BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH

Indoor hammock, recommendations?

Last night I slept inside in my hammock hanging on my TL stand, and decided that it's something that I definitely want to continue on nights when the significant other is out of town** . I slept in my BIAS, my back was a little chilly and my indoor setup is too low for an UQ so I just padded my hammock with a thin comforter.

I'm looking at getting a hammock for indoor use and wanted to see if you guys had any suggestions. I lookeed around the forums and I've seen good things about the cotton Brazilian/Mayan hammocks and was looking at this one. It's a little narrow in size, but I'm confident that it will fit.

Unfortunately my hanging setup is a little low (dictated by my room layout). My ridge pole is 54" off of the ground, so I'm concerned that the longer hammocks wont fit.

So too the point: what suggestions do you have for an indoor (preferably cotton) hammock? I'd love to buy from one of our cottage vendors, but I've not seen any that offer one.

**Said significant other wants me to get one large enough so that we can hang together, even if it's not comfortable enough to sleep in... I'm just not sure I have the space for it

Images
    Have you thought of making a tablecloth hammock? You could whip the ends at whatever length you need, and they are under $20.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57606&highlight=brazilian+polyest er+indoor
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54858&highlight=brazilian+polyest er+indoor

Hammock
    1.4 oz Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    5x7
    Insulation
    PLUQ, Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    10' straps
    I agree - tableclothsfactory hammock might just fit your bill since weight won't matter.

I'm a bigger guy and had issues with the ends of my hammocks failing (I use small diameter chord) so found the best method in my case is to whip the ends and hang the hammock suspension with the whipping bearing the load from the straps. I've had my son jump in while I was in mine and it's held tight so far.

Good luck!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Tablecloth hammocks are neat, but no substitute at all for a Brazilian hammock. Kind of like comparing New Coke to Coke.

11" of overall length isn't much and a total height of 54" is scary. Do you live in a crawlspace? Given your dimensions, I would push you towards the Mayan hammocks. An underquilt will take care of their obvious disadvantage and the open weave of the Mayans let's you get away with a little less overall length. Still, the low ceiling is going to problematic for these types of hammocks. They do indeed like a lot of sag. Ours are about 16" off the floor at their low point with about a 8' ceiling (we tie into the ceilings). If you're using a stand, forget it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BIAS WW w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    WS/TH
    Quote Originally Posted by DBLOCK
    Have you thought of making a tablecloth hammock?
    I greatly prefer the feel of cotton to most synthetics. I've considered making a DIY cotton hammock but I thought I'd see if there were any other suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal
    11" of overall length isn't much and a total height of 54" is scary. Do you live in a crawlspace,
    Close I share an apartment so I have a 10'x15' room. My bed is lofted, and due to the room layout, the end of the ridge pole pretty much has to run under the loft. I can probably get another 3 or so feet on the ridgepole, but height is the major issue. The easy fix is to lose the bed... but the SO would be sad if she couldn't curl up with me every night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal
    Tablecloth hammocks are neat, but no substitute at all for a Brazilian hammock.

Ours are about 16" off the floor at their low point with about a 8' ceiling (we tie into the ceilings). If you're using a stand, forget it.
    Your post (and JustJeffs's) tipped me off to the Brazilian hammocks. Unfortunately, my landlord isn't thrilled about the idea of me anchoring to the walls, and I'm in a way too transitive stage in my life to buy a house... so I'm stuck with a stand of some sort.

I'm not sure that I'll get a traditional down/IX UQ under it. My BIAS is only a few inches off of the floor. I might try just suspending a blanket under it.

I'll check out more Mayan hammocks. In particular, a wide one (as wide as my WW at least) that's short enough to still fit on my ride pole and not drag on the floor. Failing that, I might make a DIY cotton hammock (like Knotty's Brazilian).

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Here's a resource for you, price is right too...
    http://www.mayans.com/doublehammock.php

And one more for you...
    http://hammockcompany.com/
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Oh and for insulation, check out dejoha's no sew pluq. I made one from a fleece throw I had laying around so I wouldn't be usin my camping gear everyday and wearing on it. Works well and easy to follow...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i can't help with the hammock issue, but i use a doubled up down quilt suspended under my brazillian hammock with carabiners and bungee cord,
    this set up has worked for years for me,
    in the summer i use a mayan hammock, which for me is more comfy
    good luck

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Have you thought of making a tablecloth hammock? You could whip the ends at whatever length you need, and they are under $20.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57606&highlight=brazilian+polyest er+indoor
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54858&highlight=brazilian+polyest er+indoor
    Beat me too it... They are comfy and cheap enough experiment to start our with...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    kammok roo/ diy tablecloth
    Tarp
    kelty noahs tarp12
    Insulation
    eno vulcan
    Suspension
    python straps

i love my mayan hammocks

I have had exelent results with mexihammocks.com I have one of there nylon hammocks and one of their cotton hammocks and they are awesome
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts