Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    It was/is the most complicted yet no fiddle factor at all UQ ever made. I think I'm keeping mine in the precious museum.
    You know, I thought about buying that one that was just sold, but a certain speedy type beat me to it, as he did Rip.

It is one of the few that I never tried. And the general reputation is as you say, MM. But I will be Devil's advocate and throw out 2 possible alternatives to that unequivocal UQ champion:

I speak from ignorance since I have never used Youngblood's design for Speer, the Snugfit. However.
    1: In my talks with Ed speer when I was trying to decide between the Snugfit and PeaPod, he told me ( and later a friend of mine ) that while the SF was a superb design that worked consistently, he personally still preferred the PeaPod for his own use. Now I suppose that could have been that he had long years of experience with his PeaPod, which always worked great as it does for virtually every one, so why fix what ain't broke? Who knows.
    2: Again, I plead ignorance so grain of salt here, but it is hard for me to imagine anything being less fiddle factor free and more consistently warm than not only the above PeaPod, but a JRB MWUQ clipped onto the loops on my original removable net version of the JRB BMBH. In the fiddle factor free category, I actually place it a bit above the PeaPod and all others. Only because there are some minor adjustments to make with a PeaPod, even though IMO it is very hard to screw it up bad. But there is just not much to adjust with the JRB, actually elastic shock cord does not even play a part. You can get by just clipping on with biners with NO shock cord. ( and there is no shock cord with the PeaPod either, just some nylon cord tied on like tying your shoes)

There are 3 thread titles that I do not think exist in the HF archives, though I could have missed it. Assuming within the rated temp range and used with appropriate hammocks ( and maybe not at all, period! ) you do not see a facsimile of these titles:
    1: I was cold in my Speer Snugfit ( at or above rated temps) but then there are few Snugfits out there. Or how about
    2: My butt or back was cold in the Speer PeaPod. It is possible to pull it too tight and get a cold butt, but apparently every one has been able to work that out hence no threads about being cold, and it's not even a dif cut!
    3: I was cold in my JRB MWUQ on a JRB BMBH ( or even on any hammock? Any one seen that complaint? )

Now I might just have missed those threads. So any one who feels like researching do a search and see how mny threads you can find with complaints about any of the above UQs, and/or problems getting them set up to be as warn as expected.

Of course, some people are way colder natured than others, so if an average person is going to OK at a rated 20F, a few others will be OK at 0-10F and there will always be a few ( my wife or daughter for ex ) others who would be cold in the same quilt at 40. regardless, no threads I know of on this problem with these quilts. If some one was cold there would be threads, so maybe they are out there? ( please note I am not counting the top warmth issue with a Pea Pod here, especially with wider/deeper hammocks, I'm just talking about back warmth)

Still, wish I had bought a Snugfit back in the day, definite collectors item! And I missed that one just sold, what a loser! At least I did get a Climashield Yeti, unlike most of the rest of you losers!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    The PeaPods are super easy to attach and use, but they aren't easier than the SnugFit. The SF is literally just clip and go. The only possible fiddling would come from moving the biner to a different knot in the shockcord if you didn't guess it right (snugness) the first time. I've tried just about every quilt out there and I do think you've rattled off the top tier contenders, but for me, the SnugFit wins the day. My biggest issue with the Peapods, and it's totally a 'how I use it' thing, is the lack of being able to really go hard on the diagonal. Yes, I've been able to do it with fair results, but I felt constrained. Can't argue that I wasn't warm though.

If I was forced (and it's going to take the full military force of a moderately sized country to force me) to give up every quilt I had, save one. The one would be the SnugFit. I would cry a river about the loss of my other quilts, but my SF is cherished above all others...even though I'm not allowed to use it anymore because it's "her's".

Although, I gotta say, that dang Lynx from WB is awfully sweet on a RR. It lacks the versatility of being able to be used as effectively on just about any other hammock like the models mentioned here, but nothing fits a hammock better than that thing. Well, so far anyway.
    Trust nobody!

If the Snugfit that is being spoken about is the one that was bought by Adam does it not make one wonder why one that makes a living fluffing Down into all sorts of quilts would want/need one? Maybe he just want's to compare it to his own stuff, add it to his collection, or maybe something else who knows.

I have one, bought 12/27/2008 used maybe twice, I like it will be keeping it(not that I need it obviously) but it is well crafted and a joy to look at and feel under a Hammock.

I also have the full compliment of Adams stuff and use the Burrow daily out of the hammock, sometimes in. I am sure he has made changes since it was new in Feb 2010. Both are fine products. Adam is super skilled at what he does.... wishful thinking on my part I guess

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If I was forced (and it's going to take the full military force of a moderately sized country to force me) to give up every quilt I had, save one. The one would be the SnugFit. I would cry a river about the loss of my other quilts, but my SF is cherished above all others...
    Now you're making me feel really dumb for selling it

And sorry Rip for not giving you a heads up before I sold it, I totally missed this thread sorry

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spotz View Post
    If the Snugfit that is being spoken about is the one that was bought by Adam does it not make one wonder why one that makes a living fluffing Down into all sorts of quilts would want/need one?
    He had one and sold it to fund the creation of his early offerings. I think he said he was able to build 3 quilts with the proceeds of the SnugFit sale. Necessity won out over desire. Glad too, because the result got us HammockGear! Now he has the opportunity to correct a past, and necessary, error.
    Quote Originally Posted by spotz View Post
    .... wishful thinking on my part I guess
    Well that and all those patents.

I do very much wish that Dave (Youngblood) would either start making them again, or sell the rights to someone else to make them. The hammock world is a little bit of a colder place without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Now you're making me feel really dumb for selling it
    I tried to warn you!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post

And sorry Rip for not giving you a heads up before I sold it, I totally missed this thread sorry
    no fret - i'm not a well funded individual, and didn't have the coin at the ready anyways -- but, thanks. your quilt ended up in the right hands.

bump...
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yep, I snagged that baby up! I was so glad to see it come up. ZQ caught it and knew I was looking for one as well. There is a special place in my heart for the SF.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Perhaps we should move this discussion of the SF over to the Bottom insulation forum? This WTB forum is for folks looking for gear, and not necessarily one for discussing the merits of that gear.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Patrick, so serious....looking for gear is looking for merit!

Maybe Adam already has the patent rights to the SF via agreement with Youngblood?!?!?! Wouldn't that be cool.
    The SF is almost as high up as the Eldorado in mystery/hype. I bet if Warbonnet did a run of 50 Eldorados they'ed pre-sale i 1 hour---same with the Snugfit.
    OK, I'm not looking for either, and there's probably no merit in my post I mean I wouldn't want gear that didn't have some merit.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12