Thread: Down? Really???

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer

Down? Really???

Ok, I'm a new guy around here and admit that from the start. Also, I'm not trying to start a fight or irriate anybody, but I've been reading about DriDown and hearing some people talk about how great this stuff is, blah, blah, blah,...but, unless your car camping or have easy access to a clothes dryer, it won't matter very much when your bag gets wet because of some accident or what ever, because once it's wet, it'll dry 60% faster than down, when you get to a tumble dryer. Until then, it'll be a matted wet mess.

Here's where my ignorance shines, because I haven't been watching the technology news, or checking the gear forums, so I admit that my knowledge is old school based on camping equipment from 10-20 years ago. At that time, people were swearing off down because it couldn't save you in an adverse situation.

Just my $.02, but I'm trying to figure out how down can have improved enough to make it a good investment for backpacking. Car camping is another story because you could find a dryer, or if you were camping at a park with amenities. So I won't be jumping on the dry down product train. Just can't take that chance.

My apologies again if I've offended anyone. I hope to learn something new about new gear and am willing to hear differing opinions.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Down packs down great and is very light. I use a compactor bag in my backpack to keep everything dry. I've been on lots of outings and have never had my gear get wet. I realize that accidents can happen, but unless you are being careless you shouldn't have wet gear.

If you know you are going to have to do some crazy water crossings, you might want to look at another alternative.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Caveman: Thanks for not flaming me, first thing. I am investigating winter camping and have been working through the design phase of incorporating an over/under quilt. I'm not excited about tenting when the temps drop to below freezing and I have practiced a few nights hanging. Still in the beginning stages, and that's why the alternate materials struck a chord with me.

Thanks for your advice.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Down has been the superior fill for over 40 years, for anything you want small enough to fit in a pack. For car camping, synthetic is fine, as you don't have the space constraint.
    Worrying about down getting wet would be like worrying about synthetic fill being attacked by a Sasquatch,...it's not likely to happen.
    I could store my down quilts under water in a dry sack if i wanted.

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think most people agree dridown is really designed for humid conditions, light drizzle, minor water exposure and condensation. I know the product claims more but let's face it wet = cold. For me I ordered a dridown bag cause I sweat a lot when I sleep sometimes and I want to be able to open er' up and let the sun dry it out a little faster.

So I don't believe this bag will save my butt it just gives me a little more wiggle room instead of some light condensation ruining my sleep it should give me (not yet tested) some more resilience to moisture. That's how the expert reviews I have seen have claimed the product to work and how I need it to work. Otherwise the bad boy is going into a waterproof stuffsac and being deployed under a tarp.

My 2 cents. (2.03 cents US)

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Not speaking from experience here because I don't own any down products yet, but I believe the main attraction to down is weight and compressed volume, and the fact that it's so soft and fluffy. Another pro is that if taken care of properly down will also outlast synthetics.

Really the only pro to synthetic insulation is that it will still insulate when when.

If you take care of your gear when out, the only thing that should get wet is your waterproofs and tarp. Dwr coating on shells will repel any small accidents.

If the dri down is as good as advertised it will be well worth the investment in my opinion.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caribou Bentspoke View Post
    Down has been the superior fill for over 40 years, for anything you want small enough to fit in a pack. For car camping, synthetic is fine, as you don't have the space constraint.
    Worrying about down getting wet would be like worrying about synthetic fill being attacked by a Sasquatch,...it's not likely to happen.
    I could store my down quilts under water in a dry sack if i wanted.
    Wow, that's some super performing dry sack. I'm impressed.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I agree with the others above, down is the lightest and compresses to the smallest size. I am very careful with my gear, so I don't find it a problem at all using down as an insulator. I use a dry bag to keep is dry.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    I use the poor man's dry bag when I motorcycle camp and that works well, even in poor weather while riding. I like the idea as well as the intent of protecting my gear. I'm gonna have to look at down again, because so many of you have pledged faith in it as the superior product. Thanks

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I have packed and paddled for 30 years and never have I had wet bedding. I am cautious with my packing and have rolled canoes over several times in class IV water. The packing requires some thought, but I really do prefer down for its compressability and warmth. I do carry wool clothing though in the event I get wet. (When rolling those canoes in class IV water. ) I do a lot of paddling in northern Michigan and Wisconsin so even in summer, a big chill is possible. In the early spring and fall, a big chill is probable.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast