View Poll Results: Do new designs in cold weather hammocks interest you?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

61 83.56%
  • No!

5 6.85%
  • I never do winter hammock camping.

1 1.37%
  • I already have a hammock especially designed for extreme cold camping.

2 2.74%
  • Looking for more comfortable options in a cold weather hammock.

15 20.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theseakayaker View Post
    inspectorguy,

I see you are in the N.GA mountains. I will be doing a winter hike here soon with a couple of other guys who want to try out my hammocks. The plan is to do a hike into Cohutta. Brey Field or Panther Creek Falls maybe? You are more than welcome to join us and try one out. Clink of my FB page and I will be posting dates and stuff there.
    https://www.facebook.com/PAKITLITE
    Will keep it in mind!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Some interesting designs. Would be cool to see one up close.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    I will be around Cohutta to check them out for sure! Keep us updated, please sir.
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Hammock
    http://camphammocks.com
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Some interesting designs. Would be cool to see one up close.
    I noticed on the HF home page some folks talking about sleeping on their side. Seems not many people are able to do that in their hammock. Why?
    I tried to post some info there but it would not let me.
    To really appreciate the F.O.B, ReconMN and Lightfoot Scout, you have to lay in them. On your back, on your side, on your stomach... they cradle your body so you can give your body what it needs on the trail - A GOOD NIGHTS SLEEP.

If any of you guys live in Georgia and want to stop by to test one out, let me know and I'll set one up for you!
    Last edited by theseakayaker; 01-02-2013 at 18:19.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Voivalin,

No tree savers as of now. BUT, I have to ask, how are you currently tying your lines that you are damaging the tree? Tree's and tree bark are very resilient. A rope wrapped around a tree will not do any long term damage to the bark or the tree itself...well, unless you are trying to hang your car or an elephant.
    My system works on trees that are 10 to 13 feet apart. Since there is very little play in the rope, the knot system I use will not slide down the tree damaging to bark. FYI - When you hang any hammock from trees that are 15 to 20"+ apart, you will have a lot of play and sag and depending on your knot system, more room for the line to loosen and slide down the tree. Yet, a sliding rope on the bark of the tree will not cause any long term damage. Believe me, I've been climbing trees all my life and haven't killed one yet.
    It isn't so much whether a line is damaging to a particular tree; it's whether it is perceived as such. A good example is that--up until the pilot program that started this year--it was illegal to tie anything to a plant in a state park here in Florida. Mostly due to idiotic folks who would do stuff like trying to remove an engine block with a pulley rigged over a branch, but also due to folks tying things to trees improperly.

Also, note that certain types of trees have thinner (more easily damaged) bark than others. I am not an arborist--I couldn't tell you, by sight, which species of trees are more likely than others to be harmed by high pressure in a small area--and I'd wager that the majority of hangers aren't, either. So, for me (and for the majority of us), tree straps are a necessary evil if we wish to continue hanging on public land.

It's just that I, at least, don't want to pay the price of not being able to hang on public land because someone gave a ranger the wrong idea. So, I use tree straps to avoid possible mistakes leading to the consequence of fewer hang spots. That's all.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Also, note that certain types of trees have thinner (more easily damaged) bark than others. I am not an arborist--I couldn't tell you, by sight, which species of trees are more likely than others to be harmed by high pressure in a small area--and I'd wager that the majority of hangers aren't, either. So, for me (and for the majority of us), tree straps are a necessary evil if we wish to continue hanging on public land.
    I have the perfect person to ask about this. He was a plant biologist with UGA, worked for the Forrest Service and won the Wallenberg Award for his work with trees. If anyone knows the answer to what damage could be done, he would. I think you are right though, it's what is "perceived as such". If certain WMA's or National Parks require padding on lines to protect the trees, these are issues one must work with.

Or, you can do what I do. I just use my pants and shirt under the lines as padding. It's a great excuse to run naked through the woods! "What do you mean indecent exposure Mr. Park Ranger sir, I was just trying to protect the tree!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I have the perfect person to ask about this. He was a plant biologist with UGA, worked for the Forrest Service and won the Wallenberg Award for his work with trees. If anyone knows the answer to what damage could be done, he would. I think you are right though, it's what is "perceived as such". If certain WMA's or National Parks require padding on lines to protect the trees, these are issues one must work with.

Or, you can do what I do. I just use my pants and shirt under the lines as padding. It's a great excuse to run naked through the woods! "What do you mean indecent exposure Mr. Park Ranger sir, I was just trying to protect the tree!"
    Yep, having that guy along on trips would definitely be a plus. But, as you say, the issues remain with perception. And...to be sure...I would not only scare away the park rangers and campers if I were to do that, but the bears and the armadillos (which nothing scares) and the gators and the...

But, more seriously, it is a topic that needs to be addressed in the majority of public wild spaces. Just something that I wanted to bring to your attention, is all.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    I just read the FL State notice. It requires one inch webbing. My old systems used one inch webbing and it has the same effect as the poly rope I use. I'll work with my manufacturer to see what we can come up with. I already have a cinch strap in mind that may work better than webbing.

If there is a market for it, I'll get it done!

Hammock
    SwithcBack
    Tarp
    Edge or TrailStar
    Insulation
    quilts and pads
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Images

Question Questions, questions...

I just read the FL State notice. It requires one inch webbing. My old systems used one inch webbing and it has the same effect as the poly rope I use. I'll work with my manufacturer to see what we can come up with. I already have a cinch strap in mind that may work better than webbing.

If there is a market for it, I'll get it done!
    Good to know that customer feedback is noticed.

Is the only difference between F.O.B and ReconMN that there is no bug netting apart from the door in F.O.B as the upper part of ReconMN is all bug netting?

There seems to be invention to use a pole to keep the tarps apex up. But there seems to be no pole in 'Full system' specs. Is the idea to use any hiking pole, wooden stick or similar. What would be the needed length of that pole? I know it depends of the hight the hammock is suspended, but approximately?

Is it feasible to use tarp without the pole?

Why is the 'woodland camo F.O.B' 6 oz lighter than 'olive drab F.O.B'? The specifications seem to be same between those models.

Are the seams of tarps sealed or should to customer do sealing?

How is the rope used at the tree end? Is there some adjusting method, or is the idea to use some kind of knot? Does the adjusting of the suspension need opening the knot and re-tying it again to get the right sag?
    Last edited by voivalin; 01-02-2013 at 15:34.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Peaked Fly
    Insulation
    PAK-IT-LITE System
    Suspension
    Toggled Suspension
    Images
    Is the only difference between F.O.B and ReconMN that there is no bug netting apart from the door in F.O.B as the upper part of ReconMN is all bug netting?
    There seems to be invention to use a pole to keep the tarps apex up. But there seems to be no pole in 'Full system' specs. Is the idea to use any hiking pole, wooden stick or similar. What would be the needed length of that pole? I know it depends of the hight the hammock is suspended, but approximately?
    Is it feasible to use tarp without the pole?
    Why is the 'woodland camo F.O.B' 6 oz lighter than 'olive drab F.O.B'? The specifications seem to be same between those models.
    Are the seams of tarps sealed or should to customer do sealing?
    How is the rope used at the tree end? Is there some adjusting method, or is the idea to use some kind of knot? Does the adjusting of the suspension need opening the knot and re-tying it again to get the right sag?

Yes. The difference between the F.O.B and ReconMN (MN=Moqsuito Netting) is: the F.O.B is enclosed with ripstop nylon, which traps more heat during cold weather use. The door also has a zip out ripstop window for ventilation. The ReconMN is enclosed with netting. Both F.O.B and ReconMN have been tested in overnight temps to 0deg. The F.O.B was 20degs warmer, inside, than the outside air temp. The ReconMN was about 10degs warmer that the outside temp.

The pole in the photos is just to show how the peak works. You can use a hiking pole or tie off the peak to another tree. The peak can be as high as 6'5". And yes, you can use the fly with out a pole. You can also place the tip of a hiking pole in the peaks grommet and the handle of the pole on the hammocks ridgeline, just above the door, and this will also hold the peak in place.
    As of now the seams of the fly are not sealed. BUT, the way the fly is designed, there are no seams directly above the hammock. As well, most seams are done with grossgrain ribbon and not flat felled. This means the seams stand up, making in harder for water to find it's way through the needle holes.
    In blowing rain or snow, the peak can be lowered totally enclosing the hammock.
    I've been is several storms with the peak at it's highest and still stayed very dry.

The hammock body is made from Taslan nylon, which feels like cotton. For some reason the Woodland camo is lighter than the taslan in OD. Hence the weight difference.

My suspension system is different than other hammocks. Mine is a toggle system. On each end of the hammock body and rainfly are nylon loops. These loops are placed over the toggle button at the end of the support line, once it is tied off to the tree. This allows the fly and hammock to hang on the same support line. The hammock or fly can be removed, while the other is still in place, by just taking the loop off the toggle button. No need to untie and retie lines.

I will be posting a video on my web site soon that shows how to set the hammock up. Hope to have it on my site in a few weeks. In the meantime, go to http://camphammocks.com/set_up.html for instructions on how to tie off the lines.

I hope this answers your questions. If you need more info, I can be reached at the toll free number on my web site.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast