcase with the kids when they went home - and I just love travelling light), just hanging out at some of the places we either missed or really liked being at last time. I would love to bring only carry on but am not sure if we'll have any issues with the gear?
    - Blackbirds should be ok but they do have some hardware
    - Tarps, again the hardware I have some dutch stingerz on them
    - A cook set & alcohol stove (no fuel obviously)
    - I have a Zpacks toothbrush kit - any issues taking this onboard?

Anyone fly and carry on all their stuff?

We were initially thinking of just putting all that stuff in a checked bag but the fear of losing all our hammock gear is to great (we have 2 lay overs). I mean we could easily stay in a hotel but it would be days to get our gear sent to us if it was sent somewhere else (happened to my MIL on the way home from Maui last time) or worse having it go missing. I also thought we would need to bring our TQ's and UQ's but I just looked up the temps for Feb and low shows 69, we're planning on camping near the water rather than higher elevations.

I'm thinking we could get away with just using our down jackets for top insulation and forgo under insulation (I realize under is better but since our BB's are dbl layer, I could always put our spare clothes between the layers if it got that bad and there's always Walmart). I wasn't going to bring the jacket with us but it's something I can wear on the plane and not have to fill up my carry on with a quilt.
    *edit* just looked more closely at the temps and it looks like a UQ might be in order (our new 40*Phoenix UQ's should be small enough....maybe...)

Any advice about carrying on our hammock gear would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by L84toff; 12-31-2012 at 20:23.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    I've flown with my WBBB in carry on without a problem. Since the metal can't be used as a weapon you should have no issues (a belt buckle probably has as much metal as all your gear put together).

The only issue I've had flying with gear was the residue on my canister stove set off some detector but after looking at it and making sure I had no fuel was allowed to proceed.

If you're worried about not having an UQ, you could likely pick up a couple cheap CCF pads

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I agree that you shouldnt have any trouble through security with those items. Sounds like a great adventure!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    With the list you have you shouldn't have any issues.

But then again, I never experienced US flights. Last november I took my HH, tarp, cookkit and all to Thailand. Carry on luggage only, a few checks at Paris (Charles de Gaulle) but all good to go...

That reminds me I have to kick myself into finishing that video and share it....

Have a great trip!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    For my 10th anniversary, my wife and I backpacked on Kauai. We had two ultralight packs that fit into a big duffle that we checked in. It was a lot easier and we could pack things there that wouldn't be allowed in carry on luggage.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Oh, and I would bring something for an under quilt. I thought the same thing as you and didn't bring any UQ and regretted it. It was 60s at night and all we had was a fleece blanket. We ended up using the fleece under and it worked, but it's not as convenient.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Not sure about alcohol stoves but I have had several friends that packed there liquid and canister stoves and when they got there bag they had been removed and a note left.
    So I would call the airport and double check..
    They did not pack the fuel of course.

But an alcohol stove looks much less menacing on an xray ide assume lol.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Oh, and I would bring something for an under quilt. I thought the same thing as you and didn't bring any UQ and regretted it. It was 60s at night and all we had was a fleece blanket. We ended up using the fleece under and it worked, but it's not as convenient.
    We'll be there for our 5th. Yeah after looking more closely at the temps, I think we will pack the small UQ's. I would love to do Kauai one of these days - did you guys hang/camp? We would love to explore more of the islands.

It sounds like we should be ok with what gear I'm bringing. Worst case the stove gets left behind and I can make another one when we get there. I'll do a dry run with the packing to make sure everything else fits like I imagine.

Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    We'll be there for our 5th. Yeah after looking more closely at the temps, I think we will pack the small UQ's. I would love to do Kauai one of these days - did you guys hang/camp? We would love to explore more of the islands.

It sounds like we should be ok with what gear I'm bringing. Worst case the stove gets left behind and I can make another one when we get there. I'll do a dry run with the packing to make sure everything else fits like I imagine.

Thanks everyone.
    Yes, we backpacked the Kalalau Trail and slept in hammocks. It was divine; one of my best hammock experiences. We slept above the beach over some lava rocks.

We used cat food can alcohol stoves, which are easy to make on site if necessary. I didn't want to risk losing ANY gear (I brought my small pocket knife, for example), so checking luggage was a no-brianer. I considered carry on, but the TSA is not consistent in what they pilfer through. Better safe than sorry.

Temps

We've had low temps into the low 50's to mid 60's here on the north shore of Kaua'i over the last month and a half. Rain, should also be considered during this time of year for all Hawaiian Islands. It's our *winter months*, no snow, unless your at the higher elevations on the Big Island of Hawaii at 10,000+ feet on Mauna Kea Or Mauna Loa. Due to the prevailing NE trade winds, temps can be pushed to lower temperatures during the evening periods. A light fleece and a rain jacket is always a +, for the *just in case* and will still keep your weight within the *normal range* of things.

Check Local Weather Forecasts & Surf Reports for Ocean conditions.

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/satellite.php

http://magicseaweed.com

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/category/202017/weather

Enjoy your visit!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast