Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images

BlackCat Directions

Since there's been some tarp talk around lately, I thought I'd go ahead and post my directions for making my BlackCat tarp. Here's the link:

http://teamgunnparker.com/blackcat_tarp/Black_Cat_Tarp.htm

I held off posting these for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, I wanted to talk things over with Brian of OES (designer/maker of the MacCat) beforehand. He was great to talk to and VERY supportive of having these publicly available. He's also going to send me his comments on different sections at some point so I can add them - that way people can see how he does things differently in places and have more options.

I'm also not completely done editing these, but I think they're useable at this point. Note: There seems to be a problem with some images loading in IE6 (and maybe earlier versions). Maybe someone more experienced with HTML can help me work out that bug (hint hint Jeff or Troll )? IE7 and Firefox seem to work fine though.

If you use my directions and make a tarp, be sure to let me know how it went for you. I'd also love to have comments and suggestions on things you like or things I should think about changing - formatting, content, whatever.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 08-04-2009 at 18:10. Reason: edited old expired link to point to newer copy
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Site looks great BB. Excellent work. Every thing loaded fine for me (I use Firefox).

I REALLY like the section on setting the tarp up on the ground. That's cool.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Site looks great BB. Excellent work. Every thing loaded fine for me (I use Firefox).

I REALLY like the section on setting the tarp up on the ground. That's cool.
    Thanks, man. I added that ground pitch section in response to a lot of buzz I read on WB a while back, talking about Brian's tarps and how they were too limited to hammock use.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    Okay, now I am more convinced that one of these tarps are usable on the ground. However, I want a poncho tarp, so I am not sure if this is adaptable to that. What are your opinions on this?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Under materials, you forgot to include large textbooks about Math or Physics, used to weigh down the sil material while you work on it.

I suppose any other kind of weights or books would work, but it does seem that the weighty subjects inside your textbooks work best.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    Okay, now I am more convinced that one of these tarps are usable on the ground. However, I want a poncho tarp, so I am not sure if this is adaptable to that. What are your opinions on this?
    IMO, a cover small enough to use as a poncho wouldn't provide enough coverage for a hammock. Then again, I'm a weenie about getting my shelter wet.

I do understand your desire for multi-purpose kit items though. My solution is (or will be very soon) a Packa-like poncho made out of Tyvek. It's a bit heavier than the sil version, but also a lot more durable. It could be used as a ground sheet if necessary, for sleeping (let's hope not) or for keeping a pack off the ground. It could also be strung up as additional coverage in really bad weather. The one I'm getting can be found here if you're interested:

http://www.goodlingoutdoor.com/Poncho.html

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Under materials, you forgot to include large textbooks about Math or Physics, used to weigh down the sil material while you work on it.

I suppose any other kind of weights or books would work, but it does seem that the weighty subjects inside your textbooks work best.
    Over the years I've realized I shouldn't automatically assume that everyone has a Giancoli lying around the house....although they should!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    Over the years I've realized I shouldn't automatically assume that everyone has a Giancoli lying around the house....although they should!
    I actually do. But hey I have a degree in Mathematics and I like to mess around with Physics. In fact, I have Quantum Theory, Bohm sitting next to me along with Introduction to the Theory of Relativity, Bergmann.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I actually do. But hey I have a degree in Mathematics and I like to mess around with Physics. In fact, I have Quantum Theory, Bohm sitting next to me along with Introduction to the Theory of Relativity, Bergmann.
    Sweet! Do you have the Rudin trio as well? And we can't forget Woods' Advanced Calculus...

Images
    I'll see your guys' Calculas book and rasie you a linear systems design and Random Processes (Random Matrix stuff).
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast